Another NAD: Marshall SV20H

• Thread starter WienerDog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

speyfly

Reaction score
How would you compare it to the Origin20h? Some day I'll have an SV20h! Enjoy!

I have both and the SV20 is the real deal, that compressed glassy "plexi" tone. And the Origin 20, if set up correctly (late 60's-70's blues/rock for me) it takes me there, much more versatile than the Studio Vintage imho.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Well, I did it again! My fourth Marshall head is now a new-to-me SV20H. The obvious concern I had in getting this was how loud it is (even in 5w mode) and the fact that I do not like attenuators. But the classic Plexi tone is a tempting mistress. And, as it turns out, the amp still sounds GREAT with my passive volume box in the effects loop, which was a very pleasant surprise!!!

View attachment 139527
View attachment 139528
Thats exactly how I run mine, I have a JHS volume box in the loop, the tone is great at ANY volume. Congrats! :yesway:

goldtop0

Reaction score
The best amp from Marshall in my opinion in a very long time, tamed mine with a bright cap swap for more clarity when overdriven and to cut down the inherent noise with the High Treble channel.
Congrats and welcome to the club 👍

svinyard

Reaction score
Hey so regarding the volume on the SV20...I just went and ran through a set practice on my 4x10 1965a cab. Rather than putting a Pot in the loop, thereby changing the way the amp works a bit....I just flipped it to 5w mode and turned the guitar volume way down. It was totally playable in my little office. When I run the guitar volume at a 4.5...the decibels 5ft away averaged around 88dB with me leaning into it at times. That had a light crunch to it depending on how hard I hit it. My amp was jumpered with both amp volumes at a 3 and it sounded nice. It just reacts massively different than an amp that has a master volume or a longer circuit. When guitar volume was down to a 2-ish it was a nice warm clean (I've got mine jumpered today).

Last edited:

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Congrats, great amp. Seemingly unlimited variety of tones in there with different jumper, volume, guitar settings.
Glad you’re happy with your current arrangement, but I’m sure when you get the chance to open it up without the MV box, or try it with mild attenuation from a quality unit, you’ll find a whole new level of awesomeness 😎

Dry Toast

Reaction score
If you’re not already aware of it, some things that don’t seem like they’d impact your tone do in fact matter. (I bring this up b/c the gear listed in your sig doesn’t generally have the following eccentricities.)

e.g.:
1. Plugged into bright only, so normal volume shouldn’t do much, right? Weirdly, nope. Subtle, but you’ll probably hear it: try plugging into just one channel, then turn the other channel all the way up, then all the way down. Techies could explain better if you’re curious.
2. Jumpering channels, so shouldn’t matter which gets instrument and which gets jumpered, right? Also, not necessarily. Again, techies could illuminate if you care.

Now as always, your mileage may vary, w/ biggest contributors to that variance being how loud you’re playing overall, as well as guitar or even speaker choice. For example, #1 above sticks out way more w/ my R9 than it does w/ my Strat (this is a carryover phenomenon from four-hole tweed Fenders, on which the aforementioned behavior is a tad more pronounced still).

Latest posts