Amps we dont talk about in public.

• Thread starter ricksdisconnected
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

riefil

Reaction score
I currently love using my Boss Katana 100 version 1. After several tweaks using the software, got it sounding pretty damn good. Won't replace my DSL40C, but its a lot of fun for noodling around in the living room. My wife likes the power scaling feature the best!:applause:

DC135er

Reaction score
I have three Carbine that I think sound better than anything I've ever used. One from the late 70's, one from the early 80's, and one of the carpet-heads from the 90's.

Wooferhead1

Reaction score
marshall.jpg Still loving my Legend Rock N Roll 50 after 40 years of marriage. Playing it thru my extra Marshall 425B cabinet. The speakers made a huge difference. Pairs well in stereo with my VM, loves pedals, it's 2 channel nice cleans with huge headroom, separate back panel controls control each channel and loop levels. Solid state amp with a tube pre-amp. Everyone know the the yadda yadda, Billy Gibbons, ZZ Top, blah. Great Amp, I've only had to fix the "lighted" power switch (Marshall replacement I believe) changed pre-amp tube and kept the cabinet oiled.

Last edited:

MemphisMarshallMan

Reaction score
When I first started playing at 14 yrs old I didn't have hardly any money. I scraped together enough money working after school and bought a very well used Sunn Coliseum power amp, built my own crappy cabinet with a 15" speaker and learned to play. It was really really horrible, but I didn't care. It made sound and it was mine.

MikeT

Reaction score
I've been repairing and building tube amps for over 30 tears. I have a house full of them. My furniture is all Fender, Marshall, Vox amps and a couple chairs. But I use a Quilter now. Never thought I would ever let a solid state amp in my front door. I suppose being 68 and not wanting to carry a tube amp around has something to do with it, but damn....it sounds good.

groovenev

Reaction score
I got my 1965 Lectrolab R400C about 20 years ago, great little amp! I put a G10S50 in there for a little more volume and some light bass playing, again sounds great!

I had one of those in the 90's it was great! Sounded excellent... clean amp wish I kept it... light and loud :)

groovenev

Reaction score
I had one of those in the 90's it was great! Sounded excellent... clean amp wish I kept it... light and loud :)

francisca

Reaction score
First amp I had as a kid in the 80s was a Gorilla GG-25. My recollection is that is wasn't half bad from an absolute perspective, and quite good when considering the money I spent for it.

etvbyaulilvkkgqxvurm.jpg

francisca

Reaction score
When I first started playing at 14 yrs old I didn't have hardly any money. I scraped together enough money working after school and bought a very well used Sunn Coliseum power amp, built my own crappy cabinet with a 15" speaker and learned to play. It was really really horrible, but I didn't care. It made sound and it was mine.
Heh, before the Gorilla I just posted about, I used to plug into the 1/4" Mic jack on my Mom and Dad's Stereo. LOL. I guess that was my actual first amp.

Mike J

Reaction score
Back in the late 70's I had a Peavey Classic VT. At the time I thought it was awesome, especially with that built in phaser, but then again I was just learning back then (on a Sekova LP copy). Not sure what I would think about the solid state preamp today. Either way, I would consider getting another one if only for the nostalgia of that being my first amp. Who knows I might be surprised and still like it.

treblebooster

Reaction score
Not new if it has to be new, but I still use it all the time- my Pignose tube head. Beefy 6L6 tone, decent reverb, loud as hell. I’ve left it out in the rain (literally). Never replaced a tube. Occasional scratchy pot is the only maintenance issue. Only thing I’d change is making the boost footswitchable.

groovenev

Reaction score
I have a Seymour Duncan Convertible 100w combo 1x12 Two Channel from the 80's it is Killer, early example of analog modeling you can change the pre-amp config to emulate almost any amp tone... way ahead of it's time but heavy!! I have 17 pre-amp modules...and was still using it for small rooms until covid... (good when you have trouble fitting the Marshall.... LOL
754457-seymour-duncan-convertible-100-with-gator-molded-amp-case-stand

Last edited:

Joe Boots

Reaction score
lets talk amps. no marshalls, no friedman, no boogie, no kits, no orange or vox,
none of the popular amps we normally talk about.
what amps do you have and love that we just normally dont talk about or consider?
i know this could get embarrassing for some of us but hell some of us might find
something new to look at too.

I just ordered, and am awaiting delivery of, the SPARK practice amp. I was in the market for a newer practice amp, and wanted a new distortion pedal, and was interested in getting a DAW to record some stuff. After doing some research the SPARK amp delivered all of this. The reviews I saw were pretty decent, so I pulled the trigger on it. It was only $250 bucks ("only").

Does anyone on here have one? What is it like?

stevoc

Reaction score
First amp I had as a kid in the 80s was a Gorilla GG-25. My recollection is that is wasn't half bad from an absolute perspective, and quite good when considering the money I spent for it.

etvbyaulilvkkgqxvurm.jpg
This was my first amp as well... loved the tube stack!

my next amp was a 90 watt crate stack. I don’t recall the model but loved and played it for years.

after that I went to a rocktron v50d, then one of those Korean made 50w Randall tube combos. Both were decent amps.

Dirty-D

Reaction score
my firat amp was the headstock of my guitar pressed up against the sliding glass door untill l moved up to the microphone jack on the stereo reciever and a boss HM-2 . . . pretty ghetto but determined to rock!

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
my firat amp was the headstock of my guitar pressed up against the sliding glass door untill l moved up to the microphone jack on the stereo reciever and a boss HM-2 . . . pretty ghetto but determined to rock!

love the HM2

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just ordered, and am awaiting delivery of, the SPARK practice amp. I was in the market for a newer practice amp, and wanted a new distortion pedal, and was interested in getting a DAW to record some stuff. After doing some research the SPARK amp delivered all of this. The reviews I saw were pretty decent, so I pulled the trigger on it. It was only $250 bucks ("only").

Does anyone on here have one? What is it like?

Off topic:
When you get the Spark, start a new thread, I'd like to hear what you (and others) think about it.

Rorer714

Reaction score
lets talk amps. no marshalls, no friedman, no boogie, no kits, no orange or vox,
none of the popular amps we normally talk about.
what amps do you have and love that we just normally dont talk about or consider?
i know this could get embarrassing for some of us but hell some of us might find
something new to look at too.
I love my Pignose G40. I upgraded the speaker to a Celestion, replaced the tubes with Groove Tubes and with the right stompbox, it absolutely screams. And it's very portable. My only gripe is it's a 10" speaker but the 60 watt model has a 12" so maybe I'll get one someday. Or not.

Latest posts