AVT Thread

• Thread starter mrpipster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

emejia

Reaction score
At one point I had a DSL50 half stack, TSL 602 and AVT50. I thought the AVT 50 sounded better than the TSL, so I sold the TSL and kept the AVT. I think you'll like it. Great as a portable, rugged practice amp, and good enough for small gigs. Of course I kept the DSL50 too, nothing touches that IMO.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont know how to post pics. How do I do that?

At the top left go to User CP > Pictures & Albums. If there are no albums listed, create a new album and upload your pics there. After uploded, click on a pic in your album and grab the link, then paste the link into the body of your post.

Failing that, you can upload to a public photo sharing site, such as [URL="http://imgur.com/"]Imgur.com[/URL]. Your pics will be viewable on the web, so you may want to be careful about uploading private info.

mrpipster

Reaction score
I will try and have my daughter help me with that tomorrow.
Thanks.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
No problem bro - we all love to see gear pics. Makes us go "ooooh" and "ahhhh" - you know, stuff like that. :yesway:

bad565ss

Reaction score
No problem bro - we all love to see gear pics. Makes us go "ooooh" and "ahhhh" - you know, stuff like that. :yesway:

No longer have this but it was an AVT50.
picture.php

MemphisMarshallMan

Reaction score
I toured using two avt50h's each run into their own separate 1960a cabs. Ive modded my atv50h's and I think they sound pretty good. There is a capacitor in those amps that needs to be swapped out to keep the head from over heating. Off the top of my head I dont remember which one, but usually if you look at the circuit board you will see it. Its the one thats got the burn looking marks around it on the green circuit board and it will be physically distorted from heat distress. If it burns up totally the amp quits working, but its a super easy fix to swap it out for a higher value. A quick internet search will give you the location of the cap and what value to swap it for.
The other avt50 mod that helps tremendously is disconnecting the reverb tank. Once you do that you will notice a tonal difference in the amp, and now your reverb control knob will act as a presence knob allowing you to roll in some serious bite into your tone.
There was a guy on a forum who developed a mid range control circuit for the avt's clean channel and had them for sale but Ive never been able to contact him.
My amp tech told me the tube only affects the overdrive channel and not the clean channel.
Although I find myself using my dsl100h's now, I was very happy with my atv50's after the mods and wouldnt think twice about going back to them.

Last edited:

iron broadsword

Reaction score
I gigged an AVT150h for years.. great amp, but I couldn't believe my ears when I put it through a 1960a cab. I would highly recommend changing the speaker(s) in it to a G12T75 or other commonly paired speaker with a marshall.. any frowns will be wiped away.

I always liked a tung-sol 12ax7 in there, and mostly used the clean channel boosted. The two OD channels sounded great after the cab swap though.

(war)thrash5150

Reaction score
I had an avt50 combo before that really wasn't that bad. Had a fair amount of low end for a combo. I would get another or the head version for the right price.

javier pintos

Reaction score
I toured using two avt50h's each run into their own separate 1960a cabs. Ive modded my atv50h's and I think they sound pretty good. There is a capacitor in those amps that needs to be swapped out to keep the head from over heating. Off the top of my head I dont remember which one, but usually if you look at the circuit board you will see it. Its the one thats got the burn looking marks around it on the green circuit board and it will be physically distorted from heat distress. If it burns up totally the amp quits working, but its a super easy fix to swap it out for a higher value. A quick internet search will give you the location of the cap and what value to swap it for.
The other avt50 mod that helps tremendously is disconnecting the reverb tank. Once you do that you will notice a tonal difference in the amp, and now your reverb control knob will act as a presence knob allowing you to roll in some serious bite into your tone.
There was a guy on a forum who developed a mid range control circuit for the avt's clean channel and had them for sale but Ive never been able to contact him.
My amp tech told me the tube only affects the overdrive channel and not the clean channel.
Although I find myself using my dsl100h's now, I was very happy with my atv50's after the mods and wouldnt think twice about going back to them.

Howdy

There is/was a Guy here on this fórum that use to make some mods or something, his name is Peter, he stoped making those mods and he told me to replace a simple resistor with a pot for the mid control, never ended up trying it due to time constrains

i do have the pot value and the resistor, however since he sent it over a PM i don´t know if is ok to sare it in the open.

Anyone know this guy, how can we get in contact with him, i just can´t find a way to search members, maybe is there but i just don´t see it

Best regards

mrpipster

Reaction score
So dose anyone have any favorite settings they like to use?
I don't yet but, have been having fun trying to dial it in.

benoityip

Reaction score
I use AVT 100, here is my settings for metal, love the sound

I use Eppiphone Les Paul with GFS Fat pat pick up

OD2
Scoop button on
Bass -3
Middle - Max
Treble & Presence - Middle

With a 6 band eq in FX loop at max
- Cut below 100 hz, otherwise you will compete with the bass, also remove the boomy sound
- increase 400hz and 800hz (scoope button cutting too much mids)
- little cut at 3.2khz

I do mixing myself, this will bring up the guitar sound clear, stock speaker (G12-T100 I believe), and closed back produce way too much bass, good for your own, poor for mix

For my other non-les paul guitar, put the bass knob to 5

Sidewinder

Reaction score
Congrats on the Marshall! I really like the AVT amps. Count me as one of the people whom can hear the difference in different 12ax7s. It might be less about tone though, and more and sizzle. Some sound hot, some don't.

As far as settings go. You just have to always be experimenting as your situation may change. For example how your amp is sitting in a room can have a big affect on what you're hearing. The variables go on and on, so IMO my settings might sound like mud to you.

I have a AVT 20 and the clean is just top notch. I've said this here before and a few have chimed in to affirm that. Some don't get it, but I think a lot of people just overlook these amps. More for me!

I also have a AVT 100 and AVT 150 Combo. The AVT 150 Combo is my favorite. It is such a versatile amp. The on board affects are really good. The amp is punchy especially with the AVT 1x12 extension cab, but with a ton of mids and highs to round it out.

Here are a few photos:

Marshall AVT 150 Combo with AVT 1x12 Extension Cab

picture.php

Marshall AVT 20 atop a 1960 4x12 Negative.

picture.php

wmachine

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2006 AVT150X Combo. Was not looking for any amp, but went to pick up a guitar case I bought on CL and he asked if I was interested in an amp, and of course I had to look at it. Not familiar with AVTs, I was going to pass, but when he demo'd it for me and ended up taking $175.00 for it, I couldn't pass on it and brought it home.
This appears to me to be how far Marshall went towards a "modeling amp" before deciding not to go in that direction. I already have a Peavey Vypyr VIP100 with a Sanpera II (which I really like for what it can do), so I don't really want another modeling amp. But this AVT150X Combo is nice. I've plugged in an old Traynor cab to get get the full 150 watts out of it. I wonder if the detractors have read about doing that? Or read the manual for suggested settings?
I haven't used it enough to tell much yet, but the way the manual reads suggests to me if there are "ways to get the most out of it", there must be ways that it doesn't work so well too. So I'm guessing at this point some of the criticism comes from those that have "just messed around with it" and have not found (let's call them) the sweet spots. In defense of the critics, finding the "right" settings may not be an intuitive process.

Attachments

• AVT150X pics 2.jpg
    AVT150X pics 2.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 8

Sidewinder

Reaction score
wmachine, that is a pretty good deal you got there if the amp is in good shape. Consider when I purchased mine new at a local guitar shop it was just under 500.00 dollars.

One thing people should know about, certainly the 150 head and combo if not other AVT amps is that the little cooling fans can go out. The 150 has two and they're small like the old school computer processor fans. The head is probably the same. They're cheap and easy to replace. Ebay always has them and they're about 4-5 bucks. 10.00 dollars and an hour of your time fiddling around and you're as good as new.

Just always make sure you can hear the little fans running when you switch on the amp. Have the volume all the way down, so you can hear them.

When these fans start to go they sometimes make a winding sound. That's when it's time to order a couple new ones. Replacing the fans is self explanatory when you get the chassis out. Worst case if the replacement fan doesn't have the same plug type that goes to the board, you cut and solder the old plugs onto the new fan leads and use shrink wrap. Easy peazy.

Don't run this amp if both fans aren't running properly.

Lastly if you ever need to replace the fans search the ebay listings for the type that have ball bearings preferably. I keep an extra set on hand as I can't see ever getting rid of the amp.

Here are the fans on eBay: Edit: Link wasn't working for me, so just search

"40x40x10mm - 24v"

mtm105

Reaction score
I found the amp to be lacking in tone and the gain was harsh and unnatural.
Just sounded like an ok solid state amp to me.:shrug:

Last year I sold mine, a year later, for what I paid for it. I read stories where the first year models were burning up turret boards like crazy. But, I guess if what you have has already survived this long, that's not likely to happen.

It's probably about one of the best Marshall sounds you can get at low volumes. I have 1980's Lead 12 Head, which I prefer, if I need that sound.

In a nutshell, it's good for beginners and low volumes. The louder it gets, the more Solid State becomes pronounced.

That's my limited experience with Marshall, outside of a 1960A Cab. I am almost exclusively boutique.

Here is a triple deck of my Marshalleque sound,...two EL 34s and one mini EL 84.:

royslead

Reaction score
I used to own an AVT150h, I found to be a very useful amp, especially for practice and such. I ended up selling it, due to downsizing the amount of equipment I had;but I would not hesitate in getting another.

wmachine

Reaction score
One thing people should know about, certainly the 150 head and combo if not other AVT amps is that the little cooling fans can go out. The 150 has two and they're small like the old school computer processor fans. The head is probably the same. They're cheap and easy to replace. Ebay always has them and they're about 4-5 bucks. 10.00 dollars and an hour of your time fiddling around and you're as good as new.

Just always make sure you can hear the little fans running when you switch on the amp. Have the volume all the way down, so you can hear them.

When these fans start to go they sometimes make a winding sound. That's when it's time to order a couple new ones. Replacing the fans is self explanatory when you get the chassis out. Worst case if the replacement fan doesn't have the same plug type that goes to the board, you cut and solder the old plugs onto the new fan leads and use shrink wrap. Easy peazy.

Don't run this amp if both fans aren't running properly.

Lastly if you ever need to replace the fans search the ebay listings for the type that have ball bearings preferably. I keep an extra set on hand as I can't see ever getting rid of the amp.

Here are the fans on eBay: Edit: Link wasn't working for me, so just search

"40x40x10mm - 24v"

Yes, it is in excellent shape, clean, and it appears everything is working. Thanks very much for the extensive fan info, will keep that handy.
I do note that mine is a AVT1500X combo and Marshall said this out the X models: "The AVT50X, AVT100X, and AVT150X models now feature variable speed fans, enabling them to run hotter, yet cooler, than ever before."
Apparently Marshall became quickly aware of fan problems with earlier modes? And of course that doesn't mean the didn't continue to have fans go out. So I'll still keep an ear open. How can you tell if you're hearing one fan or two?
Again, thanks for the heads up.