Amp used for Megadeth - Cryptic Writings

Chase42147

Reaction score
Hey all, just joined the forum today after a long time of just reading threads. I recently got back into listening to Cryptic Writings by Megadeth, and I think it's my favorite rhythm guitar tone of all time. I've been trying to figure out what amps were used on it. Seems like general consensus is either a CAE 3+ preamp into a VHT power amp, or a Marshall JMP-1 pre into an EL34 100/100 power amp. What are the thoughts here?

V-man

Reaction score
I looked briefly but it’s a pretty obscure “post-JMP1/pre-JVM” period that’s hard to get info on. Hell, even the first 2-3 albums aren’t 100% sorted and we have still been receiving recent updates, like Chris Poland’s interview a couple of years ago.

Chase42147

Reaction score
Oh so he had already stopped using the JMP-1 by then? Also, could I get relatively close with a JVM 205?

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I know that Marty was using Crate amps at that time. Probably one of the Blue Voodoo's IIRC. In my booklet from my CD I bought back when Cryptic Writings came out the only amps mentioned in the notes are Crate amps. There is also a pic of Marty sitting next to a rack unit I "assume" he used during the recording. I can't identify anything in it, maybe someone else can? I realy don't know anything about rack gear myself. There are no pics of Dave with anything gear related. Here is a pic I scanned of the booklet pic of Marty.

V-Type

Reaction score
I know that Marty was using Crate amps at that time. Probably one of the Blue Voodoo's IIRC. In my booklet from my CD I bought back when Cryptic Writings came out the only amps mentioned in the notes are Crate amps. There is also a pic of Marty sitting next to a rack unit I "assume" he used during the recording. I can't identify anything in it, maybe someone else can? I realy don't know anything about rack gear myself. There are no pics of Dave with anything gear related. Here is a pic I scanned of the booklet pic of Marty.

I bought the BV in the late 90's thinking I could achieve Marty Megadeth tones but they just didnt deliver what I heard on the album. Sent Marty a PM a couple years ago about how did you get those Megadeth tones with the Crates. He responded Racked Gear and pedals into the BV's power amp he seems too remember and he did use their BV cabs as well. Makes sense the BV is a Great power amp or clean platform for external Preamps and gear but on its own it doesnt really hit Megadeth all that well. Ymmv.

PelliX

Reaction score
I can't identify anything in it, maybe someone else can? I realy don't know anything about rack gear myself. There are no pics of Dave with anything gear related. Here is a pic I scanned of the booklet pic of Marty.

I can't say I could tie a brand/model to what's visible, but it doesn't really look like the 'toneshaping' parts, more like DAT recording/editing kit, maybe. I think the gear you're interested in is out of shot. After all, he's in the control room.

Anyhow, :welcome: to the MF!

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
I bought the BV in the late 90's thinking I could achieve Marty Megadeth tones but they just didnt deliver what I heard on the album. Sent Marty a PM a couple years ago about how did you get those Megadeth tones with the Crates. He responded Racked Gear and pedals into the BV's power amp he seems too remember and he did use their BV cabs as well. Makes sense the BV is a Great power amp or clean platform for external Preamps and gear but on its own it doesnt really hit Megadeth all that well. Ymmv.

Dude I knew skipped town and number-dropped me to the amp tech who rang me up. “Someone” owed $60 for the return of this repaired BV60 112 combo. I went, paid and fetched it. Then it sat up, getting used maybe a dozen or so times before needing a second service a few years later. I paid again.

The drive channel was dogshit. The clean “seemed OK” in a world where I hardly worried or scrutinized it closely. After I had my 4100 up and running along with a JCM Super Bass, I no longer had any use for the Blue doorstop.

Made about 5 Craigslist cycles before someone finally bit. I gave him 30 min to go apeshit on it with his guitar in my office parc and apeshit he went. He complained 2 days later something was wrong with it, I reminded him of his wide-open audition to test it out and that was what I suspect to be the last Crate experience I’ll ever have.

Chase42147

Reaction score
It's a bummer the Megadeth tones are so tough to figure out. I would've thought Dave would have mentioned more than he has in interviews but all I recall him saying is he's always been a Marshall guy and sold his streetbike to buy a Marshall stack. Oh, and what he's said about the JVM. Anyway, thanks for all the replies guys!

Dave47857

Reaction score
I am certain that Dave mustaine has the old mentality that if you want that sound then go find it yourself. I personally love trying to duplicate the artists sounds that I look up to. Marty would probably be a better source for that kind of information I feel like he would be more forthcoming. I don’t know though. It’s hard to decipher what it really is when you are trying to put the puzzle together from magazine articles, Tour photos, and interviews

Kutt

Reaction score
Fantastic record, the best of their commercial attempts at radio airplay. Just a really well written record.

If you can find a way to contact Dann Huff, he may be able to help you crack the code.

Chase42147

Reaction score
I am certain that Dave mustaine has the old mentality that if you want that sound then go find it yourself. I personally love trying to duplicate the artists sounds that I look up to. Marty would probably be a better source for that kind of information I feel like he would be more forthcoming. I don’t know though. It’s hard to decipher what it really is when you are trying to put the puzzle together from magazine articles, Tour photos, and interviews
Yeah maybe that's why he's so vague about it. I guess I'll just have to try to get good at dialing in specific tones. I can usually get a good sound out of an amp but copying tones not so much... this will be a good learning experience lol

Chase42147

Reaction score
Fantastic record, the best of their commercial attempts at radio airplay. Just a really well written record.

If you can find a way to contact Dann Huff, he may be able to help you crack the code.
Right? Great songwriting, great playing, and great guitar tone. I don't think there's a bad thing about the album.
Why Dann Huff? Did he work on the record with them?

ElvisNixon

Reaction score
I can't say I could tie a brand/model to what's visible, but it doesn't really look like the 'toneshaping' parts, more like DAT recording/editing kit, maybe. I think the gear you're interested in is out of shot. After all, he's in the control room.

Anyhow, :welcome: to the MF!
The unit on the top of the two pieces on top of the rack is an early Eventide Clockworks unit. Could be an Instant Flanger, Instant Phaser or H910. You can’t tell which one but they were all studio gear that some would use for guitar racks.

I agree that it’s a studio rack. The large white unit at the bottom of the rack is an Akai CD300 sampler. I can’t make out the other items in black. But I agree with @PelliX in that’s not a guitar rack in that picture. If it were a guitar rack, in those days players liked to have their racks in the studio with them. That looks like the control room in the picture, not the studio room.

Kutt

Reaction score
Right? Great songwriting, great playing, and great guitar tone. I don't think there's a bad thing about the album.
Why Dann Huff? Did he work on the record with them?
Yes, he was the Producer. He is also a guitarist. Chances are he remembers more about the tone and recording process than either Mustaine or Friedman.

Dave47857

Reaction score
After a thorough listen I don’t think any of the tones on this album are not going to be too tough to duplicate. The best way to do it is to record yourself. I would recommend a Marshall with an eq in the loop for starters and passive pickups.

Chase42147

Reaction score
Yes, he was the Producer. He is also a guitarist. Chances are he remembers more about the tone and recording process than either Mustaine or Friedman.

That's cool, I didn't realize he was a producer as well. I bet he would remember, from interviews I've seen with him he seems to have a fantastic memory. I bet it would be tough to get a hold of him...

Chase42147

Reaction score
After a thorough listen I don’t think any of the tones on this album are not going to be too tough to duplicate. The best way to do it is to record yourself. I would recommend a Marshall with an eq in the loop for starters and passive pickups.

I have a JVM205H and a DSL40CR, which would get me closer right off the bat? And yeah, I suppose just listening to in the room sound would be significantly harder to hear the tone differences as opposed to a recording

Dave47857

Reaction score
I would say dsl 40 and aim for a 900 base tone. Then start moving the eq. Megadeth live sound is much different from thier studio sound. I would guess that they are heavily eqing things in the studio. Plus mic placement , cabinets and speakers all play a huge part in the sound.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I would say dsl 40 and aim for a 900 base tone. Then start moving the eq. Megadeth live sound is much different from thier studio sound. I would guess that they are heavily eqing things in the studio. Plus mic placement , cabinets and speakers all play a huge part in the sound.
I'd definitely go for more the live sound and not the studio sound. I don't chase anybody's tone though. Really no point IMHO

Chase42147

Reaction score

Yeah the amount of work that goes into studio tones is amazing, pretty much impossible to mimic perfectly without a whole studio worth of gear. I'll give it a shot though! I'll throw an EQ in the loop too