Best overdrive pedal to compliment a Marshall?

• Thread starter safc78
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jericbrazier

Reaction score
I have the SD-1 which i really like in front of my 900..im thinking of sending it to Keeley.
I use the oxblood with drive set to 0, tone and level at 1/2. Seems to really make the tone blossom. I run that into a ts808, if I want to get crazy. I know this is a little off topic. I recently got a Bogner Ecstasy Red, and when use that with crunch channel, just at the edge of breakup, suffice it to say that's become my main gain tone. That Oxblood as clean boost really makes the amp shine. It's on all the time.

Metroman

Reaction score
My favorite Medium Gain Drive pedal is the Roger Mayer 4644 Drive. It just came out this year. I'm getting ready to order another 1 next week.

Best rive Ive ever heard. Very simple to use.

The Drive also has 2 x Buffered Outs, x 1 Hardwired/True Bypass, and can drive 2 amps.

dslman

Reaction score
I've had many SD-1s over the years, its a good pedal in stock form, and lots better with some simple mods.
Right now Im still having fun with the MXR M77, its got some omph, and sings in 3D.
I always choose a pedal on how it sounds, not by its name. Im actually considering the Boss RV-6.
The only exception is Behringer pedals due to their plastic boxes and cheap jacks, but they have their place for a young guitarist just trying new sounds.

Last edited:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
OFA Tube Booster. Only if you can wring the neck.

I keed! The pedal is solid though. I'm still finding settings other than the in your face sorry my 10 inches smacked you in the face when I turned around you fucking midget guitarist. MEAT! It's what's for dinner.

matttornado

Reaction score
Hmmm.... Interesting rule.:wtf:

IF you want to be, or act like a tone snob, perhaps you might reconsider your approach, and use the stuff that sets bold new standards???

Just a thought...

I know! LOL BOSS makes some of the best sounding / affordable pedals ever made. That's why Pros use them. I wonder if some of these tone snobs even know how to play.....

matttornado

Reaction score
Just make sure you try the pedals LIVE, at a gig, not in your bedroom or low volume levels. That is the true test because a pedal might sound totally awesome at home & then when you go to use it live, it doesn't work for you. My Rats are like that. They sound a little rough / harsh by themselves but they sure do cut well & sound good live on stage.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Just make sure you try the pedals LIVE, at a gig, not in your bedroom or low volume levels. That is the true test because a pedal might sound totally awesome at home & then when you go to use it live, it doesn't work for you. My Rats are like that. They sound a little rough / harsh by themselves but they sure do cut well & sound good live on stage.
This is exactly why some people try a 'proper' Marshall and complain there's too much high end for example ( which I've never really understood as you can back it off anyway ) . It only all makes sense when you want to be heard clearly when playing with the rest of the band .

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Do you own, or have you tried it? I'm curious about that one.

Yes I own it. Is the best O/D I had ever heard ( based on You Tuve listenings). Have not been disappointed and Wampler is a very good make
BP

Bsthetech

Reaction score
Lots of replys for the SD-1 so I decided to keep my eye's open for one. Local music shop had the Wazacraft version on sale today for $89 CAD so I picked one up. If any Canucks want one I'd suggest checking out your local Tom Lee.

David P. Makowski

Reaction score
Well, believe it or not the Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive is a really great choice. They seem to be perfect for driving the front end of my Marshalls to increase sustain. That's my only complaint about older Marshalls. They sound awesome but for lead work or solos you really have to fight for that sustain. I did that for many years with my Les Paul Custom and somehow I made it work. Now after reading so many articles in Guitar Mags it seems just about every Marshall Gibson player uses the Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive. John 5, Zakk Wylde, Vivian Campbell, Doug Aldrich, and many more. Here's the best part. A brand new Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive only costs $49.99. I have bought used ones for $29.99 or so. You can find them in virtually every music store which is great because if you need one in a hurry the nearest music store will have at least one in stock.

grainman

Reaction score
i dont wanna shock the audience again but seriously boss really suck...if you like em ask your ears a major tune up...or do this test ..plug a cheap soul food and compare it to your super od..it wont cost much and it will show you the path...after buy a decent klon clone ( the sf is a cheap version) or any germanium based boost...youll discover your amp again promise..(soul food is NOT germanium based btw ..its a good starter)

Last edited: