Best Distortion Pedal Over a Marshall Plexi

• Thread starter jasonmaska
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jasonmaska

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a distortion or overdrive pedal that can work well with a Marshall Plexi head. I'm looking to get a crunch to play both lead and rhythm parts. I need my low lows and my high highs to stay with my tone.

Let me know if you have any suggestions...or if this even makes sense.

Marival

Reaction score
I'd like to suggest the Hardwire CM-2.

Very transparent and versatile. It also gives you control over the highs and lows.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
"best" is a relative term.
Boss sd-1
MXR M77 c.b.a.o.d. overdrive or MXR Distrotion+ if you want that 70's early 80's sound.now it's made by Whirlwind & called the gold box.
Ibanez ts-9 or ts-808
Carl Martin Plexidrive.

there's plenty more out there.

Rodney

Reaction score
I'll second that on the Hardwire CM2. Awesome tone through my 1959SLP. And I just picked up the Hardwire SC2 Distortion pedal today. Dam these pedals are good

Petri358

Reaction score
MXR Distortion+, MXR Micro Amp and SD:s Pickup Booster works for me.
I'm not suggesting anything though.
You must just try, try, try....

stilllifer

Reaction score
Carl Martin Plexitone... incredible pedal and best one in front of ANY amp I have tried it with!!!! Check this...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng4peS3MjrY]Carl Martin Plexitone demo, by Pete Thorn/ProGearDemos - YouTube[/ame]

Cheers!

Geoff

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
For a 'distortion' pedal, this one ...

wampler_pinnacle_distortion_2_zpsf3d8395f.jpg

brandoz28

Reaction score
Maxon SD9 Sonic Distortion. Makes my plexi clone really happy.

Bigbazz

Reaction score
Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive, push the front end into it's own sound. The best bit about the pedal is that it's cheap as chips, a great sounding OD pedal. It's not a distortion though, I wouldn't rely on it to create the sound, just pushing the front end like a tubescreamer.

Quasar-Kid

Reaction score
The Carl Martin works great in front of my Fender stuff...
It's completely unnecessary in front of my Marshall Heads

dptone5

Reaction score
SD1 or Fulltone Fulldrive II Mosfet - Both very transparent and work great in front of a Marshall.

DP

jasonmaska

Reaction score
Thanks for the help so far. I currently use a visual sound Route 66 overdrive and compression. It sounds great but it has a sound that almost sounds compressed even when I use just the overdrive. Something about it just seems to muffle the tone a bit. I want to be sure I keep the tone of the plexi and just throw some crunch over it, I don't need a huge amount of gain.

tm0099

Reaction score
I've tried a few SD-1's (stock and modded) an MXR sparkle, a ts-9, and few others over the years that i have forgotten and the one i won't part with is my OFA SD-1. I use it out front of my silver jubilee and 2204 and use it live all the time. All the others have been put into storage.
I can't comment on fulltones, carl martins, bad monkeys but right now the OFA SD-1 has totally satisfied me and i ain't even looking elsewhere.
Just my 2c's , my opinion.

rads

Reaction score