anyone interested in another songwriting contest?

• Thread starter scat7s
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
oh geeze...here we go.

this is my thought process:

if there are no prizes, there is less motivation to cheat or be dishonest. however, IF someone wanted to volunteer to offer a prize or something thats fine, but i think that should also be kept under wraps until its all said and done. you offer free stuff and its like blood in the water.

its supposed to be the honor system. if you cant handle that, dont participate.

im telling you all right now, im not dealing with an inbox full of shit. and im not interested in endless finite details and rules.

the rule is simple, and it is based on the honor system. if the judges remain anonymous, that is less drama they have to deal with for 30 days while this thing is in progress.

aus, im thinking that the judges could tally their votes BEFORE the popular vote and send those results to a neutral party to be revealed AFTER the popular vote has taken place, then no one can complain about undue influence of one or the other.

i also agree that songs should NOT be submitted until like a 72 or 48 hour window b4 the end of the contest.

the more of a nightmare you make this for the judges, the less likely they will want to participate. and like ive said, i certainly dont want to deal with a bunch of nonsense either.

does that make sense to everyone?

hbach

Reaction score
We can't even agree on rules?
Geez...
Write a song, if you like the song, enter it. If it gets the most votes it wins. If it doesn't...it doesn't. It's not a conspiracy or misinterpration of the rules.
Not everyone likes my songs. Not everyone hates them. More people liked Smokey's song in the last competition than mine and he won, simple as that. I still personally like mine better...but I wrote the damn thing...I should. It doesn't mean I hate Smokey or think he cheated. I liked his song too. He just wrote and performed a more likeable song in most people's opinion.

If you enter a contest, you do have to have some confidence in your song obviously. But you also have to be prepared to lose with no hard feelings. IMO

If there is going to be another contest, it really needs to be kept in the fun spirit it is intended for.

If it were that simple. Whatever the rules are they are going to be interpreted and the minute you have a competition there will be controversy. I think controversy is manageable as long as the judges can give clear rulings.

hbach

Reaction score
oh geeze...here we go.

this is my thought process:

if there are no prizes, there is less motivation to cheat or be dishonest. however, IF someone wanted to volunteer to offer a prize or something thats fine, but i think that should also be kept under wraps until its all said and done. you offer free stuff and its like blood in the water.

its supposed to be the honor system. if you cant handle that, dont participate.

im telling you all right now, im not dealing with an inbox full of shit. and im not interested in endless finite details and rules.

the rule is simple, and it is based on the honor system. if the judges remain anonymous, that is less drama they have to deal with for 30 days while this thing is in progress.

aus, im thinking that the judges could tally their votes BEFORE the popular vote and send those results to a neutral party to be revealed AFTER the popular vote has taken place, then no one can complain about undue influence of one or the other.

i also agree that songs should NOT be submitted until like a 72 or 48 hour window b4 the end of the contest.

the more of a nightmare you make this for the judges, the less likely they will want to participate. and like ive said, i certainly dont want to deal with a bunch of nonsense either.

does that make sense to everyone?

I think you are headed to exactly this
an inbox full of shit
:2c:

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
i like that idea too!

though i would imagine some will be obvious...still not a bad thought.

rocknblues

Reaction score
You know that most youth competitions these days don't even keep score. Everybody goes home a winner.

Just saying. :naughty:

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
i guess we'd need a deadline for participants to commit as well.

so far, it doesnt look like we have enough

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
Have 1 person receive the songs. The competitors send a PM to this person. Not even the judges should know.
That specific person then uploads the songs to a soundcloud account.

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
as long as everyone is comfortable with that, sounds ok to me.

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm just brainstorming... I think that will avoid the "playing favorites" thing

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Gotta get enough participants to make it fun / entertaining.

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Aus is right ... the aforementioned arguing that took place during the last contest primarily stemmed from a lack of clear rules / guidelines. I just looked at that old thread again last night, and every single disagreement was over that very issue. I also think the judges need to be made public, as secret / hidden judges will not end well (recipe for hurt feelings / conspiracies for sure).

when its all over, i dont think there will be much controversy about the choice of judges.

as ive touched on, they are all "respected" and honorable members, experienced musicians, with varying tastes in music.

i doubt there would even be the perception of funny business once the curtain comes down.

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
so whats up guys?

who else is in? we need 10 or more.

i think we've only got about 4 so far?

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
ive got tenative confirmation from 4 judges.

waiting on 2 more hopefully. these guys cover a lot of ground. so no matter your style, you will be represented.

i think you'll all be happy with these guys