Bare Knuckle pickups?

• Thread starter DirtySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 2 sets, Aftermaths in a 7 string and a strat set.
Both very good, never really thought of them as LP pickups but they must do some for LPs.

They do lots of cover designs too.

I'm kind of liking the description of the Black Dog, I like a darker sounding bridge pickup with plenty of low end chug, but I'm afraid they might be too dark. They have so many models I'm looking for opinions before I pull the trigger.

Last edited:

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Yup, sounded great.
Probably mainly the amp and the player but the pickups do make a difference.
They last for years and keep resale value so if you work out the hourly cost even expensive pickups are good value.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
"The Black Dog humbuckers are also particularly good at providing extra definition and punch to extended scale guitars. Seven string and baritone guitars benefit from better control of the highs and increased definition in the bass."

Yes, thats what I notice about my Aftermaths, they sound really defined even when bashing a 7 string in open tunings, with lots of gain.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
It irks the crap out of me that I can't find a demo of any of these pickups where someone is rocking out on some chords and palm muting. All the demos are lead playing and most of them suck, I can't tell shit from that. The vid I posted is the best one I can find and it really doesn't tell me much as far as what I mostly play.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Now that I'm thinking about it, I actually only need a bridge pickup. I don't use a neck pickup much and I'm pretty happy with my neck pickup as is. It's a PlanetTone Blues Heritage and it's nice, I like it a lot as far as neck pickups go.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
It irks the crap out of me that I can't find a demo of any of these pickups where someone is rocking out on some chords and palm muting. All the demos are lead playing and most of them suck, I can't tell shit from that. The vid I posted is the best one I can find and it really doesn't tell me much as far as what I mostly play.
No online demo is going to tell you anything about how a pickup responds in your guitar and under your fingers. I was not a fan of the BK pickups I had--the BDs and Mules. Felt "overpotted" to me. Lacked dynamics.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No online demo is going to tell you anything about how a pickup responds in your guitar and under your fingers.
I was kinda thinking a similar thought.
Video sounded great.
Wonder how much different it would sound if he played the exact same thing through that rig using DS's LP Standard with the current pickups?

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Jim Wagner Godwood was the pickup I was expecting the BK BD to be

I have a Godwood set, I bought them thinking they would be as good as the Darkburst set, but I was very disappointed in them at the time. Since then my whole rig has changed, maybe I should give them another try. :hmm:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Wonder how much different it would sound if he played the exact same thing through that rig using DS's LP Standard with the current pickups?

Yeah...

And then with my amp, too. :hmm:

I know I can't trust demo vids. I watched another video earlier where a kid was comparing the Black Dog to a Gibson 57 and the BD sounded really bright and thin with no bottom end at all.

Abrasive1

Reaction score
I have a Knaggs Steve Stevens Severn with Bare Knuckle SS pickups, I think they are essentially a hotter version of Mules. There are plenty of videos of these pickups. I personally love the sound and articulation. The coil split works perfectly and also gets great tone. Knaggs uses Bare Knuckles in a few guitars. Dimarzio DP151 might also get you what you want.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a set of their Stormy Monday pickups. They are in a Les Paul that is my "blues guitar." I like them a lot. If I didn't, they'd be yanked quickly.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think he'll mind if I post this here. This is a demo Ramo made of the Black Dog pickups. Even though this isn't exactly the kind of stuff I play, it tells me a hell of a lot more than the other vid does, but this demo along with the one I posted earlier tells me the Black dog might be the one I want to try IF I decide to try one.

Last edited:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Knaggs Steve Stevens Severn with Bare Knuckle SS pickups, I think they are essentially a hotter version of Mules. There are plenty of videos of these pickups. I personally love the sound and articulation. The coil split works perfectly and also gets great tone. Knaggs uses Bare Knuckles in a few guitars. Dimarzio DP151 might also get you what you want.

I've watched the demos on those SSs and they do sound pretty good, but I'm not sure they're for me.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I have a Godwood set, I bought them thinking they would be as good as the Darkburst set, but I was very disappointed in them at the time. Since then my whole rig has changed, maybe I should give them another try. :hmm:
Depends on whether we have similar tastes I suppose. I have them in 2 historic LPs but I like plenty of sparkle and little to no low end push. I like a lot of sensitivity but I also don't use a ton of gain. That's why pickups are so tough to judge outside of trying yourself--like you said everyone online loves BK pickups and I didn't at all. After resale it's not that expensive a lesson

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a set of their Stormy Monday pickups. They are in a Les Paul that is my "blues guitar." I like them a lot. If I didn't, they'd be yanked quickly.

Those sound pretty sweet in those vids, but how do they rock?