Best electrolytics for servicing a '79 2104?

• Thread starter BlueX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LyseFar

Reaction score
Instant death I believe. No direct witnesses, but others have heard the bang!

(I think it was @neikeel who experienced infant mortality with them...)
Well that is news to me. Never had any problems with them. I have them in 4 of my heads … in my Super Lead I have Phillips - also no problems there. I am also using Spragues in an ongoing 2204 build.
I think the Spragues are made by Vishay and should (on paper) be a quality product.
Could these experiences be a bad batch/wrong long storage maybe? Shelf life should be max two years(maybe a bit more) and they should be kept in max 75% air humidity …also no extreme temperatures.

Regarding the filter caps I also uses F+T

Last edited:

BlueX

Reaction score
This question brought more info than expected. Thanks to all that contribute!

The failures discussed could be occasional or systematic, but difficult to judge for me at least. However, I usually don't discard observations done by those who have experience.

Banzai has Vishay BC 10uF/100V. Might be sufficient for bias circuit. Valvestorm has BC 10uF/160V, but it's expensive to order just a couple of caps from US to EU.

neikeel

Reaction score
I’d like to say it is because of the nice metallic blue colour but not quite
I had a couple of bias caps 10uF 160v in different builds be DOA a few years ago and a 16uF preamp can. Chased my tail for ages not imagining that any might be an issue. Never had a problem with BCs/Phillips. I use 200v as they are correct size in vintage restos.
I’m sure Sprague sorted themselves out, but I have choices and exercise that choice, YMMV. Same with JJ filter caps.

BlueX

Reaction score
I’d like to say it is because of the nice metallic blue colour but not quite
I had a couple of bias caps 10uF 160v in different builds be DOA a few years ago and a 16uF preamp can. Chased my tail for ages not imagining that any might be an issue. Never had a problem with BCs/Phillips. I use 200v as they are correct size in vintage restos.
I’m sure Sprague sorted themselves out, but I have choices and exercise that choice, YMMV. Same with JJ filter caps.
Where do you get the 200V BC/Phillips? I haven't found any, yet.

neikeel

Reaction score
Look on fleabay
Guy in Netherlands, one in Poland, couple in Turkey

playloud

Reaction score
Where do you get the 200V BC/Phillips? I haven't found any, yet.

Looks to me that the spec that @neikeel is referring to is "200V at 125 degrees, 250V at 85"? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203199131011

I think the contemporary (Vishay BC) version is MAL204213109E3. Dimensions are 30x10mm.

Then there's this 118AHT version (discontinued?) to complicate matters: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314625250482

I can see why new amp designers tend to stay away from axial caps!

Beryllium-9

Reaction score
My '72 JMP50 has original Daly caps. It is voiced to accommodate my attack so I am afraid to touch it. My bestie for sure! I noticed a little drifting at certain instances and the filter caps crossed or tubes my mind. Replacing the filter caps would change the character of the amp so I was dreading that being the issue. I got lucky when I tested the bias caps and discovered that one was going so I replaced both with the phillips that playloud mentioned. Amp went from sounding killer to super killer! Drifting gone.

dtier

Reaction score
FWIW, I never install any new capacitors without leakage testing them at their rated voltage. I use a Heathkit C-3 condenser checker at present. It would be nice if you could buy them pre-tested as with tubes. You of course will know if they fail spectacularly in the amp but not necessarily if they are off spec.

I also lift cap grounds and test all caps in any older amp that I service this way. I am interested if anyone knows any additional testing methods.

Last edited:

BlueX

Reaction score
Heathkit C-3 condenser checker
Googling this takes me to radio museum, and YT video with a DIY kit. The kit could be worth looking in to. Doubt I will run into a working Heathkit C-3 soon.

Agree that there should be some method to test caps used for high voltage applications (unless ESR is sufficient). Appreciate all input here!

Edit: https://www.antiquewireless.org/homepage/awa-capacitor-dc-leakage-tester-project/

Last edited:

Latest posts