Anyone else prefer single channel amps to multi channel ones?

• Thread starter GuitarIV
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarIV

Reaction score
So yesterday after ages I put my pedalboard back together and I have this little pedal on it that I never used before:

mad-prof-orange-underdrive.jpg

Basically the Underdrive works like an "anti Overdrive" in that it reduces the mids, so it takes out distortion and gives you the option of adjusting overall volume, treble and bass so you can fine tune your "clean sound".

It's like rolling down your volume control but you don't lose all your highs and it works in an instant by pressing a button.

Anyway, what I actually want to say is I never seem to use the clean channel of an amp. I have my JCM 800 which is a single channel amp anyway, my DSL 100 and my Laney IRT Studio.

I usually set the amp to light crunchy overdrive, then add in an OD pedal to get into heavier territory and roll down my volume for cleans with some slight hair on them. I prefer the dynamics I get that way plus I don't have to fiddle with the amp, and now the Underdrive let's me skip to "clean" in an instant.

I guess if I was playing modern metal it would be a different story but for all the blues/hard rock based stuff I do it's all I need.

Anyone else here that utilizes the same approach? I find it gives your volume and tone controls on the guitar an actual purpose instead of playing always on 11 :p

DesolationBlvd

Reaction score
With my SV20H or Cambridge Reverb, I set them to full overdrive and take advantage of the two-volume configurations on my Gibson and Gretsch guitars to be able to toggle right to clean without any pedals. I don't find it too muddy on the Gibson, but with the Gretsch I usually use a treble boost, and then turn the mud switch on. With guitars with only one volume knob, I set the amp to light overdrive and boost with a Tube Screamer. That underdrive sounds like an interesting concept.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I've always played that way, getting all my drive and volume set on the amp and then using the guitar's volume to clean up and change dynamics.

I've always been surprised how many people just set the guitar's volume to 10 and use pedals and or channel switching for any dynamics or tone changes... Pretty weird and unnecessary imo...

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I prefer a single channel amp over a multi channel. I can either run clean or a dirty clean and hit it hard with an OD or just use pure dirt from my favorite pedals. It must have a loop though for my modulations.

GuitarIV

Reaction score
With my former project I used my Detox EQ clone quite a bit to get clean(ish) tones from my SV20H. Same concept, it's an under-drive, works pretty well, especially if you also go from a humbucker to a single coil.

The Detox EQ was the one that I wanted to get originally (years ago) then they discontinued it, hence why I got the Underdrive. Both work great! :)

With my SV20H or Cambridge Reverb, I set them to full overdrive and take advantage of the two-volume configurations on my Gibson and Gretsch guitars to be able to toggle right to clean without any pedals. I don't find it too muddy on the Gibson, but with the Gretsch I usually use a treble boost, and then turn the mud switch on. With guitars with only one volume knob, I set the amp to light overdrive and boost with a Tube Screamer. That underdrive sounds like an interesting concept.

I love Les Pauls for the dual pickup control layout. Set the neck lower and flick the switch to go from distorted to clean. Glad to see I'm not the only one using the guitar that way!

Here's a pic from the last rehearsal:

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-28 at 19.11.11.jpeg

DSL set to the red channel 1 with mild overdrive, my Edwards LPC with a Suhr Aldrich bridge pickup and the rest is done via my pedalboard. Works flawlessly! :)

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
So yesterday after ages I put my pedalboard back together and I have this little pedal on it that I never used before:

View attachment 102924

Basically the Underdrive works like an "anti Overdrive" in that it reduces the mids, so it takes out distortion and gives you the option of adjusting overall volume, treble and bass so you can fine tune your "clean sound".

It's like rolling down your volume control but you don't lose all your highs and it works in an instant by pressing a button.

Anyway, what I actually want to say is I never seem to use the clean channel of an amp. I have my JCM 800 which is a single channel amp anyway, my DSL 100 and my Laney IRT Studio.

I usually set the amp to light crunchy overdrive, then add in an OD pedal to get into heavier territory and roll down my volume for cleans with some slight hair on them. I prefer the dynamics I get that way plus I don't have to fiddle with the amp, and now the Underdrive let's me skip to "clean" in an instant.

I guess if I was playing modern metal it would be a different story but for all the blues/hard rock based stuff I do it's all I need.

Anyone else here that utilizes the same approach? I find it gives your volume and tone controls on the guitar an actual purpose instead of playing always on 11 :p
Yup I do the same thing and have an Evolution Orange Underdrive pedal for cleans, I never liked dialing my guitar volume down I'm not very good at it and this pedal like you said lets you do it seamlessly on the fly. My amp is set to edge of breakup-light crunch, the pedal set to bass/midrange 3 oclock, volume/treble noon. Then I have several OD pedals set to various amounts of gain to choose from. I like single channel amps, never found a 2 channel amp I liked.

middy

Reaction score
I've always played that way, getting all my drive and volume set on the amp and then using the guitar's volume to clean up and change dynamics.

I've always been surprised how many people just set the guitar's volume to 10 and use pedals and or channel switching for any dynamics or tone changes... Pretty weird and unnecessary imo...
Me three

Salty Rose

Reaction score
I’ve always liked single channel amps. I’ve used switchers. But my go-to is single channel. The simpler the better.

For shows in the ‘80’s with a 2204 half stack I’d use the low gain (clean) input with a DS-1, for distortion. Maybe a chorus and a wah too. If I was using the high gain input I wouldn’t use pedals.

In the 90’s it was always a Tube Screamer with a Blackface Fender.

Nowadays with my 1987x or 1959SLP, I use a PB100 attenuator, guitar volume and tone. No pedals not even a tuner, I use a snark.

I gigged a bunch in the 2000’s with 3203 (sort of a switcher). I like those half stacks. They’re lighter that the big iron, and I could get by sans pedals, with the boost.

Last edited:

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I generally dial in just a tad too much gain ( the tubescreamer is always on ) and use the guitars volume knob to back down to where I need it . 1 or 2 channels , normally one is for dirt one is for clean . I only ever use the dirty one , lol .

Last edited:

Crikey

Reaction score
I like both. I do like two channel amps for ability for clean crunch. Example 4100dr and 2205

Calebz

Reaction score
I like both. I can generally pull of a live show with a single channel - I almost never use clean sounds live.

That said, if I had to strip down to 1 amp for the rest of my life, it would be some sort of channel switcher for sure.

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
I’ve only owned single channel amplifiers

I try to play with headroom appropriate for wherever I’m at because I also like non master volume single channel amps

Set the amp volume high so that it’s a bit over the top for a lead sound with my strat or tele at 10. Back down to 8 on the guitar volume for a bit of crunch and overdrive. Back down to 6 or 7 on my strat or whatever sounds clean enough on my tele

Add in my tone knobs and at least with gain I try to let the amp do all the work. There have been times I thought about getting a colorsound overdriver or powerdriver style pedal for a little more oomph with my SV20 but I typically get more than enough gain jumpering channels

Derrick111

Reaction score
Absolutely into old school single channel amps like JMPs and JCMs over a switchable channel. The exception is the silver anniversary/Slash amps.

dro

Reaction score
Yes. I like single channel amps.
If I want an effect, it goes right in the front.
Live all my OD's , Echo's, Delays, Chorus, And Boost come from my Analogue Pedalboard.
Recording, I'll set the drive on the amp.
Or, in the case of my JTM45. Just Dime it.
And NO, I don't use an attenuator.
I don't want my volume at cell phone level.
Grew up in a more musical time.
Product of the 60's.

mallcorn

Reaction score

View attachment 102924

All four of my amps are "4 holer" amps (1959HW, SV20, Suhr SL-68, and Fender Deluxe Reverb '64HW). One input, jumper channels, and play. There is no other way....

jmp45

Reaction score
Single here, prefer 4 holers no loops are ok too.

studio_2020A.jpg

lespaul339

Reaction score
I prefer the 4 holers as well. The most "modern" Marshall I've ever owned was a 2203. I like the simple old circuits. They work and they sound the best IMO. I also prefer my amps to have a minimal number of knobs as well. I don't like a lot of clutter on amps.