Another which DSL should i buy thread

• Thread starter DirtyChannel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bhatta

Reaction score
I live in Cambodia (for the last 5 years). I return to the States in September. That's why I'm doing the research.

The import tax in Cambodia is 125%. I've never even seen a tube Marshall amp here and there are many bands and bars playing 7 days a week in the Capital, Phnom Penh.
Wow! Land of Ankor Wat and ethereal beauty !

I have heard the same thing in Vietnam too. Regular bands at bars and hotels . Many one man performers too, with a looper ! But no tube amps, all solid State affair.

Good luck with your search 👍

DirtyChannel

Reaction score
Wow! Land of Ankor Wat and ethereal beauty !

I have heard the same thing in Vietnam too. Regular bands at bars and hotels . Many one man performers too, with a looper ! But no tube amps, all solid State affair.

Good luck with your search 👍
Tube amps are here- just very rare. I'm moving back to the US in September and doing my research to figure out what to buy when I move back home. Thank you

Last edited:

Jefkem

Reaction score
Jumping in here, I currently have a DSL1-HR running through a Marshall 1912 (1x12) cab with a G12-EVH speaker.

It's 90% perfect for me and my bedroom use. Even at the .1w setting it's crazy loud. The issue is the "Classic"/green channel, I really like the low gain clean tone, but also really like the crunch when it's turned up. But because it doesn't have its own volume, with out some sort of attenuation it's just too loud (let alone not in balance if the ultra/red channel if you're switching while playing).

With a JHS Little Black Amp Box in the fx loop acting as a master volume, it's very hard to get the channels balanced and for some reason, to get the green channel super clean. 🤔

I've also tried one of the Carl's Speaker Soaks... it's a bit better but still can't have the best of both worlds....

(incidentally, I just got my 1991 JCM 900 Dual Reverb 4101 1x12 combo back from a tech- after 25 years of being out of commission, I love the clean channel, now i prefer the Red channel on the DSL! Funny the channel volumes on the 100 watter have a bigger sweep/range than the 1 watt!)

I'm seriously considering getting a DSL 20HR to have the green channel volume (and the extra EQ options)-- Grass is always greener! 🙄

EL34Norge

Reaction score
I have a DSL40 CR and it's killer.. Does low volume very well.
My main gigging amp is a JCM 2000 DSL 50 and the 40CR covers similar ground for me.
It's great for small rooms. The DSL40 CR is a very underrated combo..

DirtyChannel

Reaction score
Jumping in here, I currently have a DSL1-HR running through a Marshall 1912 (1x12) cab with a G12-EVH speaker.

It's 90% perfect for me and my bedroom use. Even at the .1w setting it's crazy loud. The issue is the "Classic"/green channel, I really like the low gain clean tone, but also really like the crunch when it's turned up. But because it doesn't have its own volume, with out some sort of attenuation it's just too loud (let alone not in balance if the ultra/red channel if you're switching while playing).

With a JHS Little Black Amp Box in the fx loop acting as a master volume, it's very hard to get the channels balanced and for some reason, to get the green channel super clean. 🤔

I've also tried one of the Carl's Speaker Soaks... it's a bit better but still can't have the best of both worlds....

(incidentally, I just got my 1991 JCM 900 Dual Reverb 4101 1x12 combo back from a tech- after 25 years of being out of commission, I love the clean channel, now i prefer the Red channel on the DSL! Funny the channel volumes on the 100 watter have a bigger sweep/range than the 1 watt!)

I'm seriously considering getting a DSL 20HR to have the green channel volume (and the extra EQ options)-- Grass is always greener! 🙄
These last 2 posts have been very helpful too, thanks

bhatta

Reaction score

It's 90% perfect for me and my bedroom use. Even at the .1w setting it's crazy loud. The issue is the "Classic"/green channel, I really like the low gain clean tone, but also really like the crunch when it's turned up.

I own a 20 CR and love it.
My clean channel always runs at 2 o clock gain.

When I checked out the 40CR (had my 20CR already) I was more in to the Clean Crunch channel that's there on the 40.

Edit : Also, don't know if it's true always, but from what I heard, higher wattage amps does low volumes well.

If that's where your tone lies, i beleive the 40CR would be a better choice for you, imho

You gotta check it out.

Cheers

TheKman76

Reaction score
On a positive note, it's been a while since I've seen any reports of new 40CRs exhibiting these anomalies! It seems that the glitch may have been properly addressed?
Mine is a late '22 build and it has a few minor switching foibles. Nothing that would stop me buying it again though.
... mate.
British? Australian?

Lately I'm concerned that heat is going to be a bigger problem in the 40CR than I thought. Last week I had a 1W resistor fail in the preamp, apparently for no reason. I'm now strongly considering converting to a head.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I actually ended up with the 40CR due to a FX Loop wiring issue with the 20HR I bought (and all the other DSL20's in the shop).
The loop was placed before the Channel Volumes instead of after.
They have sorted the issue now, but be aware if buying a used DSL20.

And the 40CR is far better at low volumes than the DSL20 was.

Has anyone discussed using MIDI with the 40 or 100?
I use a BOSS GT-100 with mine in MIDI 4CM.
Very versatile. I no longer use the 6-Button footswitch (or the weak-ass DSL reverb).

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Did we get it all working then? I'm still struggling with the MV switching.
That was a sticking point with me too.
In the end it was far simpler to use the SOLO volume toggle option on the Boss GT.
I also did Clean/Crunch channel volume levelling in the patch instead of using the DSL MVs.

But if you do have a 6-Button f/s you can still use it alongside MIDI with the new DSLs for MV switching.
The supplied 2-Button f/s won't work if MIDI is connected.

Latest posts