Best overdrive pedal to compliment a Marshall?

• Thread starter safc78
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fogboundturtle

Reaction score
Hmmm.... Interesting rule.:wtf:

IF you want to be, or act like a tone snob, perhaps you might reconsider your approach, and use the stuff that sets bold new standards???

Just a thought...

I never liked any of the boss pedal. They always seems to color your tone.

I mostly use TC Helicon products now : Nova Dynamics, Nova Drive and Nova Repeater. This is what works for me. It doesn't color the tone and I find it very transparent. My Marshall still sound like a Marshall and that what I want.

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score

I mostly use TC Helicon products now : Nova Dynamics, Nova Drive and Nova Repeater. This is what works for me. It doesn't color the tone and I find it very transparent. My Marshall still sound like a Marshall and that what I want.

Here's a Boss SD-1 in front of my Super Lead and it still sounds like a Super Lead with the pedal. :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOBtRFDMXuc]YouTube - 1978 Super Lead Demo II[/ame]

jcmjmp

Reaction score

Of course they color your tone, as does any other OD pedal out there.

I love TC products but their drive pedal is no better than an SD-1 or TS-9

psychodave

Reaction score
I prefer the TIM or Timmy pedal. I also like the PQ3 or TC 1140.

The SD-1 compressed the sound too much for me. I prefer a lot more head room. ;)

Fogboundturtle

Reaction score
Of course they color your tone, as does any other OD pedal out there.

I love TC products but their drive pedal is no better than an SD-1 or TS-9

First of all, TC nova drive is 2 pedal in one. One side is OD the other Distortion. You can change your routing OD -- > Distortion or Distortion --> OD. You can also save all your preset digitally yet the whole circuit is analog. Tons of option that any of the pedal you mention doesn't have.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
First of all, TC nova drive is 2 pedal in one. One side is OD the other Distortion. You can change your routing OD -- > Distortion or Distortion --> OD. You can also save all your preset digitally yet the whole circuit is analog. Tons of option that any of the pedal you mention doesn't have.

Tons of options doesn't make it sound better. :confused:

richny1977

Reaction score
Thanks for heads up on just got one on SD-1 on ebay was using ds-1 ,wasn't so happy
compressor/sustainer sounded almost as good on OD channel

Fogboundturtle

Reaction score
Tons of options doesn't make it sound better. :confused:

Dude, Seriously ? I can see you have no intention of even debating this like an adult. Have you ever played a Nova Drive pedal before ? before you ask, Yes I have played Boss pedal before and I didn't like any of them except maybe the blues driver /w keeley mode but I am not sure I would want it on my pedal board.

zachman

Reaction score

That's their job. When I use my smaller rigs and use a Boss Tuner, and/or CE2 chorus, Flanger etc... my Boogies, Marshall, Fenders, Vox etc... etc... still sound like what they sound like-- without them (until I turn them on) then of course it sounds like the amp w/ the given affect OR silence when engaging the tuner. :cheers:

Now whether or not a given color or texture is what one is after is another story, BUT anything you run in your signal chain will affect your signal, which is why I run all my stuff through a switching system-- so when I want to bypass an effect, I bypass the device and the cables connecting the device/devices-- keeping the signal chain as pure as possible.

I am a HUGE fan of TC Electronic and have been using their gear since 1987. GREAT stuff!!!

gearpics004-1.jpg

DSC01813.jpg

DSC_3270.jpg

hob_20805_83.jpg

Copyofhob_20805_10.jpg

Rock, Blues, Pop, Funk, R&B, Fusion Jazz

2011_03_17_1578.jpg

DSC_3294.jpg

9124_1217398204165_1505171584_58595.jpg

DSC_2119.jpg

IMG_7628.jpg

IMG_7447.jpg

spamjam2010pics039.jpg

spamjam2010pics007.jpg

BUT... I use Stock "Normal" pedals/gear too:

mypedalsletmeshowthemtoyou.jpg

zachandtoni.jpg

THIS_1_D.jpg

zach_at_galaxy_3.jpg

Last edited:

Landshark

Reaction score
Dude, Seriously ? I can see you have no intention of even debating this like an adult. Have you ever played a Nova Drive pedal before ? before you ask, Yes I have played Boss pedal before and I didn't like any of them except maybe the blues driver /w keeley mode but I am not sure I would want it on my pedal board.

Man calm down... No one's saying you suck or your pedal choice sucks; Just that each pedal is a tool and we all might like using differen't tools to tailor our sound. Options might make the pedal more useable for someone, but it doesn't make a player better. If it makes you happy then cheers! :cheers: Have a cold one and relax man!:wave::wave: We're all friends here! :)

newbies

Reaction score
I sent mine on a half way around the world trip to Canada, it sounds great now

Were you using it on the JVM clip?? Yea i was going to send it off at christmas but then the cobra came up & now europe trip, as soon as I get some spare cash its going on a little holiday :wave: