Best Distortion Pedal Over a Marshall Plexi

• Thread starter jasonmaska
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nebulozny

Reaction score
I think its even more sad when this companies charge you like 200$ for a fuckin distortion pedal, yeah it sounds great but common, it's not like patented stuff or something, few pieces of electronic components in a metal box which is by no means high end electronic hardware.

Oh yeah they put a ''boutique'' in front of the name so it makes it really expensive and a true bypass for even more overpricing.

I say....200$ for Suhr Riot...fuck that.

phuzaxeman

Reaction score
cmat mods brownie....I have 2. under 100 bucks. hands down one of the best distortion pedals out there. this thing has great tone with many variations with only 3 knobs at a great price. check out toward the end of the video the different settings and tone Harry was getting. great stuff.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-0XtI2X33I"]CMAT Mods - Brownie demo by Harry Maes - YouTube[/ame]

sinner 13

Reaction score
I looked for attenuators online...some go for $500-$800. Not really in the price range, had to spend big bucks just to get this plexi.

You're not looking in the right places.....

mass200_f.jpg

Weber Mass 200

$215 USD
:shred:

Best piece of outboard gear I have ever bought.

AND it doesn't take up much space on top of a plexi....

temporary-30.jpg

keennay

Reaction score
Here are the distortion pedals I've owned with my JMP 2203:

• MXR Distortion + (Vintage 70's)
  • MXR Distortion + (Newer)
  • MXR Badass '78
  • MXR Prime Distortion
  • Boss SD-1

Now, I only use an MXR Badas Distortion (not the same as the Badass '78 btw). Apparently it's 100% analog, not that it was a deciding factor upon purchase, but it sounds damn good!

sinner 13

Reaction score
Oh and on the floor I run and Xotics AC boost followed by and EHX lpb-1.
Sometimes I'll throw my 87 Rat in the mix...:naughty:

medicjg

Reaction score

The US dream is a damn good sounding Marshall in a box. I used to run one in front of a deluxe reverb reissue and it really did a nice impersonation of a 2210. I have yet to own an xotic booster but it is certainly on my list. Actually I think that im gonna pick up the SP compressor. I have found to my ears using single coil pick ups a little bit of compression seems to really make them stand out. I love vintage style guitars but never could get them to sound as good after I got a couple of guitars with high output humbuckers. Right now im using a boss compressor but it gets a bit noisy. Looking forward to getting some xotic pedals in the fold.

medicjg

Reaction score
I posted this in a different thread. If your looking for an extremely versatile overdrive I highly recommend the Sick as overdrive. Also listening to DPs recent clips has me wanting a Full Drive 2 as well.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-73H05BPaI]Bondi Effects SICK AS OVERDRIVE pedal demo with dirty Marshall amp & Les Paul - YouTube[/ame]

Jezclayton

Reaction score
Bit late to the party but wth.

My current pedal of choice for running in front of the Marshall is the Gearmanndude Luther Drive (yet another TS clone). Check it out on YouTube. I like to drive the power valves fairly hard so use the low input on the combo with the Luther Drive in front. This way I get a great sound at controllable volumes (using the volume control on the LD).

Derek S

Reaction score
Plexi's make a GREAT platform for dirt pedals if you can't crank the amp or just need/want more gain without modding them, goes without saying. I'd add another vote for the Bogner Red pedal if it's high gain you're after. I recently tracked a whole tune with the Red into a Plexi (set big, clean and loud) and am tickled with the results...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P-yjaBbNpg&noredirect=1]Sonic Hottie by Derek Schils - YouTube[/ame]

I've also heard some great things about the Carl Martin PlexiTone pedal but have never been able to sample one in person.

Amp360

Reaction score
Marshalls can be too buzzy. This one can give you the Robben Ford Chirp:

2012-09-30181702.jpg

This one is also pretty sweet:

2012-09-30181445.jpg

66 galaxie

VIP Member
Reaction score
Plexi's make a GREAT platform for dirt pedals if you can't crank the amp or just need/want more gain without modding them, goes without saying. I'd add another vote for the Bogner Red pedal if it's high gain you're after. I recently tracked a whole tune with the Red into a Plexi (set big, clean and loud) and am tickled with the results...

Sonic Hottie by Derek Schils - YouTube

I've also heard some great things about the Carl Martin PlexiTone pedal but have never been able to sample one in person.

Nice playing on that :yesway:

FennRx

Reaction score
Bad Monkey.

Cheap and effective.

I use one over my YJM.

wakjob

Reaction score
I hope to be able to tell you guys what a Bogner blue pedal does with 1959 this weekend.

Hope it works out for ya.

I felt that it took over the sound too much. Not nearly as transparent as my BB preamp.

Depends on what you're going for I guess.:hmm: