Bass Guitar

• Thread starter crossroadsnyc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Coronado

Reaction score
I've seem some dude who just plug directly into a mic preamp and call it a day.

Although, you should check out things like the Sansamp BDDI or VT Bass.

That's not a bad idea. I like that - so I can use it as a DI (bass to Sansamp, to Studio One), or I can run it into my bass amp as an OD/EQ? Now that is pretty cool! :yesway:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Most people who are serious about going direct get either an A Designs RED DI, or Jules Monique...

Other than that, it's mainly about having a good DI/pre-amp, so getting a Universal Audio pre-amp seems to be the best for going solid state. Seems like next in line is the Radial DI. A lot of guys are gigging w/ Sansamp...

I'm using an Ampeg SVP-Pro currently, but it's kind of old school. I'd probably get a Jules Monique or RED DI, if I was in the market right now to upgrade...

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
That's not a bad idea. I like that - so I can use it as a DI (bass to Sansamp, to Studio One), or I can run it into my bass amp as an OD/EQ? Now that is pretty cool! :yesway:

You can do both, actually.

I've seen dudes who plug a Sansamp into their interface and call it done. I've also seen dudes who plug Sansmps into amps to get more grind and grit. I believe this is what Eddie Jackson of Queensryche did for everything passed Empire and Pat Badget does for Extreme.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
For those of you that like to record, how do you record your bass? Being somewhat new to bass, I've been trying to find what tone sounds best with my recordings. Do you like to mic your cab, or do you run directly into a DAW/Pro Tools? I've read a lot of people who feel that with todays technology, why bother messing with a mic/cab for bass. I guess I still enjoy playing around with the old school approach and mic placement. Sometimes I will do one bass recording running directly into Studio One, and then another track running a mic to the bass amp.

I've also been playing around with just a little bit of SD-1, reverb, delay, and chorus. Sounds pretty cool. How bout' you guys? What's your bass sound? :yesway:

I just plug into the interface and run into ezmix through reaper. Lots of options on amp sims to use and I can bring the levels up to match guitar and drums fairly easily.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
For those of you that like to record, how do you record your bass? Do you like to mic your cab, or do you run directly into a DAW/Pro Tools?

a couple of different ways-

1) Marshall JMP-1 > pwr amp (or direct to DAW) > 4x12" & 1/15" cabs

2) direct to DAW (sometimes w/ this chain)-

AmpegBigDeepBass_zpsef7b5a26.jpg

sometimes I add Blue Cat stereo Chorus VST just for a bit of depth & harmonics

Ignite TPA-1 pwr amp sim using mostly KT-88 or 6L6 depening on genre.

different cab sims on occasion

there is usually a 2nd track w/ just a light distortion or fuzz VST pulled back about 50%. you don't really hear it in the mix but it just fills out the bass.

dreyn77

Reaction score
buy the bass with the fashion style you want to be associated with.

the G&L active+passive does everything you could ever want/ need in a bass guitar.

playing bass guitar will change how you think about playing music. It will also make you think playing the electric guitar is just like playing a toy. cause your fingers will get so much stronger than when you've never played bass guitar.

The les paul bass is living at about $3000 around here, so it's many times more expensive than all the other bass guitars.

it's just an old model with limited sound options for the player, BUT it does have that 'gibson' thing happening with it.

the G&L pickups put that gibson thing to shame.
just being able to adjust those G&L pickup pole pieces makes the G&L far superior.
those pickups allow you to adjust note clarity and tone. the note clarity is adjusted at the coil closest to the bridge and the tone adjustment is carried out on the pickup coil closest to the neck. double adjustable humbucker pickups.

dreyn77

Reaction score
don't worry about the small scale basses cause they were only made to get guitar players over to playing bass guitar.

the P bass has the pickup mounted in a good tone location. 1 sound can get very boring.
some bass players aren't very adventureous, they just play bass to fill in the sound of the song, so they don't really care about making more than 1 sound.

the jazz bass has 2 great sounds which are made to seem very different to each other and they happen to make sounds which aren't P bass sounds.
it's a marketing trick.

sure, there's signature basses out there but fender makes sure that every model guitar has a different electric sound. ;)

if you go outside the big 4 then you'll endup with all the typical HOT sounds from other brands. you know those hot sounds, they're just like the problems associated to the electric guitar.

SO, if you want everything WITH the traditional sound but a BIGGER sound version, then it's G&L all the way! ;)

Coronado

Reaction score
a couple of different ways-

1) Marshall JMP-1 > pwr amp (or direct to DAW) > 4x12" & 1/15" cabs

2) direct to DAW (sometimes w/ this chain)-

AmpegBigDeepBass_zpsef7b5a26.jpg

sometimes I add Blue Cat stereo Chorus VST just for a bit of depth & harmonics

Ignite TPA-1 pwr amp sim using mostly KT-88 or 6L6 depening on genre.

different cab sims on occasion

there is usually a 2nd track w/ just a light distortion or fuzz VST pulled back about 50%. you don't really hear it in the mix but it just fills out the bass.

Very interesting! So you run your bass into your JMP-1? Now that is cool. Wonder if I could run my bass into my JVM-1h, then use the line out to go into my DAW?

I have been digging the stereo chorus with bass! It does add a cool effect (I've added some reverb and delay through my Carbon Copy and Hall of Fame). Thanks Blues!

Kaptain_Krunch

Reaction score
I love playing bass, got three of 'em now. Latest one is a mid 80's Japanese made fretless Aria with an ebony board. This one is the easiest thing I have ever played to make me sound like ass