Be truthful with me

• Thread starter Markyp67
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I said "sounds to me...". Any luthier/tech would automaticaly think the same thing if that guitar did the same in other amps. Since the OP only has the one amp, we can't know for sure - I'll give you that, but it is as good a starting point to check that the guitar is properly grounded as anything else.

If Lindy Fralin isn't a good enough source, well....ok.

Last edited:

jtees4

Reaction score
I am an old guy, so I played/used lots of vintage Marshalls back in the day, my main gigging amp from '77-'81 was a 60's Marshall Major. I had a jtm 60 about 5 years ago, I thought it sounded really good. I did try the mod I found online, I think it was cutting out a resistor or diode....and it sounded much better. But I liked it either way. It was the size/weight I needed then, and it was great. And yes, they run hot, but generally the people who had issues had them the first couple of years...usually the older ones that survived were fine.

geddy

Reaction score
I said "sounds to me...". Any luthier/tech would automaticaly think the same thing if that guitar did the same in other amps. Since the OP only has the one amp, we can't know for sure - I'll give you that, but it is as good a starting point to check that the guitar is properly grounded as anything else.

If Lindy Fralin isn't a good enough source, well....ok.
Lindy Fralin and I are in agreement. The guitar grounds you, i wasn't clear and explicit. The further point I was making is that if the noise goes away there is a decent ground path. Doesn't mean there isn't a wiring issue though. i think we are violently agreeing

PelliX

Reaction score
Semantics or not, I think the Fralin site actually does a poor job of explaining this. In essense not incorrect, but the buzz/hum you hear from a guitar with the volume turned up is due to a lack of ground, *often*. If you can put the guitar down, walk away and the buzzing continues, it's not your body. When you in turn touch the strings/metal/hardware you're effectively grounding the guitar (and by extension, potentially more). Of course this can go both ways, but I've come across many more cases where the amp itself is poorly or not grounded due to whatever issue, than the other scenario. If the amp mains wiring (or other link in that chain) is not correctly earthed you may als get a hum, even if no guitar or lead is plugged in. This is (often) the same phenomenon, just more pronounced.

After all, assuming that you're not rubbing balloons in your hair or moonwalking on synthetic carpet you're not likely to have a large differential to ground anway. Also, those would be instantly discharged when touching the guitar hardware (and you'll feel it). It would then be a click (I think we've all experienced those) rather than a constant source of interference.

If I disconnect the central earth in the studio, a fair deal of kit starts to buzz - whether I'm in the room or not.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
I don't know anything about amps and without seeking advice I brought a jtm60, I have had it looked at by Marshall, since buying it I've only heard bad things, now considering it's around 25 years old it looks in pretty good shape, ie non of the yellowing or other signs of overheating, it does "buzz" but the buzzing seems to quieten down when I touch my guitar (strings, bridge etc) apart from that it seems to sound great, anyway back to my original point, have I made a boo boo?
Congrats on the new amp! Buyer's remorse is a common phenomenon, but I tend to agree with the posters who have opined that if you like the sound you are getting, the other issues are of lesser importance. Don't know much about these amps, so would definitely recommend following others' advice regarding the overheating issue. Other than that, just play, man, play and enjoy yourself!

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Lindy Fralin and I are in agreement. The guitar grounds you, i wasn't clear and explicit. The further point I was making is that if the noise goes away there is a decent ground path. Doesn't mean there isn't a wiring issue though. i think we are violently agreeing
Oh yeah? :cheers:

XTRXTR

Reaction score
The finger bone is connected to the ... string bone
The string bone is connected to the ... sleeve bone
The sleeve bone is connected to the ... chassis bone
If the PT bone decides to fry ... short bone
And the amp bone ain't gotta good ... ground bone
The fuse bone ain't gonna do ... shit bone
The ground bone is connected to the ... finger bone
The finger bone is connected to the ... dead bone

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several years ago I had a student who brought one over for his lesson. I had never seen a JTM before. In fact, I'm pretty sure I didn't know they existed before that.

Anyway, the damn thing has a beautiful voice. It purrs!

The kid still has that amp all these years later. He never put a fan in it, and it's never had a meltdown. Not the loudest 30 watter I ever heard, but it's a great studio amp.

dsn716

Reaction score
You’ve made 2 boo boos.
Boo boo #1: You posted your question here.
Boo boo #2: You posted your question here with the expectation of getting opinions from “the knowledgeable people within the Marshall community “.
Other than that, if you like how the amp sounds, then rock out with your cock out.