Avt412 vs mg412

• Thread starter Matthewthomas
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been considering an MG412 cabinet because I like the size and am willing(ish) to put in the cost and effort to upgrade the speakers. I also have the option of getting an AVT412 (it has standard speakers {g12-412AVT} except for one rocket 50 that replaced one of the originals that had a bad coil). The AVT would also come with the AVT150H.
My main reason for posting is that when I look through here and the interweb in general, mg412 is almost universally DESPISED (my apologies and appreciation to those who differ and have offered helpful advice about the mg412), but when you look into the avt412 it’s more of a mixed bag, mostly averaging from ‘meh’ to ‘they hold their own’. They seem to be of similar construction which is one main gripe about the MG, so perhaps the speakers were significantly better in the Avt? I believe someone said the Avt g12’s were made in England, but that could be wrong. The Avt speakers seem to have similarly minuscule magnets.
Can some of you speak to how they actually compare in terms of quality of construction and sound? Or account for why the mg’s seem to have at LEAST 90% opinion against them where the Avt cabs are more 50\50?
Any thoughts about how useful or good an AVT150H would be appreciated also. I have already seen quite a bit about cooling fan issues and FX loop issues, plus this gear is about 20 years old, but let’s assume everything works. Cheers!

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been considering an MG412 cabinet because I like the size and am willing(ish) to put in the cost and effort to upgrade the speakers. I also have the option of getting an AVT412 (it has standard speakers {g12-412AVT} except for one rocket 50 that replaced one of the originals that had a bad coil). The AVT would also come with the AVT150H.
My main reason for posting is that when I look through here and the interweb in general, mg412 is almost universally DESPISED (my apologies and appreciation to those who differ and have offered helpful advice about the mg412), but when you look into the avt412 it’s more of a mixed bag, mostly averaging from ‘meh’ to ‘they hold their own’. They seem to be of similar construction which is one main gripe about the MG, so perhaps the speakers were significantly better in the Avt? I believe someone said the Avt g12’s were made in England, but that could be wrong. The Avt speakers seem to have similarly minuscule magnets.
Can some of you speak to how they actually compare in terms of quality of construction and sound? Or account for why the mg’s seem to have at LEAST 90% opinion against them where the Avt cabs are more 50\50?
Any thoughts about how useful or good an AVT150H would be appreciated also. I have already seen quite a bit about cooling fan issues and FX loop issues, plus this gear is about 20 years old, but let’s assume everything works. Cheers!
Cabs are similar in construction, if either is in better overall cosmetic condition, it's probably the one to get.
Neither cab nor the speakers in them, are top of the line, so the internet gear wizards are going to make themselves seem important by saying they suck.
Speaker choice is completely subjective to personal preference, and you would probably prefer one over the other for reasons that no one but you need understand.

If the cabs are not damaged, and you have no plans for a world stadium tour, you can replace the speakers over time and either cab would be great for a smaller footprint home rig.
Another thing to consider is that if you don't pay much for them, they'll be easy to re-sell for about the same amount if you choose to upgrade in the future.
Keep the old speakers in case you want to put them back in to sell, and move the better replacement speakers to another cab.

I know nothing about the ATV150...