Best overdrive pedal to compliment a Marshall?

• Thread starter safc78
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

grainman

Reaction score
What do you think of the MXR m77 or the od Zakk Wylde as a boost pedal for clean and lead/rythm channels ?
the custom badass is a good choice if you dont mind a bit of color in your tone.. the 100hz dial is a cool feature for more bass with a marshall at low volume...imho

Thomas Steven

Reaction score
a friend of mine just made me a cool big muff clone you like it or you dont but its very touch sensitive which is not very common with big muffs. and i totally agree with graineman on boss stuff they use to be good but these days ouch

tallcoolone

Reaction score
i dont wanna shock the audience again but seriously boss really suck...if you like em ask your ears a major tune up...or do this test ..plug a cheap soul food and compare it to your super od..it wont cost much and it will show you the path...after buy a decent klon clone ( the sf is a cheap version) or any germanium based boost...youll discover your amp again promise..(soul food is NOT germanium based btw ..its a good starter)

If you can’t make an SD-1 into a Marshall sound fantastic your ears aren’t ‘tuned’—you need to shop less and practice more.

JTM1963

Reaction score
My favourite OD into an overdriven Marshall is the MXR Distortion+. Volume dimed and distortion at 10 o'clock. Sweetness!
Doesn't change the tone or turn it to mush. Sustain for weeks. And inexpensive.

67Mopar

Reaction score
Depends on what Marshall amp you're using. If I had to choose one, it would be the Ibanez TS8O8. If you're talking plexi... TS8O8 + EP3 Echoplex. MXR Distortion + for heavier clipping. TS8O8 + KLON stacked sounds very good into a plexi.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Source Audio L.A. Lady. I had one for a short while with a DSL401. I really loved it but sent it back to afford an amp upgrade to the 40CR. Using the Source Audio software you can program the pedal to be any one of 50 different simulated overdrives, fuzzes and bass distortions, with your favourite 6 available from the pedal itself once programed. If I can ever afford to change from a BOSS GT-100 to a stomp box pedalboard, this would be the first I'd buy back. From the website:

0 Tube Drive - Marshall amp-style overdrive
1 Smooth Tube - Mesa boogie pre amp distortion
2 Power Stage - Fulltone Distortion Pro
3 Crunch Tube - Our own distortion, not based on any particular sound. It’s a more aggressive tube distortion.
4 TS9000 - Ibanez Tube Screamer
5 Big Pi - EHX Big Muff Pi
6 El Raton - ProCo Rat
7 Fuzz Façade - Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face
8 Bender - Tone Bender mk II
9 Metal - EHX Metal Muff
10 Octave Fuzz - Octavia
11 Gated Fuzz - inspired by the Woolly Mammoth, but not very close at all. (rsmith601's words, not mine)
12 Bass Tube Drive
13 Bass Smooth Tube
14 Bass Power Stage
15 Bass Crunch Tube
16 Bass TS9000
17 Bass Big Pi
18 Bass El Raton
19 Bass Fuzz Façade
20 Bass Bender
21 Bass Metal
22 Bass Octave Fuzz
23 Bass Gated Fuzz
24 Gated Fuzz II - original
25 Gated Fuzz III - original
26 TS 9001 - Ibanez TS 808?
27 Maestro FZ-1A - Maestro FZ-1A
28 Bigger Pi - Skreddy Mayonnaise
29 Foldover - original
30 OhSeeDee - Fulltone OCD
31 Fuzz Face II
32 DS-1 - Boss DS-1
33 Rat II
34 Bender II
35 Metal II
36 Octave II
37 Smoked Glass C4L - Darkglass B3K
38 38 Special - original
39 Smooth Tube II
40 Power Stage II
41 Crunch Tube II
42 Grated Bass - original
43 Clean
44 Smoked Glass D5M – Darkglass B3K
45 The Klone - Klon Centaur
46 Pepperface Fuzz - Analogman Peppermint Fuzz
47 Vari-Screamer - Nobels ODR-1 Natural Drive
48 Foldover II - Original
49 Germanium Muffin - Germanium EHX Big Muff

67Mopar

Reaction score
Don't forget the Elektron Analog Drive. It has the best MIAB sound I've ever heard. If that's what you're going for?

OctaveFuzzDude

Reaction score
SoloDallas Storm! The secret to AC/DC! \m/
11336107_800.jpg

GuitarIV

Reaction score
Boss SD-1 for humbucker guitars, TS-9 type for singlecoils. If I had to choose only one to use for the rest of my life, hands down the SD-1. The kerrang that you get from that simple and cheap pedal yet has to be matched by any other OD I tried. No matter if "boutique" or not.

Ian Alderman

Reaction score
For me personally, after using a TS9, a Wampler Tumnus Deluxe, a Black Arts Toneworks Witch Burner, an Emerson Paramount... I have to say that the Tone Freak Naked Overdrive compliments my Marshall the best. I'm surprised that a pedal that was specifically designed to push a Marshall hasn't made the list yet. If you can find one, definitely give the Naked Overdrive a shot!

Point 2 Point

Reaction score
For me personally, after using a TS9, a Wampler Tumnus Deluxe, a Black Arts Toneworks Witch Burner, an Emerson Paramount... I have to say that the Tone Freak Naked Overdrive compliments my Marshall the best. I'm surprised that a pedal that was specifically designed to push a Marshall hasn't made the list yet. If you can find one, definitely give the Naked Overdrive a shot!
What he said ^^^^