AVT Cabinet Upgrade

• Thread starter JPummil
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There should be T-nuts holding the speaker screws in place...

If so, I wouldn't worry about the bigger magnet speakers.
There are T-nuts in the fixed baffle (see pics above).
Agree that 4 speaker bolts should be sufficient unless you're mounting a cast frame like an EVM 12-L or similar.
I have multiple particle board baffles with H mags on 4 bolts.

V-man

Reaction score
I am admittedly not AVT-savy, but while speakers are crucial, there is more than enough talk about noticeable performance of certain cabs (i.e., Solid ply vs MDF… TV vs std. etc).

For me and the real-estate involved, life is too short to cheap out on cab. A speaker upgrade would be a significant improvement but your earlier sentiment echoes mine about good $ after bad. I think it would be easier to dump the cab as a complete original unit than try to sell the speakers and (possibly later) the unloaded or upgraded cab.

Hell, I’d prefer a “keeper” 212 than a cheaper 412, but that’s just me.

JPummil

Reaction score
I am admittedly not AVT-savy, but while speakers are crucial, there is more than enough talk about noticeable performance of certain cabs (i.e., Solid ply vs MDF… TV vs std. etc).

For me and the real-estate involved, life is too short to cheap out on cab. A speaker upgrade would be a significant improvement but your earlier sentiment echoes mine about good $ after bad. I think it would be easier to dump the cab as a complete original unit than try to sell the speakers and (possibly later) the unloaded or upgraded cab.

Hell, I’d prefer a “keeper” 212 than a cheaper 412, but that’s just me.
Part of it is I'm a tinkerer to be honest. But the AVT cab was something I had already (stuffed in a closet) and dimensionally, it's not much bigger than my Avatar 2x12 cab which is important in the space it'll be used in.

I considered buying some good baltic birch plywood and building a duplicate of the AVT dimensionally, but the thought of dealing with the Tolex terrified me to be honest. Maybe @fitz will do a video on how he does it at some point.

JPummil

Reaction score
Success! Well...mostly.

Original setup:
AVT-Cab-01.jpg

Looks like a 2002:
AVT-Cab-01a.jpg

Ended up going with a combo of WGS Invader 50's and ET-65's. Quite the difference in magnet size between the WGS's and the old Celestion AVT series:
AVT-Cab-02.jpg

All installed in an X pattern and ready to button up:
AVT-Cab-03.jpg

Kinda cool looking without the front cover to be honest...
AVT-Cab-04.jpg

But....as I'd purchased new grill cloth, piping, and a new emblem:
AVT-Cab-05.jpg

Being my first recover, I learned a lot. Not unhappy with the effort at all. And the WGS combo sounds amazing!!!

GSP

Reaction score
Celestion Vintage 30's or G12H's sound great in a 4x12 cab.

Latest posts