... and how do you feel about this?

• Thread starter Teryn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I was shopping for a mini strat and a micro terror, today, for my 4 year old niece to jam on. That's right, she's FOUR. She's not officially reading yet (though she's picking up on tab already), but she is creating her own music on the mini acoustic guitar I bought her, last year. She holds it right, places her fingers well, and remembers what she makes up and shows me every time she visits me, on my "big girl" guitars. One of the things she looks forward to is "making it loud"... she comes over to my place, we plug in some of my electric guitars (I have to shorten the strap all the way and she can barely stand there with the Melody Maker lol its so cute) and we wail on them. For being a tiny human, she's got some serious riffage! One note at a time...

The other day she looked so sad, sitting with my Les Paul and kind of petting it. She looked up at me and said "Ten?" (That's the little kids' nickname for me, cuz Teryn is so hard to say) "What if I got a little loud guitar?" I asked her what kind she would like. "She said like that one." (She pointed to my Strat, which I was playing. I told her if she was really good and helped mommy (my sister in-law) out with the new baby, she may get one.

So yesterday, I went to the only place I knew of that carried mini strats and tiny amps: Guitar Center. Yep. I went in the Walmart of guitar shops... and hated every second of it. I told the salesman what I was looking for and you know what he handed me?
Little%20Pink%20Guitar_zps4bnfpcci.jpg

And then he proceeded to show me these:
Stupid%201_zpsdn7j9fzf.jpg

Stupid%202_zpsgmqytnib.jpg

First of all, she's four. Second of all, even when she's old enough to really start learning, her fingers will be no different than a little boy's. So this "for girls" thing is appalling. If she were interested in Barbies, Disney Princesses, hearts and flowers and all things "girly", that would obviously be different... but two books in the whole fvcking store? I hate to think of the parents who fall into this... as far as my niece is aware, girls play Motorhead, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Joan Jett, Pat Benatar, Heart, Queen and all manner of Rock n' Roll on black Les Pauls and charcoal Strats. I wish to keep it this way. I walked out of the store, after "reverently" cussing the guy out for his stupidity and pointing to a Gibson SG, said "Nancy Wilson, @sswipe." Its the meanest thing I've ever said to a salesman... but I felt justified.

I know some of you must have daughters/granddaughters/nieces... how do you feel about this?
Honestly I think it's presumptive at BEST. That clear ignorance aside the rest is awesome lol.

Maklaca

Reaction score
That is a tough call. Let's face it, as men we are constantly being barraged with the complaint that there are not enough options "for girls" in regards to "typically male" hobbies. If someone comes in and says that they want something like a guitar for their niece, the best response a sales person can have is to ask what she likes and take it from there. That being said, lot of girls are looking for the girly approach, so that is what he showed you. My niece is athletic and wants to be on American Ninja Warrior, but is completely girly. If I bought her a guitar, it better be pink, or at least "pretty".

I doubt that the sales person meant any insult, but just went for a "girls guitar". The best approach really is to just say what she wants and tell him not to assume, so he can be better with the next person. Life is a learning experience, every day. We want others to cut us some slack, but seem to throw others under the bus for a lack of understanding. Had he said that she could not play them because those are "guys guitars", then you could give him some 'tude.

Being a guy, I have many people assume that I am into sports. Nope. I watch some, but really could not care less. I am not insulted by it. I just explain why I'm not and move on.

Söulcaster

🎼🎵🎶☮️🇦🇺
VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought my daughter a pink guitar for her first guitar. i never really thought much of it at the time. Now she is a teenager she is right into rock and metal, so I wouldn't be too worried. Main thing is as a role model you encourage your niece to learn, she will gain an appreciation and then you will never have to listen to Taylor Swift or rap music emanating from her bedroom.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
That is a tough call. Let's face it, as men we are constantly being barraged with the complaint that there are not enough options "for girls" in regards to "typically male" hobbies. If someone comes in and says that they want something like a guitar for their niece, the best response a sales person can have is to ask what she likes and take it from there. That being said, lot of girls are looking for the girly approach, so that is what he showed you. My niece is athletic and wants to be on American Ninja Warrior, but is completely girly. If I bought her a guitar, it better be pink, or at least "pretty".

I doubt that the sales person meant any insult, but just went for a "girls guitar". The best approach really is to just say what she wants and tell him not to assume, so he can be better with the next person. Life is a learning experience, every day. We want others to cut us some slack, but seem to throw others under the bus for a lack of understanding. Had he said that she could not play them because those are "guys guitars", then you could give him some 'tude.

Being a guy, I have many people assume that I am into sports. Nope. I watch some, but really could not care less. I am not insulted by it. I just explain why I'm not and move on.
I hate sports... I like hitting the firing range and I love science and martial arts. Weird to some. Product of freedom :D

Teryn

Reaction score
I dunno... it may also be a combination of attitude towards me and every other person who walked in the door. He was pretty arrogant.

On the issue with a mini guitar, she's only four and not really ready to start learning it for real yet. When she is, a full sized guitar (in what ever color make and model she wants) will be coming her way. If she decides she wants to do something else in stead, then I'll support that too. I have a fund building up for her, what ever she decides to do. Her brother likes typically "girly" things, so maybe I'll buy him a pink drum set, since he also likes to make music - beating on things ;) but that's gonna be even more controversial...

rmlevasseur

Reaction score
As long as you can hit, kick, trample or shoot something, it's a sport; so you are good D :)

Maklaca

Reaction score
I dunno... it may also be a combination of attitude towards me and every other person who walked in the door. He was pretty arrogant.;)

Yea, that seems to be typical GC sales rep. I try to avoid that place when I can, but all the little shops that I used to go to in LA closed when the big boys took over. It's hard to want to work with someone with a chip on their shoulder, that's for sure.

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
I dunno... it may also be a combination of attitude towards me and every other person who walked in the door. He was pretty arrogant.

On the issue with a mini guitar, she's only four and not really ready to start learning it for real yet. When she is, a full sized guitar (in what ever color make and model she wants) will be coming her way. If she decides she wants to do something else in stead, then I'll support that too. I have a fund building up for her, what ever she decides to do. Her brother likes typically "girly" things, so maybe I'll buy him a pink drum set, since he also likes to make music - beating on things ;)

One thing I've learned is kids don't give a monkeys about gender designation - it's either interesting or it isn't - Peppa Pig or Thomas - now that's a whole new ball game!

:lol::lol::lol:

:cool:

Teryn

Reaction score
My sister in-law and I were both brought up in very abusive, male dominated homes... the details are frightening so I wont go there... but lets just say, we want our babies to be as free of gender roles and gender dominance as possible. Its just frustrating as hell, trying to do that in a world that is so keen on gender roles.

I went ahead and asked my niece what color guitar she wanted, again, just to be sure and I showed her the pic of the pink one and her response was to wrinkle her nose and shake her head. No-go. She'll wear the pink tutu in dance class, but her strat cannot be pink.

Biddlin

In Memorandum
Reaction score
My kids learned on what was around, mostly a Takamine EF-340 and Gibson ES-225. Both started pretty early and were playing songs by 7 or 8. Andrew took formal lessons and got a Takamine of his own around 14. (These days he also has one of my old SGs.) Amanda married a songwriter/guitar player and has a Les Paul and a Warlock in the music room. Both will note that I never gave either a formal lesson and offered advice, only when asked. Hire a professional, when it comes time to teach her to drive. Your nerves and your car are worth it.
;>)/

Teryn

Reaction score
Biddlin, I'll be leaving the driving lessons to her parents aha my nerves couldn't handle that! And I agree. Seafoam green is puke-worthy... unless she likes it... hmmm...

TheSunShinesThrough

Reaction score
1.) Olympic white
2.) Seafoam green
3.) Blonde

Black is the safe bet but I've owned 4 black guitars already. Down to 2.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
I don't know.. I think there was a mistake on the part of the salesman by not asking what SHE would want.. Never assume, it makes you look stupid. I also don't get the "girl" guitar books, so all girls listen to Taylor Swift and Shania Twain? At the same time, I think there was a bit of an overreaction to the sales guy..

The main lesson here is, don't go to GC but if you do don't ask them anything because they don't know. Much like buying parts at AutoZone.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
As a retail worker / manager for 25 years, it is his job to ASK and not assume. If the auntie picking it out is a rocker, find out what she thinks munchkin would like best. If he is an arrogant ass, then no point. There's one like that at my local store. Don't assume, ask if she'd (or more, you as she's only 4) like XYZ type of thing and go from there.
I find it hard to believe they make crap like that. Girl's Beginner guitar?? As opppsed to ANY beginner guitar?? My neice started playing at 13 or so, very small hands, with a baby mini strat. Finally got her an Epi Prophecy quilty top LP ish guitar, beautiful. Into Floyd, Zeppelin, Metallica. Not a Pink Hello Kitty guitar....:squint:

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score

On the issue with a mini guitar, she's only four and not really ready to start learning it for real yet. When she is, a full sized guitar (in what ever color make and model she wants) will be coming her way. If she decides she wants to do something else in stead, then I'll support that too. I have a fund building up for her, what ever she decides to do. Her brother likes typically "girly" things, so maybe I'll buy him a pink drum set, since he also likes to make music - beating on things ;) but that's gonna be even more controversial...

Hey I watched jem in the 90s I'm not afraid to be me

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Wait, so if I walk into a Toys 'R Us with my son and the salesmen hands me a Spiderman Action figure I have the right to get pissed because he assumed my little boy liked little boy things? And it's perfectly acceptable for me to get pissed and storm out while pointing to the Dora the Explorer doll and mumbling some nonsense about gender conformity? Oh boy, you've got a lot of growing up to do.

Teryn

Reaction score
She's 4 right? I don't see what the big deal is. A lot of little girls actually like being little girls.... You assuming the salesmen would know she'd be into black guitars and joan jet at 4 years old is a bit silly. You getting pissed because a retail employee suggested items marketed towards little girls is hysterical. Work retail sucks. Stop being a dick to someone that did nothing wrong.

Struck a lil chord with Sir Sonvolt.