Anyone here play 7 strings?

• Thread starter Helixx Guitars
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm pondering venturing out to a 7 string and would like to gets some input.
I only play metal if that helps.

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
1) What brands do you prefer?
2) How low are you tuning?
3) What sounds are you going for?
4) Budget?
5) Can you buy used?

Reaction score
4) Budget?
5) Can you buy used?

Thanks for your reply.
I really like this sound. Although most here might not.
But this picks up where my preferred genre left off in the late 80's in lieu of TG putting me out of business.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpY3n_cZpvw]Splawn Nitro - Metal - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
7 Strings are a blast if they are setup up nicely. I played a schecter blackjack c7 as my main guitar for years. Almost a must to get a 7 string if you are after that crushing monster rhythm sound in the vid.

The potential downsides:
-usually longer scale length = a little harder to play
-wider neck = long fingers are almost a must to shred leads
-if it is a baritone like my C7 it is almost like playing a bass guitar

Reaction score
4) Budget?
5) Can you buy used?

I really favor Jackson's neck through's and have several on my ebay watch list even though I can build a guitar these will suffice for now.
In my past life I played BC Rich neck through's.

1) My cap price on guitars is 3K because I will require several for personal use.
2) Just because I have always wanted them.
3) R&D purposes having been absent from the music scene for a large number of years.

I am though saddened to find the musical instrument companies I have grown up with have become a shadow of the quality of what the were in the late 80's. It is also unsettling to find that most are manufactured off shore. I am guilty of "off shore purchases" myself, but my admonition in life was that I'm an American and I want to purchase products made by the hands of another Americans.
Now I have to add in "when possible"
Although.............my amplifier engineering crew former ICBM/Cruise Missile Techs (yea were all older than dirt) are telling me that Russian and Chinese tubes rock! Along with transformers.
I am keeping an open mind that's for sure.

OK I just had to re-edited this post. I played Marshalls for years and we have been buds with the Brits for years. I have never really saw them as off shore though but you guys know where I'm coming from.
Marshall for me has always been like an intergalactic company or the mothership of music.

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I don't own one but, I've played them before and thought they were pretty nice guitars. If I was going to buy a seven string this is the brand I would get since you can customize it like, fretboard radius, size of frets etc.

Carvin.com: USA Custom Shop Seven String, Eight String ERG & Twelve String Guitars

I was just eye oogling them last night and thanks.
I was going to call them and see if they could sand necks to the same compound radius as Jackson's neck.
Carvin has always made outstanding equipment and always affordable.
I use Carvin PA equipment exclusively with the exception of several JBL Woofers.

Reaction score
Okay, from what you're telling since you like Jacksons and have a budget of 3000, this may be worth looking into...

Brand New Jackson USA B7 7 String Guitar Satin Black Free Shipping | eBay

There's a neck-through version called the "B7 Deluxe" that'll probably be more to your liking.

Jackson USA B7DX Electric Guitar w Ebony Fretboard Satin Black | eBay

OUCH!!! Scarf joint alert http://i.ebayimg.com/t/BRAND-NEW-Jackson-USA-B7-7-String-Guitar-SATIN-BLACK-FREE-SHIPPING-/00/s/Nzk1WDEyMDA=/z/lXsAAOxyLchRwO9D/$(KGrHqF,!pEFG-qOsFFZBRwO9DWpmw~~60_57.JPG
Looking at this at an engineering standpoint the two dissimilar woods expand and contract at different rates. Also be advised that the adhesives used have a high durometer and could possibly fracture.
Notice I used the word possibly.
Temperatures approaching zero will cause catalyst based adhesives to crystallize causing loss of joint integrity. SOMETIMES! LOL
Most guitars don't get a ride via tour bus but on a semi which are not environmentally controlled along with the rest off the gear.
If you have a guitar that is scarf jointed at the present I will offer my apologies right now and have no intentions of belittling your instrument.
I'm just saying that the scarf joint is not conducive to longevity.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
To my knowledge, they come in black satin, grey satin, walunt stain, and natural.

It's also a baritone, so low-tuned tones will sound even clearer and tighter.

Reaction score
To my knowledge, they come in black satin, grey satin, walunt stain, and natural.

Thanks HHTJH. I guess I'll have to paint it. lol
I'm really liking the bare wood neck for speed and painted body.
I suppose I could bring it up to speed with one of my "Alien Reptile Skin" paint jobs.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqHcnU2rbYQ]Jackson B7 Deluxe and B7 Demo - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Since you seem to work on guitars yourself, it shouldn't be difficult.

Also, don't forget you have a choice between active (EMGs) and passive (DiMarzios) pickups.

Reaction score
Since you seem to work on guitars yourself, it shouldn't be difficult.

Also, don't forget you have a choice between active (EMGs) and passive (DiMarzios) pickups.

I forgot all about pickups. The last time I changed out pickups was to replace stock pickups in my BC Rich Warlocks with Seymour Duncan Invaders like Vivian Campbell of Dio was using.
The engineering flaw on them was the back panel was screwed on with wood screws that gave access to the battery pack. After the holes for the screws lost integrity I machined brass threaded inserts, tapped the holes in the wood and screwed them in also using marine epoxy. I then switched to machine screws.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Also, if you can get lucky and want a 25.5'' scale, you MAY be able to find some used Suhr 7 strings in yoru budget.

Reaction score
The Jackson USA B7DX will give me a great test bed.
I'm entertaining fabricating a non traditional body style build.
Something Blackie Lawless, Gene Simmons in his younger years i.e. Axe Bass,
George Lynch i.e. Mr Scarey would have picked up and said.
"I'll take it!!!" "Can I get three?" :shred:

Basically something that looks like it been left out in the middle of a crop circle by mistake.

Reaction score
This suits me better and as a better example of non traditional body styles.
I will have one in my rack one day.
The paint job is pretty easy and I could do it in my sleep. I just want one that says Jackson on it as they are a legacy at least in my world they are.