AVT Thread

• Thread starter mrpipster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sidewinder

Reaction score
In my experience the fans don't stop because of a electrical related problem. The bushings wear out because the stock fans are not ball bearing. You'll hear the fan making a winding noise if this starts. If the winding noise stops, it my be not turning at all.

Here is a link to a photo of the fans in place on a chassis. You can see the twisted red and black leads that go to the board.

http://www.fearsomesound.com/images/New Folder (3)/Marshall AVT150H Chassis.JPG

benoityip

Reaction score
A useful and very long article explaning solid state and tube. Details of the valvestate 1 and 2 and avt are explained. It said AVT has more gain stages by feeding the signal back to another mosfet

http://www.jeanpierrepoulin.com/PDF/transistor.pdf

Extract as below on page 276

Aside employing a conventional mixed-mode feedback configuration that provides a “tube-like” frequency response, Valvestate amplifiers contain no circuitry that would specifically emulate characteristics of a tube amplifier. However, excluding the lowpower models of the first two Valvestate lineups the amplifiers do employ an actual dual triode ECC83 in the preamplifier circuit. Yet that fact just makes them simple hybrids - and not even very novel as such. It can be argued whether mixed-mode feedback should be considered as tube emulation technique or not but based on the fact that some Valvestate models include a switch between “Valvestate” (current feedback path toggled) and “Linear” (current feedback path open) it is clear that Marshall has formed their opinion about the issue. Yet, current feedback is not even exclusive to Valvestate lineup: For example, it was already in use in the MG series where the FDD (Frequency Dependant Damping) feature simply disabled a low cut filter that attenuated the resonance peak. It should be noted that, excluding the tube stage, circuit designs of various Valvestate amplifiers are very different from each other. Basically, the more advanced (and expensive) the model is, the more sophisticated circuit it contains. Considering the triode circuit, first and second Valvestate lineups were virtually identical. In the AVT series (Advanced Valvestate Technology) the section is revised. A typical Valvestate preamplifier has nearly separate signal paths for clean- and overdrive channels. Common nominator is sharing the tube stage. Solid-state stages of the clean channel are basically configured to be virtually transparent within the realistic range of input signals, thus the channel will provide only tube overdrive. Overdrive channel, however, utilizes diode clipping and provides both solid-state and tube overdrive. As a rough generalization, the first and second lineup used a shunting diode clipping configuration while the circuits of AVT series utilize diodes in the OpAmp feedback loop, thus being less prone for driving OpAmps to clip into rails. The limiting stage is located before the tube stage but the placement of gain-, and in some cases tone, controls varies widely in different models. Typically tone controls follow the tube stage forming the cathode follower buffering arrangement that is similar to many Marshall circuits. The dual tube stage of series 1 and 2 Valvestate amplifiers consists of a common cathode stage, which is directly coupled to a cathode follower. This has been a typical circuit in Marshall amplifiers ever since JTM45 and it allows driving the tone stack from fairly low impedance source. The B+ voltage of Valvestate amplifiers is approximately 109 V so it is somewhat lower than the B+ of typical tube amplifiers. The moderately low value is pretty typical for all similar hybrid circuits. Although the voltage gain of a cathode follower is less than unity the whole tube section, counter intuitively, has fairly symmetric clipping characteristics: According to magnitude of drive signal the clipping turns from asymmetric (cathode follower is overdriven) into “semi-symmetric” (the common cathode stage clips as well). Both configurations also have different clipping characteristics: Cathode follower generally clips “harshly” while the common cathode has “softer” clipping. The input impedance of the following stage also has huge effect on the behavior: Purely resistive load creates very harsh clipping while the irregular loading impedance of a typical FMV tonestack circuit can actually soften it a bit. Aside from having lower gain the performance of the circuit is identical to similar circuit in JTM45, Fender Bassman and various other “classic” tube amplifiers.

In the AVT series the tube stage is configured to provide more gain by wiring the second tube to common cathode configuration as well. The typical cathode follower concept is still maintained but the tube is replaced with a MOSFET that shares the high rail voltages. Not shown in the schematic is the zener diode protection that connects between the source and the gate and consists of two back-to-back 15 V zener diodes. It is claimed that a MOSFET is a very “transparent” replacement of a tube in a follower configuration. While being partially correct the claim is also a bit misleading: In the concerned circuit the cathode (or source) resistance is very high, which biases the follower so that it is driven into clipping. (This is exactly the same thing that happened in the earlier Valvestate circuit as well). If one would decrease the cathode resistance from the typical value of about 47 – 100 kilo-ohms to, say, 3.3 kilo-ohms the follower would operate in the linear region and would not clip the signal. However, knowing this doesn’t change the existing design to anything else than what it already is. In this case the follower will clip – and this is an essential ingredient of the circuit’s tone. However, I haven’t yet seen a MOSFET that in the source follower configuration would have similar clipping characteristics as a triode in cathode follower configuration. This is not saying that the circuit couldn’t clip “softly” or “tube-like” – just that a MOSFET does not behave exactly like a triode. MOSFET choice is an extremely important aspect of the design and the device choice dominates the clipping characteristics of the preceding tube stage as well.

Rokinroller

Reaction score
Interesting AVT thread here .... sorry I had not seen it and I had started a "NAD" thread for my newly acquired AVT100 1x12 combo which I am really liking a lot. Having owned many all tube Marshall heads and being very pleased by all of them ... ( 800's 900's DSL 50 /100 ) , this AVT 100 is no less satisfying than any other Marshall I've played. I bought it on impulse and have no regrets at all . Very happy to own this fine amp.

benoityip

Reaction score

and in guitar magazine, russian edition, it compares AVT20 to a TSL60, and it sounds good. I have to use google translate to translate from Russian to English to read

http://www.guitarsmagazine.ru/read_002.php?marshall-avt20

Also, I have made a mistake in my previous post for the power amp section compared to older valvestate
AVT uses frequency dependent power amp damping and Marshall's proprietary, dynamic clip level technology (which emulates the HT supply of a valve power amp)

From my ears, I can tell the difference they made in the power section of this amp, It sounds like "virtual 3D". Older valvestate sounds 2D, hence some people thinks AVT sounds loose compared to older valvestate, but this is my speculation

and I guess the technology is similar to peavey transtube series (solid state)
https://peavey.com/support/technotes/hartley/Chapter_3.pdf

gearhead

Reaction score
One thing I found on the AVT150H, is that if you run a cable from the effects out to the effects in, and crank the effect mix wide open it really adds a lot to the sound! The effects loop isn't in series, it's in parallel, so it adds volume and more overdrive.

Mauro

Reaction score
One thing I found on the AVT150H, is that if you run a cable from the effects out to the effects in, and crank the effect mix wide open it really adds a lot to the sound! The effects loop isn't in series, it's in parallel, so it adds volume and more overdrive.

I can confirm that!
It adds a lot more punch to the overall sound... simple "mod" :hbang:

Mauro

Reaction score
I was looking across the internet for some deeper infromation about this amp, but found almost nothing!

Short story: Went to a gig and used the backline cabs, which supposed to be 8 ohms... but they were not! so I fucking burned the amp...

When I took it home and checked (not much of a pro electronic guy, but I can do some things), the fuse and both amplifiers were fried... so I got them for around $10 each and started the repair.

Amplifiers are TDA7293, and when they get fried, they get short circuit, so to make sure there wasnt another component in failure, I disconnected both amp boards. Good... no other component failed and the voltage was right . So I started the surgery

1.jpg

This 15 pin amplifiers are soldered directly to the board, and it was a pain in the ass to unsolder them, and as this is the component that often fail, would damage the board if solder and unsolder too many times, so, I looked for a base to adapt and make them more of a plug and play component.

No base was found :(

So i bought a regular microchip base and cut it in 2 parts , and solder it to the board. voila... looks and works great!

2.jpg

After putting the amps on and testing every pin, I was ready to mount and power on

3.jpg

Worked, and now I will make sure before plugging any cabinet ....

Cheers!

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking across the internet for some deeper infromation about this amp, but found almost nothing!

Short story: Went to a gig and used the backline cabs, which supposed to be 8 ohms... but they were not! so I fucking burned the amp...

When I took it home and checked (not much of a pro electronic guy, but I can do some things), the fuse and both amplifiers were fried... so I got them for around $10 each and started the repair.

Amplifiers are TDA7293, and when they get fried, they get short circuit, so to make sure there wasnt another component in failure, I disconnected both amp boards. Good... no other component failed and the voltage was right . So I started the surgery

1.jpg

This 15 pin amplifiers are soldered directly to the board, and it was a pain in the ass to unsolder them, and as this is the component that often fail, would damage the board if solder and unsolder too many times, so, I looked for a base to adapt and make them more of a plug and play component.

No base was found :(

So i bought a regular microchip base and cut it in 2 parts , and solder it to the board. voila... looks and works great!

2.jpg

After putting the amps on and testing every pin, I was ready to mount and power on

3.jpg

Worked, and now I will make sure before plugging any cabinet ....

Cheers!
Yea don't they suck removing? I cut the individual pins and pulled them seperately. After I did one I saw the whole output module for sale cheap, and I wished I would have went that route instead, and saved some time.

Mauro

Reaction score
Yea don't they suck removing? I cut the individual pins and pulled them seperately. After I did one I saw the whole output module for sale cheap, and I wished I would have went that route instead, and saved some time.

I did the same :D

And the module was too expensive for the piece of crap it is, thats why I only replaced that :pops::pops::pops:

Zensee

Reaction score
I love when someone goes off the beaten path and finds the good in a forgotten amp. I hope you have a blast with it!
:applause:

bfglp

Reaction score
I finally got around to doing the simple mods to my AVT20

Swapped out the tube with a new Mullard 12AX7 and the speaker with a Greanback G10 30 8ohm

And I’m happy with the results it has A nice clean tone gain low and volume dimed out bringing up the gain yields vintage tones.

With over drive channel you can achieve JCM800 tones but the noise floor gets annoying if pushed to much

Useful practice or back line for small gigs if running through the house system
Definitely not for high gain metal bands but a good cheap lightweight rockin roll rig!

The Dose of Harmony

Reaction score
I am not familiar w/ the AVT myself, but, can agree w/ the fact that the same things were said about the JMP-1 pre-amp & also the JCM900 series amps when they came out. The JMP-1 pre-amp's tone changes drastically when I change 12AX7 tubes in it...

I think some people are pretty much tone deaf. The same people who say that wood doesn't affect the tone of your guitar. If they don't hear it, it must not affect anything. I wonder how they hear music notes/tones...

Not trying to be disrespectful, but, they seem to be disrespectful to those who can hear the differences. Maybe they aren't, but, neither am I (are we)...

:shrug:
Every time i hear an Idiot saying that wood does not affect the tone !
I can hear in my head “carefull with that axe eugene song from pink floyd”

“One of this Days i am gonna cut you into litle pieces”

dumb asses!
I dont even think of meeting one of them
In person!!!

They better run!

lol

Avt are bad ass i have Avt 100 pretty good amp!
Lots of people
Have recorded with them !

old lefty

Reaction score
pedl 00039 6 switch from marshall is around $200 bucks they are hard to find on e bay and reverb and such i been lookin for 1 for years used they go quick if they are online for a a day or 2 dealing with g.c. is a crap shoot at best i ordered a heavier magnet celestion for my 150 avt sumbitch was made in china and it said special design for marshall it looked just like the old one. g.c. folks do not know anything they get paid min wage with a small commission i put a vs 4x12 cab under it it opened up a lot same lightweight speakers though. it now has fried the powerboards and blew the main 4a fuse it's a 2000 year model i unplugged the power board section when they blew up and sparked it made a sqeal put in new marshall fuse turned it on the pre amp tube lights up and i left it on for a few seconds turned it off tech said he would have to chase it down in the main board on the bottom $75 bench rate 1 hr min just to diagnose he had 2 other ones in there and 3 jcm 900's too and he had a few fenders in there too so tube amps will develop problems too i got mc intosh mc -30's runnin some small altecs they blow a cap or the tubes will get weak after time they are 1958 models hade em since 75 but they do sound unreal i have run big draw speakers like cv vs 150 with without an issue for years
too

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every time i hear an Idiot saying that wood does not affect the tone !
I can hear in my head “carefull with that axe eugene song from pink floyd”

“One of this Days i am gonna cut you into litle pieces”

dumb asses!
I dont even think of meeting one of them
In person!!!

They better run!

lol

Avt are bad ass i have Avt 100 pretty good amp!
Lots of people
Have recorded with them !
Love Pink Floyd and David Gilmour! :D