Birthday Amp | Ltd Ed SV20H / 1974CX

• Thread starter tolm
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Essexmark

Reaction score
Happy birthday mate and that's a stunning amp and cab. I wonder if I may ask a question. I've been looking at those bundles here in the UK (I'm still undecided on Combo or head/Cab and you can buy either in the design store colours) but I understand the cab has a 20w speaker in it. Will that be enough for the amp?

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Happy birthday mate and that's a stunning amp and cab. I wonder if I may ask a question. I've been looking at those bundles here in the UK (I'm still undecided on Combo or head/Cab and you can buy either in the design store colours) but I understand the cab has a 20w speaker in it. Will that be enough for the amp?

The cab has a v-type in it that's rated at 70 watts. I think it will cope....😋

junk notes

Reaction score
Could the 1974cx be undergunned so to speak with that speaker and the SV20h (Apologies to original poster for hijacking his thread)
Not hijacking the thread at all. Interesting!
So Marshall says that the V-type was the bomb matched up the the Studio Series. That includes the OPs Ltd Ed SV20H birthday amp.
I am guessing speaker breakup would play apaert in the overall sound if you were to push the amp.
Wonder how it would sound at gigs.

edit: hmm, I think I will have to track one of the speakers (G12M-20 Heritage) down and form a solid and comprehensive opinion for the SV20H. curious, are the EVH 20w the same speaker different label?

Last edited:

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Gotta be honest I can't really fault the 10" v-type in the SV combo. Liked it in the DSL too - only put the alnico in there because it was sitting in a box doin nuttin. Turns out I love the alnico even more which makes me wonder how one would sound in the SV. I really ought to do it. If they weren't so darned expensive. Looking at the net they seem cheaper in the US than here despite being made here. I always love it when that happens.....

tolm

Reaction score
So, yeh, the 10“ V-Type in the combo sounded good but the head / 1x12 (with 25W Greenback) just sounded better … a lot of which could be down to the larger cab dimensions as much as the speaker itself, I guess.

tolm

Reaction score
UPDATE: Put some Gold Lion KT66 power tubes in today … sounds FANTASTIC!!

52349808226_aaa2839405_k.jpg

Result is as you would expect - subtle but definitely a difference: slightly warmer, more bass response and a smoother less fizzy edge to the distortion. Spot on!

Not that the EL34s sounded bad - they just had a more aggressive sound. It’s now closer to my old Bluesbreaker combo - which had a gorgeous tone but was just too darned heavy to cart around to rehearsals and gigs!!

I liked the amp a lot before … absolutely love it now.