Best Amplifier for an Indie Rock sound?

• Thread starter Volcom1720
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Volcom1720

Reaction score
What Marshall amplifier do you guys recommend for a sound that most indie bands make. I'm looking to spend under $1000 AUD and would prefer if it was a combo.

At the moment I've got an boss sd-1 and I'm looking into a guitar to buy. Perhaps an Epi Sg.

A sound like the Arctic Monkeys and Franz Ferdinand. Another good example would be The Strokes

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijk4j-r7qPA&ob=av2e]Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK7egZaT3hs&ob=av2e]Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor (2005) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l09H-3zzgA&ob=av3e]The Strokes - Under Cover Of Darkness - YouTube[/ame]

The kooks is also a good example
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh_-IoHD6oM&ob=av2e]The Kooks - Always Where I Need To Be - YouTube[/ame]

I hope you guys can help. Thanks :-D

Last edited:

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
U know what, i reckon a HAZE 40 might be up your alley mate..
I have a JVM205 (that would be great) combo that im thinking of selling but it would be over $1000 AUD..

Im in Sydney BTW where are you located ??

Volcom1720

Reaction score
U know what, i reckon a HAZE 40 might be up your alley mate..
I have a JVM205 (that would be great) combo that im thinking of selling but it would be over $1000 AUD..

Im in Sydney BTW where are you located ??

Down in Melbourne!

Volcom1720

Reaction score
Are Haze 40's loud enough to gig? And they are tube aren't they?

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
for Marshall the 6100,DSL's,TSL's and JVM's are te ticket imo. You may want ot get a triamp MK1 though. That amp will do it all REALLY well imo.

bulldozer1984

VIP Member
Reaction score
for Marshall the 6100,DSL's,TSL's and JVM's are te ticket imo. You may want ot get a triamp MK1 though. That amp will do it all REALLY well imo.

Yeh i would suggest any of those amps first, but he is in Australia and wants to spend under $1000.. None of those are available here for under $1000

bulldozer1984

VIP Member
Reaction score
Are Haze 40's loud enough to gig? And they are tube aren't they?

Yes they are all tube and Frankie (the frontman of a band on here) uses one for his smaller pub gigs.. U could PM him..

See the biggest problem here is your budget.. You might be lucky enough to find a UK made Marshall on the 2nd hand market but i look around Ebay all the time and they dont come up cheap..

My JVM combo cost me 2 grand brand new..

Volcom1720

Reaction score
Thanks for the Haze 40 recommendation, I'll definetely look into it.
Anyone else got any other recommendations or other? :hippie:

Furies

Reaction score
LOL you like the same bands and songs I do!!!!

I use a 4100 for that stuff, but my distorted sound tends to be more thrashy/grungy/metal-icky than what you hear on those cuts.

The good thing about the 4100, aside from low cost, is the flexibility of the channel switching. Running a TS-9 on the clean channel makes for a nice crunch tone.

hbach

Reaction score
The Haze has some nice vintage sounds and it is plenty loud.
As I mentioned on your guitar query I think a VOX has a nice jangle that goes really nice for that type of music, the Haze might be a bit dark. How much is an AC15 in Oz?
Did you choose a guitar already?

Cheers to Melbourne, the misses is from there!