Another NAD: Marshall SV20H

• Thread starter WienerDog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WienerDog

Reaction score
Well, I did it again! My fourth Marshall head is now a new-to-me SV20H. The obvious concern I had in getting this was how loud it is (even in 5w mode) and the fact that I do not like attenuators. But the classic Plexi tone is a tempting mistress. And, as it turns out, the amp still sounds GREAT with my passive volume box in the effects loop, which was a very pleasant surprise!!!

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

svinyard

Reaction score
Yes dude. Crank it, jumper it (normal at noon) and then drop guitar volume to 4.

Thick and punchy with some control still (control is key lol). Then just boost that guitar volume to 8 or 10 for face melting leads. So good.

Reaction score
Well, I did it again! My fourth Marshall head is now a new-to-me SV20H. The obvious concern I had in getting this was how loud it is (even in 5w mode) and the fact that I do not like attenuators. But the classic Plexi tone is a tempting mistress. And, as it turns out, the amp still sounds GREAT with my passive volume box in the effects loop, which was a very pleasant surprise!!!

View attachment 139527
View attachment 139528
Congrats, its a great little amp. The 4 inputs is great, I jump from the high treble into the normal channel and out to a DSL 40 combo, that I put yellow jacket adapters to receive EL-84s. The SV will take 6L6, 6V6, KT77 KT88s. A marshall engineer who worked on these was on this forum and stated this. I tried 6L6 which i like for some things, but I love the el34 bite. I heard one dude on youtube who was using 5881s in his and he killed the Eddie tone. Yeah its a 6l6 but it seems to breakup quicker than an actual 6l6 and has serious beef. Congrats man enjoy

Dry Toast

Reaction score
“…I do not like attenuators. But the classic Plexi tone is a tempting mistress. And, as it turns out, the amp still sounds GREAT with my passive volume box in the effects loop…

Generally, I agree, most attenuators do suck, it’s just a question of to what extent. I’ve had a few and it was always out of necessity, never desire. Then I bought a PS-2A. If you haven’t tried a Fryette Power Station, I highly recommend it. Lots of places seem to offer renting gear nowadays. If there’s one nearby you could borrow for a few weeks and not be financially committed, you really owe it to yourself to give it a go.

The soul of that amp rests in the preamp and power amp working in tandem. Shrinking your signal with a potentiometer-in-a-box before it reaches the power amp is a pale reflection of the real glory that awaits you.

Think it’s touch sensitive and 3D now? In the words of Ol’ Blue Eyes, “Baby you ain’t seen nothin’ yet.”

Greg Rogers

Reaction score
I tried using a JHS Black Box in the effects loop but it sounds much better through my Weber Mass. If you’re turning it down with a volume box in the effects look you just don’t get the power tube cooking. Of course neither method pushed the speakers as hard, but to me the Weber Mass sounds much better. Effects loop volume box sounds like a master volume. The Weber doesn’t. I already had the 100w Weber Mass for my ‘65 Bassman, but I ended up getting the Mini Mass for the SV20. And they are very reasonably priced.

Latest posts