Plexi boost!

• Thread starter FrostyTheSnake
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

svinyard

Reaction score
I hear people say that often on this forum with the SV20H. Honestly I have never had the shrieking feedback thing.

It could think it’s due to proximity of amp to guitar or pickups. With my Les Paul Standard (22’ stock) I have never experienced any shrieking feedback. But you’re not the first at all to experience it. Strange one.
It's just a Plexi cranked up and the guitar in the same room I think.

I don't get it at lower volumes but when it's cranked I'll get some feedback (the amp is playing at 110dB loud). My office/studio is small. If I turn my guitar volume all the way down it'll go away too.

Derek S

Reaction score
I friggin' LOVED the Timmy pedal into the Plexi channel of my Friedman! Looking back - that may have been the pinnacle of my tone chasing but like others, I never stop tinkering lol.

svinyard

Reaction score
How did you setup the knobs on your Timmy? It's a cool pedal, got a lot of bite to the gain
I friggin' LOVED the Timmy pedal into the Plexi channel of my Friedman! Looking back - that may have been the pinnacle of my tone chasing but like others, I never stop tinkering lol.

Derek S

Reaction score
How did you setup the knobs on your Timmy? It's a cool pedal, got a lot of bite to the gain

Yes it does! It adds some meanness. I had to actually read my replies and clip description below to see the settings lol and naturally I listed every detail BUT the Timmy settings. I'll never remember where the bass and treble were but I do recall the level being 3/4 full and the gain between 10-11:00 (again, to add some nastiness, so essentially I was NOT using it merely as a pure clean boost).

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Just a follow up to my earlier post about the Boss BD-2 and BP-1. Had a chance today to really crank the SC20H through a 2x12 and, my oh my! There’s the tone I’ve been searching for since age 12! Lovely gutsy distortion just as Jim Marshall meant it to be. Driving it with the BD provides amazing saturation, almost like Boston. Boosting with the BP is equally rewarding, albeit in a different way. And using the two together gets a monster tone approaching metal. Just love it all!

FrostyTheSnake

Reaction score
Just a follow up to my earlier post about the Boss BD-2 and BP-1. Had a chance today to really crank the SC20H through a 2x12 and, my oh my! There’s the tone I’ve been searching for since age 12! Lovely gutsy distortion just as Jim Marshall meant it to be. Driving it with the BD provides amazing saturation, almost like Boston. Boosting with the BP is equally rewarding, albeit in a different way. And using the two together gets a monster tone approaching metal. Just love it all!
As a side now this is why I always say MV Marshall’s are misleading. They sound terrible quiet even though master volume should negate that. Turn them up and holy moly we are cooking with gas!

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
I have an SD-1 and a TC BLD. They are some of the best “must haves…” for Master Volume Marshalls… not so much for NMV plexis.

But that begs the question whether you are using the amp “properly” or not. What I refer to as “properly” means you are cranking the volume and pushing the power tubes as intended with these amps (which requires attenuation or playing into a DI/DAW for most of us). The other alternative is pretending it’s a Fender, wussing TF out on volume, keeping it at a minimum and using some sort of pedal to simulate the dirt. That would be the “Ketchup on well-done Filet” approach. 🤮 ETA: I see you have a Captor so use the rest you see fit.

If you are doing it properly, I’d skip the “Marshall-in-a-Box” pedals. They sound great. They sound like Marshalls. You already have a fucking Marshall. The whole thing about the Plexi circuit is how great it sounds (Filet). MOST do NOT want some pedal that covers what makes it so great (Ketchup). The key here is taking the amp’s natural tone and enhancing it organically.

That’s about 3 (mostly) overlapping categories IME these days: EQ, Clean boost/Transparent OD, or Hot Mods. EQ is necessary regardless, just to have on hand. You can do tons with them including simulating clean boosts etc. But if they were that perfect, far fewer dirt pedals would be on the market. My advice is put the EQ in the loop and you have a solo boost with boost/cut controls to taste.

Transparent OD/Clean boosts are there to add nothing but what the amp already sounds like… only with more gain. Some wore better on certain amps than others. This is the easy, more affordable way to achieve what you want (if using the amp properly).

Hot Mods are the best way you can get 100% amp tone with full bore “Modded Marshall” gain. They use 12AX/U/T preamp tubes. It literally adds an extra tube gain stage and if you buy a Mr. Scary unit, you can more or less dial it back completely to original tone. Best of all, they play well with other pedals (assuming your amp does, and IME NMV Marshalls are somewhat finicky). New they are close to $300 and used in the $200s which is still competitive with expensive ODs.

Recommendation #1 is good attenuation (if not hardwired exclusively into your DAW). Looks like that’s in place

Recommendation #2 is if you want a pedal instead of a Hot Mods Mr Scary, “get both pedals.” You should have an EQ anyway and they are at all price-points, and you should get the “right” OD/boost (first). The TC is $300-$500 used and I doubt you are going there. OCDs are not all the same. 1.7s suck dick for Marshalls (probably great for Fenders) the 2.01 and Ge are more usable for a Plexi, but I would go with a Tim, Timmy, or Klone in that order. Tim/mys were transparent ODs made for the Marshall circuit in particular.

The Tim has a ton of bells and whistles, including Pedal FX Loop and solo boost and the V3 is in the $200s now. New Timmys are straight-forward small box units with less frills sold for the mid-$100s to $200s, but MXR also made a mini Timmy for like $120 new and probably a $70-90 pedal used. You are on your own with the best klone pedal and I don’t know about the others.
This is excellent advice. I hadn’t really pushed my SC20H but upon doing so it sounded glorious! No pedals needed, as you said. Thanks!

FrostyTheSnake

Reaction score
Playing yesterday I really can’t get over the harmonics and dynamics of the Plexi. Just unreal if you ask me. I think I have some great ideas from this thread for boosts. Either way the classic SD1 really does wonders for my ears so far.

Neptical

Reaction score
Really? how are you setting it up and what's the pedal settings you've got on those? If start cranking the outputs on OD's....my 20w starts to get REAL sensitive to feedback and touch and everything else lol. Are you using a noise gate at all? Do you have a recording?

Solarburn on here has a video of a cranked 100w that is he's shreeeeeddding...and it sounds awesome.

The Boss SD-1 is clean boosting the RAT ( Dist 11-12o'clock ...Filter 1 o'clock... Volume to taste)

My Plexi is also PPIMV so a lot more control on the volume.

I do have gate but I don't need to use it with the amp.

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
These are my two go-to OD pedals primarily used with my Marshall’s.

The Dude is medium to higher gain pedal which is somewhat transparent and does not cut bass.

The Lightspeed is very transparent and has low to medium gain.

My search for the ultimate OD pedal pretty much ended after buying these two pedals.

IMG_2448.jpegIMG_9368.jpeg

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love The Dude mentioned above. I have two.

I have a Marshall Guv'nor pedal. It's, of course, and fantastic pedal. But it's so damn big. A fantastic Guv'nor clone is the Sparkling Blue. I have one and it's fantastic, in a normal size box.

blue.jpeg

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope we get a review. I'm also tempted, particularly at that price.
I can hear why Billy likes it for his strat. Warmer, articulate, and rich sounding. Good layering for single coils.

Its a great boost. Creamier SD-1. Smoother bite. Does not shelve bass like the SD-1 does. For $30? Easy yes. Cause it sounds good. Gain knob starts about noon. Definitely adjusting different than my other pedals regarding the mix of its gain/volume.

Not much risk or downside to this purchase. Its good. Anudder flavor added.

BlueX

Reaction score
I can hear why Billy likes it for his strat. Warmer, articulate, and rich sounding. Good layering for single coils.

Its a great boost. Creamier SD-1. Smoother bite. Does not shelve bass like the SD-1 does. For $30? Easy yes. Cause it sounds good. Gain knob starts about noon. Definitely adjusting different than my other pedals regarding the mix of its gain/volume.

Not much risk or downside to this purchase. Its good. Anudder flavor added.
Agree, I love this singing tone!

I uploaded the video to YT to make it easier to watch

What pup's in that Strat?

FrostyTheSnake

Reaction score
Went back to an early 2000’s TS9 I’ve had sitting in a draw. I’m surprised it doesn’t really have the massive mid hump and low end cut of your average TS9. No idea why. Sounds good to my ears!

_albumtemp.jpeg