Anyone use an OTA antenna?

• Thread starter Flag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Flag

Reaction score
I'm new so not sure I have the right to make a thread, but it let me so just wondering. few years ago, dumped the cable box BS, built an antenna and now just use an internet connection and a couple streaming apps. I live in an area that allows me to pull in like 70 channels which is fine with me, I don't watch much TV anyway......my lady is the problem as she likes the modern TV, or I'd ditch an app or two. anyone cut their cord?

No joking around...this is dead serious stuff.....lol, not really.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I'm new so not sure I have the right to make a thread, but it let me so just wondering. few years ago, dumped the cable box BS, built an antenna and now just use an internet connection and a couple streaming apps. I live in an area that allows me to pull in like 70 channels which is fine with me, I don't watch much TV anyway......my lady is the problem as she likes the modern TV, or I'd ditch an app or two. anyone cut their cord?

No joking around...this is dead serious stuff.....lol, not really.
Im dying to cut the cord, $300 a month for nothing!!! My kids dont use it, I dont use it, my wife thinks she needs it for the few reality shows she watches and the news. I told her she can get all of that online, but nope she wants to keep it. Granted I watch alot of Gunsmoke but I'd find other ways to kill time if I didnt have it.

mark123

Reaction score
We dumped cable for streaming a few years ago. The only thing we missed was Jeopardy! so I put up an antenna. HD picture for free. Then Trebek died and it’s just no good anymore so we replaced Jeopardy! with a gym membership. Much better use of the time.

We also dropped most of the streaming services. We only have Disney + because we’re all Star Wars geeks. I think that’s soon to get dropped as well because Disney ruined Star Wars and it is getting worse and worse.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I cut the cable over 20 years ago. I used OTA antennas when I lived places where there was lots of channels. Now I live in the middle of nowhere where you may get lucky and tune into one channel so I don't do OTA anymore. I now use internet for TV and only stream 2 paid apps, Philo and Paramount +. Between the 2 they have everything I would ever care to watch.

Flag

Reaction score
Im dying to cut the cord, $300 a month for nothing!!! My kids dont use it, I dont use it, my wife thinks she needs it for the few reality shows she watches and the news. I told her she can get all of that online, but nope she wants to keep it. Granted I watch alot of Gunsmoke but I'd find other ways to kill time if I didnt have it.
I had the same issue; my lady is so bullheaded about shit. but there's so much now on the apps, you don't need all that BS. once I showed the WARDEN what there was and what we'd save, she now sees.

Flag

Reaction score
I cut the cable over 20 years ago. I used OTA antennas when I lived places where there was lots of channels. Now I live in the middle of nowhere where you may get lucky and tune into one channel so I don't do OTA anymore. I now use internet for TV and only stream 2 paid apps, Philo and Paramount +. Between the 2 they have everything I would ever care to watch.
Have had Philo a few years, nice little service......like people don't know about it. love the On demand, crazy amount of things to watch.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I have Roku TV's and use the older free live TV they provide, lots of channels too.

Have had Philo a few years, nice little service......like people don't know about it. love the On demand, crazy amount of things to watch.
I have 4 Roku's, 3 Roku 2's and a Roku Ultra. I love them. The Roku channel is cool for sure. But I like the Philo and Paramount + the best. I love the on demand stuff but I also like how I can watch TV just like a real broadcast TV. I've had them both for several years now and love them. Philo is just great I watch that 90-95% of the time. A lot of streaming services are just not anything like real TV and I just don't enjoy watching them near as much. Somethings just to unnatural and robotic about them for me. I was raised on real TV and just love real programing and lineups, commercials and all.

Flag

Reaction score
I have 4 Roku's, 3 Roku 2's and a Roku Ultra. I love them. The Roku channel is cool for sure. But I like the Philo and Paramount + the best. I love the on demand stuff but I also like how I can watch TV just like a real broadcast TV. I've had them both for several years now and love them. Philo is just great I watch that 90-95% of the time. A lot of streaming services are just not anything like real TV and I just don't enjoy watching them near as much. Somethings just to unnatural and robotic about them for me. I was raised on real TV and just love real programing and lineups, commercials and all.
I love my antenna because I'm from those days too. If the internet or my power goes down, I can still have TV. I have a couple of power blocks and a solar panel to recharge if needed. being here in Florida the AC is King for me this time of the year.. haha

To me ROKU is the best thing that's ever happened to TV.....so easy and the EPG works so well with an antenna, cheap to boot!

Derek S

Reaction score
I ditched comcast many years ago, much happier with HD attic antenna's for all the tv's in the house. It wasn't as much the monthly $$ as it was the service. The last straw for me was when they started to add an additional charge for local/network channels in HD, I mean those are FREE, ota broadcasts (in high def no less) and they wanted $ for that too? Bullshit (it's not like they're premium channels). I bought some good quality HD antenna's, put them in the attic, ran the cables down to all the room wall connectors, done. No clunky boxes or visible cabling, no monthly bill.

I admit though if we were TV junkie's I probably would've looked at other options (streaming, sat, dish, etc). I guess if you sit around all day and night watching tv, OTA antenna's probably wouldn't be enough (we get around 60 - 70 channels, all stable/strong signal, and we're in the damn sticks, not bad). I think I just realized the majority of what I tend to watch is free, network stuff anyway (live sports on the weekends, a few sitcoms/shows during the weekday evenings, etc)...so between the antenna's, watching stuff on my PC and a couple sweet 4k movie setups (living room and bedroom) to watch flicks, my itch gets scratched and I don't get raped with a monthly bill.

Flag

Reaction score
I ditched comcast many years ago, much happier with HD attic antenna's for all the tv's in the house. It wasn't as much the monthly $$ as it was the service. The last straw for me was when they started to add an additional charge for local/network channels in HD, I mean those are FREE, ota broadcasts (in high def no less) and they wanted $ for that too? Bullshit (it's not like they're premium channels). I bought some good quality HD antenna's, put them in the attic, ran the cables down to all the room wall connectors, done. No clunky boxes or visible cabling, no monthly bill.

I admit though if we were TV junkie's I probably would've looked at other options (streaming, sat, dish, etc). I guess if you sit around all day and night watching tv, OTA antenna's probably wouldn't be enough (we get around 60 - 70 channels, all stable/strong signal, and we're in the damn sticks, not bad). I think I just realized the majority of what I tend to watch is free, network stuff anyway (live sports on the weekends, a few sitcoms/shows during the weekday evenings, etc)...so between the antenna's, watching stuff on my PC and a couple sweet 4k movie setups (living room and bedroom) to watch flicks, my itch gets scratched and I don't get raped with a monthly bill.
That was my thing, I hated paying for my own locals...total BS. plus too many garbage channels with cable and many of the apps you just don't watch.

AtomicRob

Reaction score
I live in a major metro area on top of a big hill. We have an enormous old-school antenna on a mast which was there when we bought the place and probably dates from the 80’s.

We get pretty much any/all channels OTA.

That being said… in the last five years we’ve probably watched an hour total of OTA TV. Only use streaming services now. Can’t stand watching TV, mostly due to all the ads - I have banished ads from all my other devices and I have pretty much zero tolerance now!

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
We're thinking of ditching our satellite..I'm sick to death of having to spend an entire afternoon watching a 90 minute movie because of all the commercial advertising..With a sitcom or other 30 minute show, one only watches about 10-15 minutes..The rest is commercials!

I get it, the companies sponsor the programs and that's how the whole bit works and all, but it's gone totally out of control and over the top! I feel like I'm watching nothing but home shopping networks with bits of a decent movie being thrown in to try and keep my interest.

When we were over in Scotland last month I noticed when we did watch TV, there were far fewer commercials than here in the states..Which is OK, I don't mind watching them when it's not being overdone..Over here it's just stupid.