Best boost pedal for Marshall JVM?? JCM800? DSL??

• Thread starter doomsdaymachine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

billdncn

Reaction score
Keeley modded SD-1 works pretty well. Volume up to suit, none to very little gain and I keep the tone low around 9:00-10:30

axe arsenal

Reaction score
So you're putting a boost pedal in front of the JVM?
How does this effect your clean channel?
My experiences say that it will be a lot less "cleaner" than you would want it to be ..

safc78

Reaction score
I got a 1981 JCM800 2204,........

Boss SD-1 is my favourite... Doesn't seem to change the tone/sound of my amp, just makes it hotter and brings in the harmonics easier

I also like the T-Rex Tonebug Overdrive (cheap and very transparent and smooth)

ts-808 is also great, a good mid boost to make you stand out in a band situation

Crowther Hotcake is good for a grittier sound without getting into fuzz territory

doomsdaymachine

Reaction score
So you're putting a boost pedal in front of the JVM?
How does this effect your clean channel?
My experiences say that it will be a lot less "cleaner" than you would want it to be ..

Obviously, the boost is in front of the OD channels, to tighten it up, and make it a lttle more aggressive. It's not to add gain, by any means. As a matter of fact, I run the gain at 0, and run the level higher.

Boosting an overdriven amp has been a trick of the pro's for years. I'm really shocked that so many newbs on here don't realize this, or it's benefits?? :wtf: (Not directed at you, personally).

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
we're aware that most people boost an already overdriven marshall, but the JVM doesn't need it at all imo... when i sold the DSL all the OD-pedals followed soon after :)

Beccaio

Reaction score
RAT in front of he JCM800...can't find a better sound...but have been trying since 1985. Other boxes seem to have a lot of noise.

axe arsenal

Reaction score
Obviously, the boost is in front of the OD channels, to tighten it up, and make it a lttle more aggressive. It's not to add gain, by any means. As a matter of fact, I run the gain at 0, and run the level higher.

Boosting an overdriven amp has been a trick of the pro's for years. I'm really shocked that so many newbs on here don't realize this, or it's benefits?? :wtf: (Not directed at you, personally).
I know that the boost is for the OD channels, but when you select your clean channel, your boost pedal is still on I guess ? I tried it in the past with my TSL and found that the clean channel had an edge, a bit hairy, not totally clean...
You could always use two amps, like I do often.

1Adam12

Reaction score
Just because I can not believe no one has mentioned it. I say the Way Huge Green Rhino MKII, is one hell of a killer pedal. It does not color your tone, true bypass, and the low frequency boost pot rules all!!!

:rock::headbanger::rock::headbanger:

spacerocker

Reaction score

It's a good trick with a JCM800 (although it doesn't really boost levels much for lead), but totally unnecessary with an amp like the JVM410.

bvoris

Reaction score
I'm currently using an MXR Wylde OD in front of my JVM, but might look for something a bit "fatter" sounding, and maybe a bit quieter. I've used this OD for years, and found it worked best with my old DSL's as well, yielding a nice, aggressive tone. But, again, it's noisey, and maybe it's time to try something new.. Tried TS9, OCD, (but not with a Marshall), SD-1, and Hardwire CM-2.. Always come back to the Wylde OD.

So, what's boosting your Marshall into meaty, high-gain Marshall sonic bliss!!?? :headbanger:
Early ZW-44 ODs (REV 1 green board) are pretty noisy compared to later ZW-44 OD (REV 2 red boards). They do color your tone a bit. If your looking for just a boost SD-1 is decent or TS-9 or TS-808. Depends on the sound your going for. I have a TS-9 and use it on my 2203 makes a great classic rock tone. SD-1 makes a pretty decent classic rock tone but little more of a metal/hard rock tone on my amp.

If you still like the ZW-44 OD try finding a different one with a red board. They are significantly less noisy than the SD-1 (which is what the ZW-44 was modeled after) and the original ZW-44 green board. If you have a noisy red board then there is probably something wrong with it or your picking up something from your pups. Could also be your pups too. If your running EMGs in an epi its going to sound thinner than in a Gibson. If you want to tighten up the sound you can make it brighter with EMG-Xs. 81/85 combo screams but its not great for classic rock they have a warmer sound to begin with but its not sterile. More clarity and definition.

Whats the setting your using on your amp/pedal? What guitar and pups? What sound are you going for?

bvoris

Reaction score
An hour and a half ago I would have said a Tubescreamer. After just jamming for an hour with my new OCD i just bought, I say that now. Wow, what a good OD.

I have heard a lot of people love these or bash the shit out of them. I am waiting to find one on CL or ebay at a reasonable price to test out.

Rock that shit!

Fe911

Reaction score
I've found that every amp likes different dirt pedals. I like playing with none at all, but to be realistic, the volume necessary on a four holer is way too much.
For my jtm 45, I really like the full drive 2 MOSFET. I think it's the most tweak able dirt pedal I've ever played with, but not high gain, just hard rock. With my 2104, it's tougher, the best is still preamp gain, sometimes sd-1. It colors a little, but I can live with it.
And when playing SRV: strat, ts-9, 1959, 1960 with greenbacks! Perfect tone.

This list is making me think that I need to try some more dirt pedals.....

LukeRocks

Reaction score
A few people don't seem to get boost pedals on here. The JVM is a monster with more gain than anyone needs, hell it can't handle full gain at any volume without a decent noise gate. I tend to find having the gain between 4 and 6 with my eq at 666 and resonance and presence tuned to the room and cab I end up with works well.

So then its just about picking the preamp you want to run through, they alll have different eqs and gain levels so each one has a voice, you can hear it very well at those eq settings.

Heres where boost pedals come in. You pair them to what you want the amp to do with that signal again they all have voices. If you love the natural sound of the amp something clean like an ocd is best, they are low noise. For tightening the bass on the orange or red modes an SD-1 is a great choice and for nice smooth leads or tech rock rhythms where you might want a bit more attack maxon/ibanez tube screamers are probably where you are looking. Thats just an overview on my experience of the 3 most popular ODs for boosting.

My trick to setting it up is to keep the gain low then find the sweet spot on the pedals tone the push the gain to thicken and compress the signal. Each pedal will have a different sweet spot depending on the pre amp you pick. My friend plays a little cleaner than me and prefers a crunch on the amp and a higher gain on the tubescreamer. His tone is really nice but you have to remember a lot of that comes from the player not the rig.

So yeah JVMs have loadsa gain but by carefully selecting your boost pedal you can do different things to the tone and increase the compression and sustain without cranking the drive on the amp.

My 2 cents. Hope it helps someone

Dmann

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents.

Certain tones can only be gotten with a boost slamming the preamp. No amp has this sound/tone on its own. It's not about volume or amount of distortion or oscillation.

Latest posts