Are used Gibson Les Pauls Currently Overpriced?

• Thread starter Marshall Stack
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

telemarshall

Reaction score
I'm still kicking myself for passing on this '94 Standard on the local Craigslist a couple of years ago...

I've got a 2013 LP Studio - and love it - and that's why I hesitated. But in retrospect, I shoulda jumped all over this one..
NZ7Vh7X.gif

After mulling it over for a couple of days, I finally decided to get it - but of course it was gone..

vyBFaSC.jpg

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score

circles

Reaction score
I'm still kicking myself for passing on this '94 Standard on the local Craigslist a couple of years ago...

I've got a 2013 LP Studio - and love it - and that's why I hesitated. But in retrospect, I shoulda jumped all over this one..
NZ7Vh7X.gif

After mulling it over for a couple of days, I finally decided to get it - but of course it was gone..

vyBFaSC.jpg
Ooo sorry you missed that, looks like a beauty. And the price is good IMHO barring unknown issues.

telemarshall

Reaction score
Ooo sorry you missed that, looks like a beauty. And the price is good IMHO barring unknown issues.
The guy in his ad said it was in good shape - But yeah, I should have met up with him and checked it out in person. Then I would have known for sure. He did mention that it was "pretty heavy", but still...

'He who hesitates', and all that.. ☹️

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
April 2023
I've been shopping for months !
They are even more expensive in 2023 :/
$3000 for a new 50s goldtop wtf !
I'm not sure I want to finance one that badly.
I could save $500 by going with a burst,but I've always wanted a gold. If I'm gonna spend,I want what I want.
Used is tricky, A LOT of counterfeits out there too.

chocol8

Reaction score
Buy a quality clone. You can get a better guitar for less money. If it has a good neck, you can drop in good pickups and get a guitar that sounds and plays as good or better than one with Gibson on the headstock.

As far as prices coming down, I expect they will plummet, but not for years. The LP is the guitar for older generation and I simply don't see young people playing anything Gibson these days. As the Boomers age out, sell their homes and clean out their crap, a TON of barely played Gibson guitars will hit the market, but I think that is still years away, maybe another decade plus.

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
Buy a quality clone. You can get a better guitar for less money. If it has a good neck, you can drop in good pickups and get a guitar that sounds and plays as good or better than one with Gibson on the headstock.

As far as prices coming down, I expect they will plummet, but not for years. The LP is the guitar for older generation and I simply don't see young people playing anything Gibson these days. As the Boomers age out, sell their homes and clean out their crap, a TON of barely played Gibson guitars will hit the market, but I think that is still years away, maybe another decade plus.
The guy I bought my Les Paul from had bought two Edward guitars (Les Paul copies) from Japan that he got on Ebay. He thinks the quality is just as good but have a thinner neck which he likes.

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
April 2023
I've been shopping for months !
They are even more expensive in 2023 :/
$3000 for a new 50s goldtop wtf !
I'm not sure I want to finance one that badly.
I could save $500 by going with a burst,but I've always wanted a gold. If I'm gonna spend,I want what I want.
Used is tricky, A LOT of counterfeits out there too.
I was afraid if counterfeits too. I reached out to Gibson and Sweetwater (where he bought it) and they both verified it. He also had the case candy with certificate. It is a 2019 tobacco sunburst that I got for $2,000. It might not be mint but pretty close except for a small nick that is barely noticeable.