• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Anybody have a noise issue with a One Spot?

• Thread starter Webslinger
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
I had a few people recommend the One Spot power supply.
http://truetone.com/1-spot/
This would be for my Boss 3-pedal board, which I had burned-out a couple of generic AC-to-9volt wall warts. Bought the One Spot kit (with 8-device daisy chain and extra adapters). It has a 1700Ma rating, so three common pedals are no problem. Never tried more than 3. For awhile is was great! and dead-quiet. But after several rehearsals (about 25 hours of use total) my pedals became very noisy, esp with the distortion pedal, and also had an oscillating sound to it. Tried different outlets (US 120v AC), different buildings/homes, different daisy chain cord, and 3 completely different pedals, and with different amps..same thing. It's definitely the One Spot. something inside must have gone bad? Odd thing is it is NOT noisy with only two pedals, but connect a third, the noise is bad, so bad I cant use it live. And the 1yr warranty has passed.
Has anyone had this issue with the One Spot US-version?

(I know some will recommend another brand/device, but lets keep this about the True ToneOne Spot for right now)
Not at all. Nor do I have a problem with the Powerall which is a bit superior in comparison tests, and I don't use enoufgh pedals anymore to bother with my VooDoo Labs ISO5, which did a great job too. My problems get cured by removing certain pedals. For me, they are always the culprit.

Karl Brake

Reaction score
This Is a weird discussion. I have had perfect, quiet performance from my TrueTone One spot. My voodoo and DC bricks let me down...thr Voodoo brick just started going dead bit by bit at a gig. Daisy chaining with a One spot defeats the whole purpose of isolated power streams. That makes no sense at all. It is not a "cheap" product. Quiet and reliable gig after gig, mounts nicely under a pedal train board. Make sure the dip switches are set to give you the right voltage for each pedal. I just can't relate to the a Trutone hate here! If you're touring in the big time with all the highest level bells and whistles, I'm sure there's something more fabulous, but Truetone has never let down this particular in the trenches working musician. Noise in the chain is often caused by crapping cabling. Get your mogamis in order and rock on.

Karl Brake

Reaction score
1Spots are convenient and cheap, but very, very inefficient. As said above, daisy chains suck if you want clean power. You need a proper isolated power supply. Spend a good $150 or so for one.
The 12 outlet one spot costs $200 or more. The 7 outlet, 130. In that league.

Karl Brake

Reaction score
1-Spots are a low cost option for a reason. They come with some amount of risk. If you want less risk then spend more on an isolated output supply.
The Truetone IS isolated.

Karl Brake

Reaction score
ToneOne is a cheap product. You need to get rid of it. Get a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 3 power supply. You won't have any problems. They have brackets kits available so you can attach them under your pedal board out of sight out of mind. I have one on each of my boards.
Voodoo bricks died on me outlet by outlet. Crap on a stick.

Karl Brake

Reaction score
Not at all. Nor do I have a problem with the Powerall which is a bit superior in comparison tests, and I don't use enoufgh pedals anymore to bother with my VooDoo Labs ISO5, which did a great job too. My problems get cured by removing certain pedals. For me, they are always the culprit.
Use the OneSpot Pro...true isolated sources. About $130 for a 7 outlet power brick with cables and mounting bracket. Quiet, reliable...the bee's knees in powering up a board. The CS 12 Pro runs you more like 200....but waaaay better than Voodoo Lab.

jmp45

Reaction score
I had noise trouble with a one spot from the original company, before truetone. Called and they replaced it. I have others used randomly, no issues.

Spooky88

Reaction score
No issues with a one spot here at all. I own 2 of them but then I don’t use boss pedals because they tend to be noisy.

december

Reaction score
I have 16 pedals daisy-chained from a single 1 Spot and there's no extra noise. Plus 3 pedals with dedicated supplies. The distortion pedals are noisy, as usual, but not any less noisy if they're the only pedal plugged in. My overdrive has a built-in gate so that keeps the distortions quiet.
Some of the pedals and an amp connect to the computer via USB and that adds a lot of noise. I have to disconnect the USBs before recording.
My 1 Spot is plugged into a Furman surge protector with amps, EQs, and that surge protector is plugged into a Furman power conditioner, along with the computer and recording gear.

Reaction score
I have the same model, and later bout the 5 plug daisy chain sine I won't have 8 pedals. Mine is nice and quiet.

Reaction score
It's not specifically a Onespot problem, it's just that many pedals, like loopers, delays, modulation, digital pedals etc, don't like to be chained together. You might always get noise, or only sometimes, depending on the room and equipment (of even never!).

I used to tour with pedalboards, initially with an 1spot type power, than with isolated ones (Voodoo labs power 2 + and fuel tank) . Same clubs, same everything else, the voodoo labs was worth every penny, as it made a big difference in problematic places! As were cables like vovox (that weren't plastic on the exterior)..

One problem I also have with switching type power supplies, is that if they die they can expose your pedals to direct high voltage, which won't happen with isolated, transformer based supplies..

mark123

Reaction score
Here is what my Strymon Lex sounds like unisolated with the One Spot.

Rikamortis

Reaction score
I've been using one spots for years and never had any problems but I always plug into a high quality surge protector)power conditioner, I'm using a monster 2500. I never plug directly into the wall and I have never had 1 problem.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been using one spots for years and never had any problems but I always plug into a high quality surge protector)power conditioner, I'm using a monster 2500. I never plug directly into the wall and I have never had 1 problem.
A member here sent me a one spot, that can power up 8 pedals, I pulled the batteries on 4 pedals ,, boss looper, SD1, mxr micro chorus, boss DD3. Been using it for almost a year now,, no problems at all.

Mitch