• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Back in '79...

• Thread starter stax
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GIBSON67

Reaction score
I was 14 in '79, and I remeber just getting into music..."Who are You" was my first album I ever bought. I remember all those silk shirts and bad dancing of the disco years.

I started seeing shows when I started driving in early '81, Foghat and Triumph! I didn't get my first guitar until after I graduated HS, and it was a beat up gut string acoustic that wouldn't stay in tune and had a warped fingerboard...ah the good ole days!

rocknblues

Reaction score
I was a young grade-school pup in "79. Funny, I can remember from 4 to 6 years old, but very little from age 5 to 10.

What I do recall though is that everybody smoked, Tom Landry demanded incredible respect from his players (and he never raised his voice), trans-ams and vettes were awesome, Burt Reynolds was cool, Steve Martin was still funny, Welcome Back Carter, All In the Family, Sanford and Son, and I fell in love with Jaqueline Smith (Charlie's Angels).

Music-wise, I remember hearing Bellamy Brothers, Willie Nelson, Fteetwood Mac, Sabbath, KISS and the Bee Gees.

Another memory is teachers in small towns would spank kids in the classroom on a regular basis.

stax

VIP Member
Reaction score
I fell in love with Jaqueline Smith (Charlie's Angels).

Me too!! Man, I was in love with her!

I haven't heard some of these names in years, like Schmidt Sticks, Mike McGill, Jaqueline Smith, Trans-am and dollar a gallon gas!!!

Jim Marshall should be proud, he has legions of fans, from us old farts down to the young kids.

GIBSON67

Reaction score
Oh, those Z's were killer! I had a friend who had a 260Z, it was a chick magnet for sure!

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
hmmm, i was 8

hotel california and highway to hell had me under a rock guitar spell already. im not sure if i had discovered the silvertone guitar in the closet yet or not...

other than that, i was into 8 yr old stuff. finding the biggest most death defying jumps on my bike...building forts in the woods, building floating "boats" out of pallets and other floaty stuff haha.

i dont have any clue what else...

Feeling Supersonic

Reaction score
My childhood, which I'm still in a residual warming incubator of in terms of culture, consists of hundreds of 'things'.

I will always see these as my first interests in terms of music and activity.

- Skateboarding [huge part of my childhood]
- Physical Fatness Volume III [Great compilation album]
- Eminem [Slim Shady LP + Marshall Mathers LP]
- Metallica [Black Album]
- Neil Young [Heart of Gold single]
- Foreigner
- Limp Bizkit
- Supertramp
- RUN DMC
- Gary Moore [Blues and ballads]
- Yngwie Malmsteen
- Nitro RC truggy racing
- Guitar playing
- Dr. Dre 2000
- 9/11

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
I owned a 1979 strat once. It was awful. I hope yours is a nicer example. Bad year for strats the late 70s.

i had a 78 same finish/color scheme as stax's, i bought it in the early 90s, so it was already bastardized with a big kahler. but, i have to say it was a very nice player and a tone machine.

the neck pockets were infamously sloppy on some of those 70's era strats, but they can still be set up to be reliable players.

drybone

Reaction score
I was 17, playing in my high school band with my best friends. Not to many gigs, but we sure drank a lot of beer and practiced 3 times a week weather we needed to or not. Had my les paul in my avatar, a peavey stack just like skynyrd. Top of the world ma!:applause:

stax

VIP Member
Reaction score
I owned a 1979 strat once. It was awful. I hope yours is a nicer example. Bad year for strats the late 70s.

I don't just buy a guitar, it has to do something for me, so I wouldn't buy a guitar ever that felt, sounded or played bad.

This ol' girl weighs in at 7.1lbs, sounds like glass and bells, plays like a 22 year olds firm boobs and has a figured maple neck and oddly a figured swamp ash body.

And one late 70's feature that it does have is what is known as the Glazed Donut.

33KHD

Reaction score
I was 9 years old, wearing out my copy of Breakfast in America and pissed my parents were making me play classical guitar.

BlackSG91

Reaction score
I didn't get my first electric guitar until I was 17 back in 1988. It was an '87 Profile Strat copy in black (MIK). I still have that guitar to this day. I actually bought it in the pawn shop awhile ago in 2008 after selling it to my brother back in 1994. In '08, I saw it in the store window late at night and I couldn't believe my eyes.:eek: I got the wife to buy that guitar the next day while I was at work (it didn't cost much:lol:). It's good to be reunited with your first instrument. Speaking of my brother, he's almost 13 years older than me so back in '79 he was playing guitar also which inspired me later on.;) He sure drank quite a bit and did a lot of drugs back then. The 1970's was sure a party decade. My brother always had friends over when my mother was working. Music, liquor and drugs were in the air when I was just a little tyke. My brother's friends were very nice though. They were polite & good natured fellows.:drunk::agreed:

stax

VIP Member
Reaction score
In 79 I had this....

:wallbash:

Wow, I bought my first new Gibson Les Paul in 1981 and it was the same one as you have in your picture. It was jacked by some fuktard a couple of years later and that pain was worse than any of my breakups or divorce!!!

Latest posts