• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Are There More Bedroom Players on Here?

• Thread starter matttornado
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just left my last band before COVID shutdowns killed live music in my area. I used to play out 2-3 times a month. My new group has played out once in the last 6 months because there aren't many gigs around for a new band to get into. It was also the first gig I used a Marshall for. I thought it sounded great! I have an Origin 20H that I paired with a 2x12. I was able to crank it up pretty much all the way to match our loud drummer. Since we were outside on a large stage, I didn't have to be too concerned with stage volume. Definitely looking forward to using it again in a live setting.

neikeel

Reaction score
Weekend warrior here, average 10-12 gigs a year, mainly parties, balls occ wedding. We have man cave in an annnexe but no near neighbours (nearest is renowned music teacher an publisher) have to attenuate to reasonable volumes. Occasionally let rip but use earplugs for obvious reasons.
Can’t wait for Covid restrictions to end.

Guitar Dave T

Reaction score
Gigging player who's sidelined by Covid like most gigging players these days. I love collaborating with pros who can be relied upon, who listen well, play dynamically and have their own voice they can bring to the mix. It is the number #1 driver of my interest in music.

Gigging, I've been mostly a guitar-knob player, using 50 watt, single channel JMP's, JMP/Plexi's and a JTM-45, and playing the amp rather than dirt pedals.

Now that I'm back to playing at home, it's been a slightly modified low powered combo and a couple dirt pedals, with the amp set at a low enough volume not to disturb someone watching TV in the next room. I practice singing in the car a lot.

Off Topic/Aside: In 44 years of gigging, I only made the mistake of being in bands that first rehearsed before going out and getting gigs twice, and neither lasted longer than 3 months. All other bands were book-the-gigs-first-then-rehearse affairs, including a 19-year running private party band. More recently I would simply book the gigs, then see who was available to play them, then email links if it was someone I hadn't worked with regularly. In the 2 years leading up to Covid, things settled down to mostly the same rhythm section, with different keyboard players depending on availability. I mention this because to me, the gig is not merely a target destination, but the journey along the way. I've learned more, and more quickly, not only under the pressure of the gig, but based on audience energy and feedback, than I would have in endless hours of rehearsals making sure everything was "perfect" (it never is) before getting out there.

anitoli

Reaction score
Gigging player who's sidelined by Covid like most gigging players these days. I love collaborating with pros who can be relied upon, who listen well, play dynamically and have their own voice they can bring to the mix. It is the number #1 driver of my interest in music.

Gigging, I've been mostly a guitar-knob player, using 50 watt, single channel JMP's, JMP/Plexi's and a JTM-45, and playing the amp rather than dirt pedals.

Now that I'm back to playing at home, it's been a slightly modified low powered combo and a couple dirt pedals, with the amp set at a low enough volume not to disturb someone watching TV in the next room. I practice singing in the car a lot.

Off Topic/Aside: In 44 years of gigging, I only made the mistake of being in bands that first rehearsed before going out and getting gigs twice, and neither lasted longer than 3 months. All other bands were book-the-gigs-first-then-rehearse affairs, including a 19-year running private party band. More recently I would simply book the gigs, then see who was available to play them, then email links if it was someone I hadn't worked with regularly. In the 2 years leading up to Covid, things settled down to mostly the same rhythm section, with different keyboard players depending on availability. I mention this because to me, the gig is not merely a target destination, but the journey along the way. I've learned more, and more quickly, not only under the pressure of the gig, but based on audience energy and feedback, than I would have in endless hours of rehearsals making sure everything was "perfect" (it never is) before getting out there.
Cool post. It's true about gigging. When i gigged i learned quick about all kinds of stuff. 3 gigs will improve your playing faster than 5 months of practicing in your basement.

Gaz Baker

Reaction score
I like bacon fried in a pan.
If people want to bake their's in an oven with maple syrup, that's upto them, and no concern of mine. :coffee:
It's still meant to be eaten, and not worth crying over someone else's recipe.:rolleyes:
It's subjective

Adey1981

Reaction score
Bedroom player here, mostly because I'm just not at a skill level to play in any band. Even still, much too introverted to play in front of a crowd.

I was the same all my life. When It came to joining my first band 5 years ago, I was terrified playing in front of people. I felt sick, couldn't look up and felt like I couldn't even play properly because of the nerves and fear of failure (and success). But I stuck at it, it was hard, but slowly it became a little bit easier each time. Then once you start to relax, you play better. You lift your head up and see people dancing and whatever and then you realise, you do belong here. Then you start to realise what music is all about, it's about expression and connecting with your fellow human beings.

Looking back now, I wouldn't change it for the world, especially now with covid, I realise how much it meant to me. Got our first (post covid) rehearsal on Sunday, and I cant f***ing wait.

Never say never

If music means a lot to you, share it.

dro

Reaction score
Problem with Jamming. It seems you always get stuck playing the 1,4,5 blues progression. I'm sorry but once I've heard that crap for an hour. I'm done. Jams in my area anyway have lots of people. But it seems most are beginners. If you try to play something with more changes someone will get pissy and cry like a little bitch. Call me the asshole I am but grow up and learn how to play.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Damn ..second time I read this as "Are you a bathroom player?".
I read once that Hendrix was a 'Bathroom Player'.
He apparently he loved the natural reverb a tiled bathroom could provide!

BTW I tried to verify this with a Google search, but I just kept coming up with stuff like this:

71-yE0nR8eL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

And on the subject of Stage vs Bedroom.
We all deserve the same respect.
It would be like side-lining bikers in a biking forum who don't compete at Monza at least once a year.
We all buy the same kit and want to keep it running smoothly.
The free-flow of ideas between MF'ers is a marvellous thing that doesn't care if you gig or not.

Last edited:

OriginOfTheSpecies

Reaction score
I used to gig as a bass player but it has been a long time now. We used to have a great scene for my type of music 10-15 years ago and we could pack clubs with just a couple of local bands playing originals. It died off, and it is very difficult to capture the motivation and camaraderie of youth with others once you start getting older and everyone gets more ~*adult responsibilities*~.
I have been a bedroom hack player/composer using amp modellers for electric guitar, but bought babby's real first tube amp (Origin 20) a few months ago to inspire me to create and work toward playing my own stuff live on electric (though I don't envision playing anything more than the occasional small gig). Since getting the Origin I have been picking the guitar up everyday and have had a lot of fun figuring the amp out and getting tones at any volume.

Latest posts