Billy Blades song of the day ! Our Daily Crunch!

• Thread starter Billyblades
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
How are you going to do a "real" demo without recording capabilities?

I'm just asking seriously. No picking or prodding.

If you're referring to me doing a demo that was never the plan. I'm talking about BB doing an official Demo before the amp ships. Yeah, I don't have a way to record and never once promised anyone a demo. :) I don't know if I have the balls to post it once I do have a way to record, but that remains to be seen. :p

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds OK. Not great, not awful. Not my problem if you don't like what I have to say. You can simply ignore it, if you choose. It's not going to make the amp sound any different than it does. It's just an OK sounding amp. Are you saying it actually sounds better than a JCM, JVM, or DSL?

I've heard each of those amps sound rough. Yes. Billy's vid of his amp has sounded better than many I have watched of each of those amps. Hence judging it fully by this demo is ludicrous.

Grunch

Reaction score
If you're referring to me doing a demo that was never the plan. I'm talking about BB doing an official Demo before the amp ships. Yeah, I don't have a way to record and never once promised anyone a demo. :) I don't know if I have the balls to post it once I do have a way to record, but that remains to be seen. :p

Ah, okay. Let me clear that I'm not dogging you or your amp, or even billybob. I'm just curious. My only position in all of this has been billy's previous total lack of professionalism, excuses, and time-wasting. Not his amp building skills or the tone. Just his behavior while your amp sat undone. But he's in the home stretch now, so good luck. I hope it's eventually all you want it to be. That's ultimately all that matters. You're the one that has to listen to it.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
It sounds OK. Not great, not awful. If I was basing it on what I think of BB, I wouldn't even say that. Not my problem if you don't like what I have to say. You can simply ignore it, if you choose. It's not going to make the amp sound any different than it does. It's just an OK sounding amp.

I know none of you will answer this question, but are you saying it sounds better than a JCM, JVM, Jub or DSL?

Well I'll let you know how it compares to my DSL when i get it, but I don't know about the others. I personally don't think any amp demo I've ever heard does any amp justice for what it really sounds like so I'll have to wait until I have it to know for sure. I do think I can say that after owning my C5 for more than 3 years now that in that demo he did post, it's no comparison. My C5 is already for sale.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does that mean?

That means does the amp sound good or does the amp sound bad. I've heard both versions of each of those amps you listed. Playing one would probably be the most telling but if all you have is a clip then you're always going to get people's bias mixed in. Some of that bias oozes through...others are more subtle.

What I do is hear a clip. If I like the amps tone in that vid/clip I try it. I have sent way more amps packing then I have ever chosen whether mail order or at the local GC. Amps that others gush over. That's how great others opinions are in judging amps. That's how much their opinions don't hold water with me.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Ah, okay. Let me clear that I'm not dogging you or your amp, or even billybob. I'm just curious. My only position in all of this has been billy's previous total lack of professionalism, excuses, and time-wasting. Not his amp building skills or the tone. Just his behavior while your amp sat undone. But he's in the home stretch now, so good luck. I hope it's eventually all you want it to be. That's ultimately all that matters. You're the one that has to listen to it.

Grunch, I can't in good conscience give you a like, but I would to for that. (surprise everyone, lol)

I believe that is where you're coming from and that was actually when I started to "get" you a little bit. If you noticed or not, that was the turning point where I backed off. :cheers:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does that mean? That it sounds better than a malfunctioning Marshall?

How do you know they were malfunctioning? Can an audio clip capture and represent an amp fully? You haven't played Billy's amp and are dismissing it as ok. I just told you by clips I have heard those Marshall's you listed as sounding less than good. Get it?

So yes...at any given recording an amp can sound better than...JVM, DSL, YJM...yadda yadda shoulda boughta BB amp.

Last edited:

DWK302

Reaction score
What does that mean? That it sounds better than a malfunctioning Marshall?

How do you know they were malfunctioning?

Huh? My post was a question to you. Notice how it ended with a "?." If you are trying to tell me that this amp sounds better than a high gain Marshall amp, then you must have your head so far up..... never-mind. Dude, I know he's your "Forum brotha," but let's have some objectivity here.

Side note - I met Alex Skolnik at NAMM this past December just before he performed at the Peavy showroom. Really cool, down to earth guy. Incredibly talented at so many different styles. I saw Testament when I was a Jr. in HS. They opened up for Iron Maiden during their Fear of the Dark Tour at Verizon Amphitheater. Back then it was called Irvine Meadows.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I have this DVD - rad!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnXUFeFDpoE]Yngwie Malmsteen & New Japan Philharmonic: Far Beyond The Sun - YouTube[/ame]

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score

Side note - I met Alex Skolnik at NAMM this past December just before he performed at the Peavy showroom. Really cool, down to earth guy. Incredibly talented at so many different styles. I saw Testament when I was a Jr. in HS. They opened up for Iron Maiden during their Fear of the Dark Tour at Verizon Amphitheater. Back then it was called Irvine Meadows.

That's pretty cool man. What year was that? I saw Testament and Megadeath open for Priest in 1991. I think it was in Orlando FL, but I saw so many shows back then I forget where I saw them all. It was either Orlando or Daytona...I think, lol.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I saw Testament when I was a Jr. in HS. They opened up for Iron Maiden during their Fear of the Dark Tour at Verizon Amphitheater. Back then it was called Irvine Meadows.
Cool, back in the day, I played at Irvine Meadows...

DWK302

Reaction score
Good luck with that. The brotherhood circles the wagons!

Even at the risk of looking irrational? Guy claims to be objective then says BB's homemade amp is better than Marshalls, on Marshall Forum no less!! Owkay.

I'm thinking it was 1992. Come to think of it, I was only a freshman. When did you play there? I saw so many bands at Irvine Meadows back in my heavy metal days in high school. Saw Pantera on their Far Beyond Driven tour, Sepultura opened at that show; saw Danzig, with Type O Negative opening on Halloween night. I liked Danzig, but they always attracted a large group of Neo-Nazis, for whatever reason. I'm mostly into blues now.

Latest posts