Between these Fender American Stratocasters...

• Thread starter LEOVAN83
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I don't mind the vintage radius that much. I like flatter also, prefer compound the most...

Yeah, I think if I were going for a new Strat, that I'd probably go w/the American Deluxe w/the compound radius (can always change the electronics if you don't care for the switching / etc.). I had an American Deluxe w/a 'modern c' that was really nice playing as well (was the previous version prior to the compound radius) ... I'm guessing that's what's on the Standard Strat, so that's why I'd go w/the Standard of the two above.

Feel is such a personal thing, right?

poeman33

Reaction score
The neck you prefer is soooooooo personal. Pickups you can change...but if you don't like the neck, it's just not worth it to change it.

For me personally:
I like 9.5. I can handle 7.25 as long as it's a C shape, but I prefer the 9.5.
I can't stand V necks. My hand gets sore immediately. They just don't suit my grip.
I also don't like compound radius necks. I much prefer a standard 9.5.

yet...the new American Fender Deluxe has a compound radius...so does a normal Warmoth neck. A straight 9.5 radius is an option ar Warmoth. The Clapton Strat is one of Fender's best sellers for a signature model. It has the soft V. So I guess I'm not normal (my wife has been telling me that for years)

50WPLEXI

Reaction score
Build quality on the new American Series is pretty damn good from what I've seen. Again, it's the neck that's gonna be the big thing.

LEOVAN83

Reaction score
What's the radius on my '09 Les Paul Custom? Maybe that's a reference I can relate to...

I won't try to mod or change anything to the thing, not even straplocks since I will literally just play it for fun at home, just to have a Strat, I just want it to be US made though.

RBscrim

Reaction score
They are different beasts. Both will be similar quality, but will play and sound alot differently. Try them both if you can.

about the price...I'm sure it depends on where you live. The closest Fender dealer to me is hundreds of dollars more expensive than ordering online for anything Fender. I ordered my last American Standard from a large authorized Canadian dealer. No one was offering them cheaper that I could see. Quasar must live in a better place where the market is more competitive.

While on-line prices are indeed lower, it's been my experience that most stores will match any advertised price on-line. I have several Stratocasters and they are all different. Since you're "not a Strat player" you really need to sit down and play both.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
What's the radius on my '09 Les Paul Custom? Maybe that's a reference I can relate to...

I won't try to mod or change anything to the thing, not even straplocks since I will literally just play it for fun at home, just to have a Strat, I just want it to be US made though.

Your LP has a 12 inch radius.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
Two different worlds. You have to choose between old school or new school. If you play mostly Rock and Metal, the '57 is the completely wrong choice for you. The Standard will get you decent Jazz, Blues and Rock tones, but not the best for Metal and won't get you the old-school clean chime on the in-between pickup settings.

The '57 is being phased out and replaced by the American Vintage '56 (or so my dealer told me when I bought my first-run '56 last month). It has small frets, V-shaped neck, 7.25" radius, vintage bridge, vintage tuners, vintage pickups and the truss adjustment is at the body joint. NOT a Rock/Metal machine, but these DO have lots and lots of character and dimension that you simply cannot get from a modern American Standard or Deluxe Fender. (The same applies to the '56. Should you decide to look into it, the '56 will set you back over $2K.)

The American Standard is a great instrument for a mere 11 Slappies, even if they sound rather plain. Also, not sure if they come with hard case or gig bag? They cover a broad range of tones and have modernized parts. At $1,100 you WILL need to make sure the fit and finish is up to snuff. Focus much attention on the neck and bridge:
  • Make sure the nut is cut and slotted correctly.
  • Make sure the tuners are aligned (Fender's pretty good here usually).
  • Make sure the neck alignment and body joint are right: make sure both E strings are correct and equal distance from the edges of the neck.
  • Play every note on every fret to check for buzzing frets. If you find a case where only one or two frets buzzes in a limited area, this is cause for serious concern, as this may not be able to be corrected by the truss rod.
  • Check the bridge and [try to] determine if the angle is correct, or you may find youself having to take it apart to add shims at home if the bridge screws cut into your hands and you can't raise the bridge pieces any higher - something that totally pisses me off.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:) I'd go with the Vintage. The Standard has that REAL white maple neck which I can't Stand the looks of. It's the main reason I sold my Custom Shop Clapton Strat. I couldn't bond with it because of the WHITE neck. It just looks unfinished to me.

But that's just me.

:D:D TWIN

poeman33

Reaction score
:) I'd go with the Vintage. The Standard has that REAL white maple neck which I can't Stand the looks of. It's the main reason I sold my Custom Shop Clapton Strat. I couldn't bond with it because of the WHITE neck. It just looks unfinished to me.

But that's just me.

:D:D TWIN

apparently others agreed with you, because starting mid last year, the American Standards now have a tinted neck finish.

LEOVAN83

Reaction score
apparently others agreed with you, because starting mid last year, the American Standards now have a tinted neck finish.

I was wondering, did the original Strats had a regular white board or were they tinted/glossed out?

Also, I won't play metal with a Stratocaster, It's just to play hard rock, clean, etc. But, in all, the American Standard starts to sound like the better choice for me.

Question, do both have the fake aged plastic parts? If so, is it just the color or are they "scratched up" too?

poeman33

Reaction score
I was wondering, did the original Strats had a regular white board or were they tinted/glossed out?

Also, I won't play metal with a Stratocaster, It's just to play hard rock, clean, etc. But, in all, the American Standard starts to sound like the better choice for me.

Question, do both have the fake aged plastic parts? If so, is it just the color or are they "scratched up" too?

Click on "specs". They were changed last year to tinted neck, aged plastic parts, and Fender Fat 50's pups. Personally...I kinda like the newer look of mine...but that's me.
American Standard Stratocaster® | Electric Guitars | Fender Guitars

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score

guitargoalie

Reaction score
as everyone has already said, way different feel. I started to regret my 62 because after playing a 2012 standard, it felt a lot better in the neck. The am std is made for the modern player with more comfort, and with the new cs pickups, is right up there in quality. I've grown used to my 62, but it has C neck while the 57 has a V, gotta try in store for youself

Latest posts