BEST EVER EVH Brown Sound AmpROCKSTAH MOD 5 Handbuilt Clone Amp-JCM2203-Plexi-PLEXI

• Thread starter martin7844
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sgstratdude

Reaction score
Re: BEST EVER EVH Brown Sound AmpROCKSTAH MOD 5 Handbuilt Clone Amp-JCM2203-Plexi-PLE

No Problemo. Also since your on a Roll -Ban All Free Speech, Newspapers, Books, Magazines, Essays, Schools, and supress the ability of citizens of the Free World to express an opinion.Let's return to the DARK AGES! Just remember I own and play this amp and rent it out in my studio for $250.00 per day, for recording at LOW Volume. Cheers, BRO!

And what studio is this? Link or it doesn't exist. If local put me down for 2 days.

Tone Slinger

Reaction score
Re: BEST EVER EVH Brown Sound AmpROCKSTAH MOD 5 Handbuilt Clone Amp-JCM2203-Plexi-PLE

Leotis, lets hear some more. That tone is frickin amazing :yesway:

Tone Slinger

Reaction score

Leotis, lets hear some more. That tone is frickin amazing :yesway:

Man, I'm gonna have to take back this statement. Please DON'T post anymore clips......I'm just too jealous of that amp. The tone is so ****in' brown its ridiculous :hbang:

keennay

Reaction score

Excellent build quality to be honest, although I'm not 100% sure who/how they're done, I do know that Nik @ Ceriatone built mine and he has a great rep as a builder and then to follow that, my particular Chupa was modded/tweaked by Cameron (reluctantly lol as he and many others feel the chupa is a Cameron clone but whaterver, I don't concern myself with that s#!t, just tone), in fact, I call my amp the "Chewpacameron". :lol:

Here's a shot of mine so you can judge for yourself on the build..

Also, I kinda got into all this VH tone chasing stuff week lol so I tightened up my earlier clip idea and made a quick and nasty vid to share...

Chupa VH Tone

Yeah.... that's a pretty sick tone you have there.

1269602956_dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve.gif

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score

Excellent build quality to be honest, although I'm not 100% sure who/how they're done, I do know that Nik @ Ceriatone built mine and he has a great rep as a builder and then to follow that, my particular Chupa was modded/tweaked by Cameron (reluctantly lol as he and many others feel the chupa is a Cameron clone but whaterver, I don't concern myself with that s#!t, just tone), in fact, I call my amp the "Chewpacameron". :lol:

Here's a shot of mine so you can judge for yourself on the build..

Also, I kinda got into all this VH tone chasing stuff week lol so I tightened up my earlier clip idea and made a quick and nasty vid to share...

Chupa VH Tone

Very nice indeed. Mark will certainly get the filtering perfect. It's as if your Chupa has no clipping diodes. Sounds like an Atomica conversion. :yesway:

David ♫

Derek S

Reaction score

Thanks keennay...and lmao...that gif! And you're around the hooch too, nice. I'm in Dallas GA and actually cross over the Hooch on my daily death march to work.

Thanks David! I recall talking privately with psychodave who worked very closely with Mark, in fact, dave is the guy who wrote the Atomica manual (I believe, could've been the CCV).. anyway, yeah, he said something to the same effect (the chupa, especially after Cameron tweaked this one) is a one-off of the Atomica. I'll take it, whatever it's supposed to be...maybe that's why Ceriatone called it the Chupa...leaves it a mystery. ;)

pittbull

Reaction score

The Chupa sounds very good I like it better then the Bray modded Marshall.The Chupa has more cut/brightness then the bray.The Bray sounds nice don't get me wrong but it sounds less bright/cutting then the Chupa the Bray is more warm.

Last edited:

Tone Slinger

Reaction score

The Chupa sounds very good I like it better then the Bray modded Marshall.The Chupa has more cut/brightness then the bray.The Bray sounds nice don't get me wrong but it sounds less bright/cutting then the Chupa the Bray is more warm.

The Chupa is just too 'modern' sounding. It simply doesnt get that vintage brown sound imo. The EVH 'Brown Sound' was sort of -transitional- in terms of it having one foot in the '70's out put tube crunch-tone', with the other foot in the '80's preamp thing'. It was simply that Ed truly had his top/s on 10, and used a variac, which lessened the volume and headroom a bit and gave the amps tone a bit more of the 'thinner compression you hear in the 'preamp gain' modded amps that hit by the mid '80's. Most contemporaries of Ed in the late '70's ran thier tops at or around break up (4-5 vol). Dimed and variaced (85-90v) is where that tone lives.

The Chupa does a great 'modded' Marshall tone (ala Jose, Jackson, etc), but the Bray, imo, doesnt even sound modded, it just sounds like a cranked up top would via an attenuator or reamped type scenario. It has the right eq and squish, whereas the Chupa just sounds about like any other multi preamp gain stage amp, (imo of course).

pittbull

Reaction score

The Chupa in my opinion is closer to the VH1 sound due to the cut/ brightness it achieves.The Bray is a nice amp also.The thing is there were a lot of guitarist back then(70s) that used Marshall amps cranked on 10 but they didn't have Edwards tone.

Tone Slinger

Reaction score

The Chupa in my opinion is closer to the VH1 sound due to the cut/ brightness it achieves.The Bray is a nice amp also.The thing is there were a lot of guitarist back then(70s) that used Marshall amps cranked on 10 but they didn't have Edwards tone.

Actually, not many turned up past 5. Kiss was like at 5, and keep in mind they were using new import 1959's with 6550's. The breakup was less than el-34s or 6ca7's. Thin Lizzy werent cranking either,5-7 there abouts, same thing with Michael Schenker (UFO era). Eddie was different. He liked the sound (gain ) of his main top/s ONLY when cranked. You can hear in '75 to mid '76 bootlegs that Ed was turned to an 'acceptable' volume (probably 3 to no more than 6). His tone was very much in that '70's Marshall crunch-tone' along with the afforementioned bands. Ed had an acceptable way to totally crank his tops when he learned of the variac. It helped tame around 20% of the volume (at least run as he did at 90v), reduced the headroom and increased the compression/sag. This was totally unique to only him at that point and the main reason he got a 'hair' bit more gain as compared to most of his peers.

The VH1 iso's pretty much tell the story. Bone stock super lead a bit on the bright side. By WACF, Ed had it down and pretty much by 'Fair Warning' he had perfected his tone imo. The Bray tweaked amps sound almost spot on to the Fair Warning tone imo. It would be a dis-service to tweak Bray's tone back to a TOTAL VH1 sound, cause it would have to be thinner and brighter.

I honestly think that Brays amps beat Ed at his own game (in reference to his early tone).

pittbull

Reaction score

TS the stock cranked Plexi variac thing had been tried by many and the results are not VH1 sounding if you know what I mean.

pittbull

Reaction score

I guess

rmlevasseur

Reaction score

man both those amps are killer, but I agree with TS spot on. I think the Bray has a little more warmth and sag, making it a little browner. I do wonder though how much speakers are playing into this as well. On a DAW I bet those amps could sound so similar nobody could tell the difference. just an eq nudge and a smidge of compression and I bet we couldn't tell the difference. I also think the brightness of the Chupa may make it more versatile when ya wanna get out of the brown.

Either way, you both suck. Now I want one bad. I love my SLO but it just can't do this.

pittbull

Reaction score

TS it still needs more in front(gain/edge),the 74 marshall clip you posted.

Ed Hunter

Reaction score

all are sounding great!
One of the very best 81 era tones i have ever heard was from BLIX using a bone stock 68 plexi cranked to ten with nothing but verb from the board
SoundClick artist: amund72 - page with MP3 music downloads
and for ED's 1977 club days tone this guy RALLE has it down! matter of fact give him sunset studio and he would have the VH I tone!
MetroAmp.com Forum • View topic - I just had to... new clip... some changes...

eddies tone in 77
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql2FyN7QOsE

Last edited:

pittbull

Reaction score

Ed,the blix clip is fair warning sounding

Ed Hunter

Reaction score

Ed,the blix clip is fair warning sounding

yeah i edited the text to specify each
the RALLE clip is VH I just needs post production to put it over the top