• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Beginner: which amp to build?

• Thread starter RJW
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RJW

Reaction score
I’ve never built an amp but I would like to try a kit one day soon. Would anyone mind helping me choose?

All I need is something decent but appropriate for a beginner. Something that hopefully won’t overwhelm me.

I’m thinking Marshall 18w circuit or maybe a Brownface Princeton circuit. Possibly blackface Deluxe Reverb. I’d kinda like to stay with a Marshall actually.

Is the Marshall 18w circuit a good starting point? If not, what do you recommend?

I like swapping out pickups. I’ve built a few pedals. I’m building a few cabs now. So I guess amp builds are the next step.

junk notes

Reaction score
I like swapping out pickups. I’ve built a few pedals. I’m building a few cabs now. So I guess amp builds are the next step.

cool! cannot wait to see and hear you amp builds!

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
A blackface Deluxe is not for a beginner. The 5e3 tweed Deluxe is definitely a good amp, but still a little challenging. Also, I’d suggest a Marshall 2204 50 watt clone before an 18 watter.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
A 5E3 circuit is a good kit for a beginner. AKA Fender Tweed Deluxe.

You'll end up with a killer amp.

:2c:

^^^^^^^ What he said, times ten! ^^^^^^^
One important aspect of a first time build is keeping it simple and straight forward enough to be a success and then add to that having an amp you'll actually love to use! The 5E3 Tweed Deluxe is the closest Fender ever came to making a "Baby Marshall!" Keep it bone stock (at least at first) and mod it later if you feel the need. I doubt you will feel the need. MojoTone provides some pretty good 5E3 kits, with good support.

If you really wanna have some fun, make your own turret board using the tag board as a template. It's only a few buck$. Turret board construction is far easier for troubleshooting, repairs and mods. I can't stress enough to embrace the concept of making ALL solder connections above the board, even the jumpers. There are very good reasons for this that would only become evident if there are problems. Also, make sure your soldering skills are up to snuff and understand that one of the key skills is keeping your iron/tip properly cleaned and maintained! A dirty tip makes a poor joint!

And don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for help, BEFORE doing something you're not sure about. Thare a lot of great builders around here who are always willing and eager to help.

While a 5F1 Champ may be even simpler and easier, it may not be an amp you'll use a lot. The 5E3 sounds great at any volume and is loud enough to keep up with a drummer, at least if he's not a Neanderthal using war clubs! Save the 18 watt or a JTM45 for your next build and there WILL be a next build, if you do a good job on the first one. :D

Be forewarned though, successful amp building is highly addictive! :naughty:

Welcome To Your New Jones!
Gene

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
A blackface Deluxe is not for a beginner. The 5e3 tweed Deluxe is definitely a good amp, but still a little challenging. Also, I’d suggest a Marshall 2204 50 watt clone before an 18 watter.
There aren't a whole lot of amps that have a more basic cicuit that would get much use.

What is your suggestion for something easier that will get regular use?

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
There aren't a whole lot of amps that have a more basic cicuit that would get much use.

What is your suggestion for something easier that will get regular use?
Depends what you mean by regular use. I play my 2204’s a lot. The tweed Champ is a good practice amp but not very loud. The Mojotone VibroChamp will give you an idea of what it takes to build a blackface amp. These smaller amps would get more use if you find the 5e3 too loud and would be better if you live in an apartment.

william vogel

Reaction score
The only problem with a 2204 first amp build is the gain and chance of oscillation. I’m with Neil, JTM45 or 1986 Bass 50 watt for first build. Both these amps are extraordinarily good sounding and provide a great clean to mean tone.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I’ve never built an amp but I would like to try a kit one day soon. Would anyone mind helping me choose?

All I need is something decent but appropriate for a beginner. Something that hopefully won’t overwhelm me.

I’m thinking Marshall 18w circuit or maybe a Brownface Princeton circuit. Possibly blackface Deluxe Reverb. I’d kinda like to stay with a Marshall actually.

Is the Marshall 18w circuit a good starting point? If not, what do you recommend?

If you never built an amp before, Tube Depot has a JTM45 build video that walks you through every step, Metropoulis has a similar document that explains with pictures that steps you through their builds. They are the only two I've come across with instructions of that detail. Study those resources and whatever kit you end up getting will be real easy to put together. My vote is 2204 or 1987 whichever style amp you dont already have. :yesway:

junk notes

Reaction score
The only problem with a 2204 first amp build is the gain and chance of oscillation. I’m with Neil, JTM45 or 1986 Bass 50 watt for first build. Both these amps are extraordinarily good sounding and provide a great clean to mean tone.
discouraging is not allowed lol!

myersbw

Reaction score
RJW, you did say you've built a few pedals, but didn't say the extent of your electronics background. I'm assuming minimal as anyone with schooling would know what will overwhelm and what wouldn't. Also, some pedals can be more complex than some tube amps in regard to number of components.

That said, reading is your friend. I like the 5e3 build suggestion and the mojotone kits have some nice layout images that work well...even alluding to wire dress (location) that works fine. Safety is the big reading topic to ensure you aren't 6 feet under before you finish your build. That's the most important fact to grasp. Personally, I limit myself to 3-4 hours max on any build or troubleshooting venture to make sure my mind is sharp inside these beasts.

Equipment! Make sure your meter leads are in top shape...i.e. no frays or taped leads. What works for 9V circuits isn't always safe for 400-700V circuits. Invest in a simple LCR meter and test every component you put in before and after soldering. This insures you didn't get an improperly labeled component (it's happened to me on more than one occasion!). And, with the age of some components you get...oxidation may already be excessive on the leads. I keep an Exacto knife on the bench and use it to lightly/quickly scrape leads before I install it. That makes for a great solder joint.

Overall, it's little things like the above that make my amp building experiences really fun. Measuring components...scraping leads, etc., may seem like more extra time, but when you fire it up the first time and it just works??? Totally worth the extras and definitely saves the headaches of "ok, what's wrong?" moments when it's failing in some area.

As for the overwhelming aspect you mentioned...focus on getting the safety elements learned and prepare to really take your time and think through each step and you'll be fine. Good luck!!!

Brad

Dblgun

Reaction score
@RJW, You didn't mention what kind of music/tone you're into which would help with providing a suggestion. The all inclusive kits available provide an opportunity to get into building an amp with a great likelyhood of success. I would say preparation and patience will provide the bes results. This forum is a great place to find the answers to any questions that arise. Just don't get in a hurry, which can be hard to do once you get started!

I agree that a JTM45 is a great amp and the kit from Tube Depot looks very well put together. The Brownface Princeton would also be a great project and is probably a bit more basic in reality. The options for a JTM45 kit are far greater than the Fender circuit so keep that in mind. Whatever you decide on you can count on getting all the help you need here, whether you want it or not!

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
It's my considered opinion that any/all guitarists should get the opportunity to live with a 5E3 for a while, at some point in their playing career! They are truly unique amps and help point out the subtleties of tone available from a very simple circuit, even with all it's little warts, crooked teeth and stray hairs. And it should be noted that with such a simple circuit, it takes very little modification to make it no longer a 5E3! Screen resistors on the power tubes and "backup" diodes in the HT section (just before the rectifier) are good ideas though, for safety of the components!

On the other hand, the JTM45 is also a great, classic amp, though a bit more (only really a little) ambitious and only you know what level your skills are at!

Simply Tweedin'
Gene

Dblgun

Reaction score
It's my considered opinion that any/all guitarists should get the opportunity to live with a 5E3 for a while, at some point in their playing career! They are truly unique amps and help point out the subtleties of tone available from a very simple circuit, even with all it's little warts, crooked teeth and stray hairs. And it should be noted that with such a simple circuit, it takes very little modification to make it no longer a 5E3! Screen resistors on the power tubes and "backup" diodes in the HT section (just before the rectifier) are good ideas though, for safety of the components!

I too think everyone should experience a Tweed Deluxe, and sooner rather than later!

Last edited:

Max Gahne

Reaction score
Six years ago I built my first amp from Tube Depot's 1974X kit - 18 watter. With a post phase inverter master volume it has a lot of tones. Easy to build. I recommend it. But don't be fooled when they say it just takes a few hours in the evenings. You'll probably spend a solid month building one. Since then I've built a lot of others but still have the 1974X.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
^^^^^^^ What he said, times ten! ^^^^^^^
One important aspect of a first time build is keeping it simple and straight forward enough to be a success and then add to that having an amp you'll actually love to use! The 5E3 Tweed Deluxe is the closest Fender ever came to making a "Baby Marshall!" Keep it bone stock (at least at first) and mod it later if you feel the need. I doubt you will feel the need. MojoTone provides some pretty good 5E3 kits, with good support.

If you really wanna have some fun, make your own turret board using the tag board as a template. It's only a few buck$. Turret board construction is far easier for troubleshooting, repairs and mods. I can't stress enough to embrace the concept of making ALL solder connections above the board, even the jumpers. There are very good reasons for this that would only become evident if there are problems. Also, make sure your soldering skills are up to snuff and understand that one of the key skills is keeping your iron/tip properly cleaned and maintained! A dirty tip makes a poor joint!

And don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for help, BEFORE doing something you're not sure about. Thare a lot of great builders around here who are always willing and eager to help.

While a 5F1 Champ may be even simpler and easier, it may not be an amp you'll use a lot. The 5E3 sounds great at any volume and is loud enough to keep up with a drummer, at least if he's not a Neanderthal using war clubs! Save the 18 watt or a JTM45 for your next build and there WILL be a next build, if you do a good job on the first one. :D

Be forewarned though, successful amp building is highly addictive! :naughty:

Welcome To Your New Jones!
Gene
Pretty sure the Fender 5E3 circuit predates Marshall and Jim Marshall's designs borrowed heavily from the Fender Bassman (which postdates the Tweed Deluxe) and was known as the JTM45.

Considering that it struck me weird to refer to a Tweed Deluxe as "the closest Fender ever came to making a "Baby Marshall!""

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Love a cranked 5E3. I even like a not so cranked 5E3. Simple, flawed, and fantastic.