• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Anybody Into Fishing?

• Thread starter flyinguitars
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flyinguitars

Reaction score
I live on a tidal tributary of the Delaware river and am about 45 minutes from the NJ coast/bays. Striped Bass are running in our creek and the Delaware river right now and bluefish are running in the ocean.

Tonight we are taking our boat out in our creek and maybe down past Philadelphia for stripers....... then taking my two sons out for blues in the atlantic on Friday on a party boat.

I'm not a full time hard core fisherman, but I like to go when the fish are running.
Probably take our boat to the Alantic city are next week to fish for flounder.

I know some of you have to be into fishing.

Oldpunk

Reaction score
I love to fish, live on a private lake, biggest bass is 11 pounds and a 32 pound channel cat. But the real deal is offshore, nothing like a tuna stripping a hundred yards off your spool in the blink of an eye.

Stripers are fun too especially on top water and make for some tasty fish tacos! Good luck and leave that banana at home.:)

flyinguitars

Reaction score
I love to fish, live on a private lake, biggest bass is 11 pounds and a 32 pound channel cat. But the real deal is offshore, nothing like a tuna stripping a hundred yards off your spool in the blink of an eye.

Stripers are fun too especially on top water and make for some tasty fish tacos! Good luck and leave that banana at home.:)
Nice! My youngest is 11 and Friday will be his first bluefishing trip in the ocean. They are catching 10 pounders and up right now and they feel like you've hooked a whale...lol..so he will have his hands full when he hooks one.

They are getting 30 lbs stripers just a few miles down river from my house.....I'm leaving work now and going to eat and we are taking the boat out for the first time this season tonight....hopefully get a striper too.

Oldpunk

Reaction score
Awesome! Bluefish are the equivalent to yellowtail here I believe, from the Jack cavell family. Some of the pound for pound strongest fish there is.

A 30 pound stripper sounds like a blast, good luck!

...oops I meant striper, lol.

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I know nothing about fishing but enjoy it when I have leisure time, which seems to be real scarce the last few years. I hook worms or salmon eggs on a hook and pull 'em in! I'd like to learn more except I've been tied up for a year or two LOL. I promised myself I'd make time to go to the pond this year which is a block from my house and try and hook some more bass. Its a pond about the size of a football field someone must have stocked with fish some years ago, I've caught two foot bass in this mud hole but it takes hours to hook something cuz I don't really know what I'm doing! I've seen other people that do know what they're dong pull bass in one after another.

flyinguitars

Reaction score
No striper tonight. We had a line out with a striper rig and blood worm.....but my son was catching little perch every 30 seconds...lol. This is on the Delaware river about 5 miles north of Philadelphia. We tried the river because the stripers migrate up the river to spawn and then return to the ocean....they are like our salmon. It's about a 15 minute ride by boat from our dock to this spot on the river and there were reports of stripers caught in the area last night.
20160524_200405.jpg

20160524_200528.jpg

20160524_200528.jpg

Sunset
20160524_200812.jpg

We could get to the Delaware bay and atlantic ocean if we continued south/east on the water for a few hours, but it's quicker and cheaper to trailer the boat for that trip....hopefully I will post some big bluefish pics on fri!

flyinguitars

Reaction score
Awesome! Bluefish are the equivalent to yellowtail here I believe, from the Jack cavell family. Some of the pound for pound strongest fish there is.

A 30 pound stripper sounds like a blast, good luck!

...oops I meant striper, lol.

The blues are crazy fun to catch. They are strong and put up a wicked fight. They feel like a fish twice the size of another species...they are badazzes and have sharp teeeth! They are not very good to eat...lol....the stripers, flounder, and black sea bass are the fish to eat around here

4Horseman

Reaction score
What are you fishing for? Bait fish? Ha, just kidding man looks cool being able to have that access! That's trip down memory lane for me. Fishing for blues "down the shore". Stripers in the Delaware, Flounder in Avalon, smallies in the Perkiomen, Tiger muskie at a secret spot, Trout in the Unami, Marsh Creek Lake, Nockamixon, Green Lane, Hickory Run State Park, etc. I fished quite a bit, lol. These days, just a few times here and there. I've been fighting the urge to buy a boat every spring for as long as I can remember. Oh, I like fly fishing too.:D

Notes69

Reaction score
Love fishing, but not as much as the guitarist in my band....our jamming really slows down when the stripers are running strong. The good part is, I don't need to get a boat now, he has that covered. If I can't jam, I may as well join the fun.

We have the same fish here....stripers , blues, black fish, flats etc. caught my first blue shark last year. That was fun.....just not as fun as bow hunting whitetails!!!:D

flyinguitars

Reaction score
What are you fishing for? Bait fish? Ha, just kidding man looks cool being able to have that access! That's trip down memory lane for me. Fishing for blues "down the shore". Stripers in the Delaware, Flounder in Avalon, smallies in the Perkiomen, Tiger muskie at a secret spot, Trout in the Unami, Marsh Creek Lake, Nockamixon, Green Lane, Hickory Run State Park, etc. I fished quite a bit, lol. These days, just a few times here and there. I've been fighting the urge to buy a boat every spring for as long as I can remember. Oh, I like fly fishing too.:D

Haha...yup down the shore! I'm on the rancocas about 2 miles east of the Delaware and 14 miles north of center city phila. We had a striper rig in the water and my son put in a small rig too. The perch were all over the small rig!..lol

Love fishing, but not as much as the guitarist in my band....our jamming really slows down when the stripers are running strong. The good part is, I don't need to get a boat now, he has that covered. If I can't jam, I may as well join the fun.

We have the same fish here....stripers , blues, black fish, flats etc. caught my first blue shark last year. That was fun.....just not as fun as bow hunting whitetails!!!:D

Awesome! Where are you located?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I like to fish, but was never very good at it. These days I stick to cane poles and crickets on lake Kissimmee when I get the chance. It's easy to catch small pan fish like blue gill, specks and shell crackers all day, no skill involved, guaranteed fish fry every time.

That's how I got started, five years ago I was throwing a hook with a worm in the bay after work and took about a minute or two to pull in a two foot catfish one after another to the point of boredom, then I switched to bass fishing which has been much harder for me cuz I haven't figured out the technique although I've read about it but haven't had much success, but it is more challenging. Another fun way to fish is salmon eggs on a hook, its real easy for a fish to suck the egg off the hook so you have to be in tune with the feel, as soon as you feel a hit on your hook you gotta jerk it to hook the fish otherwise they steal the bait, catch a lot of sunnys in my pond that way. Oh, I've never kept anything I've caught I always throw it back.

Notes69

Reaction score
Im on the shoreline in CT, so we have the long island sound to contend with. But, an hour trip puts us out in the big waters.

Of coarse, along our shores we have our lobster pots. Oh yeaaaaa!!!!

Notes69

Reaction score
Also enjoy ice fishing here. If you haven't tried, it's a must. Lots of hanging around, but it's a great social event. Doesn't hurt to have a cocktail to keep you warm either....and lots of food!

unfortunately for me, my niece is a better fisherman that I.

gabby bass.jpg

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
Used to do quite a bit of fishing in Erie PA before moving to VA. I worked night shift and every morning I would go out. Either shore fishing or small boat out on Presque Isle bay, misery bay, and out on the lake with buddies larger boats. Caught largemouth, smallmouth bass, bluegill with the kids, Lake Erie perch which is some of the BEST fish fry stuff, and Walleye. Never got into the steelhead thing, too much shoulder to shoulder and jack-assery, and enjoyed regular trout also.
Sad part is I haven't had a hook in water since 2010, haven't seen any place close to me worth hitting up, although I could do a road trip to Virginia beach or MD.

Bear R.

Reaction score
Cool pics Blues..looked like a lot of fun man..and ya Mike I love to Fish..Cant wait to get back out there this year..

Last edited:

GIBSON67

Reaction score
I used to love to striper fish at Pickwick dam, especially at night when the moon is full and we're all liquored up!
I just bass fish around the golf course, now and nothing over 5 lbs, usually.

Latest posts