• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Amps we dont talk about in public.

• Thread starter ricksdisconnected
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score
Didn't see any Sovtek mentions either. My main band main amp head for the past 20 years has been a Sovtek Tube Midget (MiG50H). I just dime the gain and put the volume on 6 or 7, and that's all I need. Single channel, no effects.

39125969282_a08eca2673_o.jpg

50615284536_52928a5941_c.jpg

19258272072_980538b594_c.jpg

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score
Finally, there have been a few passing mentions of Peavey, mostly those old indestructible solid states that were seemingly in every garage or warehouse space (someone also mentioned the tube Windsor, I believe).

Kinda surprised I didn't see the EVH inspired models, 5150/6505; or the Satriani JSX. I don't have experience with them as they're pretty high-gain amps, but I picked up a few years ago a Triple XXX 40W combo (I've read that the Triple XXX range was a further modification to the Satriani, but don't know near enough about amps to know if that is accurate). At any rate, it's a cool amp, three channels (clean, crunch, ultra). Picked up used for peanuts.

48788674212_582b5150d8_b.jpg

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Finally, there have been a few passing mentions of Peavey, mostly those old indestructible solid states that were seemingly in every garage or warehouse space (someone also mentioned the tube Windsor, I believe).

Kinda surprised I didn't see the EVH inspired models, 5150/6505; or the Satriani JSX. I don't have experience with them as they're pretty high-gain amps, but I picked up a few years ago a Triple XXX 40W combo (I've read that the Triple XXX range was a further modification to the Satriani, but don't know near enough about amps to know if that is accurate). At any rate, it's a cool amp, three channels (clean, crunch, ultra). Picked up used for peanuts.

48788674212_582b5150d8_b.jpg
Like the porter too. I always think of 5150 etc as mainstream.
I have a 6505 MH amd 6505+ combo too.

M0f0608.jpg

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I guess my Fender Mustang I v1 I have is a perfect candidate for this thread I didn't mention before. The factory presets are pretty much junk on them but once tweaked with the fuse program they can sound pretty darn good. I programed several nice clean, several classic low gain/crunch and several classic high gain settings back when these things 1st came out never hooked it up to the computer since.

Also turned off all the cab sims and ditched the FRFR speaker for a Celestion Eight 15 back then as well which made it sound much more like a real amp. I also made a footswitch out of a 1 gang flanged electrical box and galvanised blank cover, spare switch, 1/4 jack,rubber feet and some auto pinstriping for some 80's flair. It's definitely an amp I never talk about in public/forums. :)

F3F2pni.jpg

Last edited:

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
that thing sounds sweet. bet it makes a good harp amp too.
is that you playing? your channel?

Riffraff

Reaction score
MIJ Guyatone or somethin . I kinda tweaked it in a Tweed direction .The recycled linen bag makes a great see thru amp cover ...

I remember seeing that amp in another thread sometime ago. No doubt about it, it's one of those rare finds. That's a really nice sounding amp Alvin.
I dig the dice controls too. :dude: They definitely fit it's surprisingly ballsy personality.

The little Danelectro DM10 in my closet gets a bit like that when run wide open through an extension cab. I love the little wolf in sheep's clothing amps from days gone by.

Seum

Reaction score
Blackstar Artisan 15 Combo
The most revealing and least expensive amp I have (other amps: Marshall, Soldano, Mesa-Boogie, Fender, Ceriatone). It lets you know what your guitar and playing ability really sounds like.

Douglasu

Reaction score
lets talk amps. no marshalls, no friedman, no boogie, no kits, no orange or vox,
none of the popular amps we normally talk about.
what amps do you have and love that we just normally dont talk about or consider?
i know this could get embarrassing for some of us but hell some of us might find
something new to look at too.
My first tube amp was a crate vintage club 50 with 3 10 inch speakers and it was every bit a first rate amp! Louder than a 747.... And awesome overdrive channel, weight of 84 pounds and rattled all the downstairs windows on 1!! Lol ..... And there in, lied the problem and I hear it's making it's way thru the used market to this day!

Comfort Cove

Reaction score
Seymour Duncan Convertibles!! I have two of these.
120 watts, scalable power, 5 preamp module slots you can do anything with (22 spare modules), buffered effects loop, dual rectifier options, speaker damping . . . so much has been copied from SD's designs.
Greatest non-Marshall non-Vox ever made.

Also . . .
Dr. Z Stangray, best clean tone I've ever used.
Doctor Z Maz Senior, 38 watt 2x12 combo
Dr. Z Maz Junior, 18 watt usually into a 2x10 cab
Dr. Z Galaxie, hotrodded 40 watt tweed Fender Twin, into a 4x10

Gibson GA19T Falcon from 1961
Magnatone/Titano with the stereo doppler effect Tremolo.

gsgtrman

Reaction score
I have a little Victory mid-'60's solid state that I use as a test amp on my bench. 6" speaker, one knob that is a volume and the on/off switch. That little thing makes me smile every time I plug into it. I once daisy chained it with my Vintage Modern to do a low-rent Brian May imitation, that was fun.

Latest posts