Boss Pedals : Listen To This: )

• Thread starter stillrockin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rodney

Reaction score
Just to add to this , as much as I do like the Boss Waza,craft pedals and any other Boss pedals that I have used there is just one thing if I could I would change , the buffer , Im not overly keen on them as I find all though only small they just suck some natural amp tone away, some may say barely audible but I notice it.

iron broadsword

Reaction score
Honestly I don't get why people get bent out of shape over the buffer. Sure I've never done an A/B test but I've been playing for 20 years and I've never noticed a difference other than it helping with longer cable runs.

Rodney

Reaction score
im not saying the buffer is a bad thing , I just notice a slight difference when in bypass mode and I prefer to not have a buffer , I have a lot of pedals I have gained over 30 years of playing and recently I tested each one individually just to see which ones were buffered and not and boss showed up the most . In saying that when the Boss pedals are doing there thing they do it very very well ,

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to hear his godly tone.

I don't hear anything either godly or otherwise.

The tone of opinion leaves me wondering...always.

The tone of my chain leaves me playing. None of my pedals are Boss. Mine suit me though.

stillrockin

Reaction score
i have the dd 500 but it has a lot of settings to have a good preset
my digitech hardwire dl 8 was plug and play

stillrockin

Reaction score
Steve Vai is so cool and amazing but he has the opposite sound that i like
Gary Moore, Steve Morse, Santana, Paul Personne, Lukather hh III, John Sykes, thin lizzy members
Mahogany and a warm tone in the neck position and for guitar solo
john Nurum '(Europe)

Luke plays with alder ok :)

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
I think they sound awful. I mean, really.

When I found my first good sounding tube amp, I never used pedals again since.
That was about 30 years ago.

jack daniels

Reaction score
For buffering issues with the Boss or Boss Waza Craft pedals...

Answer: The VHT/Fryette Valvulator

FRYT-V1-2.jpg

The VHT Valvulator I Line Driver/Power Supply uses a vacuum tube-based buffer circuit to change your guitar signal from high to low impedance. As a result, your signal overcomes high-frequency degradation caused by cable capacitance, impedance effects, and signal degradation caused by the circuits of effects devices. Experience the same dynamic feel as you would get plugged directly into your amp.

mcblink

Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with BOSS pedals. I've had a few over the years. I don't use any pedals nowadays because
I think they sound awful. I mean, really.

When I found my first good sounding tube amp, I never used pedals again since.
That was about 30 years ago.

My first Marshall tube amp changed everything for me. My first Marshall was after I had been playing a few years and it was a SS MG30RCD. I was probably 16 or so. I still have it and it still sounds just like it did the day I got it.
My first Marshall tube amp was 2007 and I've never looked back. Haven't bought any pedals, or any amps without tubes since.

Edit: in thinking further here I realized I lied. I did buy a Line 6 spider 75 when my first tube amp, a TSL100, broke down. I needed to be able to play, man, and I didn't know how long it would be before I could get the TSL up again. Even so, the line 6 was mostly a waste of a couple hundred bucks. On the other hand, I did get me through that sad, tubeless time, so I suppose it was worth something in that sense.

Last edited:

stillrockin

Reaction score
the boss blues driver sounds good but it's not like an amp
it's different that's all
boos super octaver: is very good

Carl Jones

Reaction score
I see this is an old thread, but I've recently heard a change in tone (for the worse) while playing my rig. the only change that I have made is swap my sd1 for a brand new one. The 2 pedals are only a couple of years apart in age, is it possible for two of the same models to sound so different ?

I need to know if anyone has had this same experience. Both pedals was bought brand new and no mods have been made. Also pedals are in the same order (everything is exactly the same)

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Definitely possible, varying spec of components, or different ones used later. My only Boss in use is the RV-6 :cool: Early '80s DS-1 and OC-2 make rare cameos...

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
I still like Boss-especially some of their 80's pedals.

I'm/was gassing for one of these. You just know its going to sound great. But from what Ive heard of it on youtube it isnt worth the $4000 price tag.
http://www.bossus.com/products/waza_amp_head/

Dude try the Katana. I got the 50 watt combo for home practice, its only got 2 channels, but the 100 watt ones have 4 ch, the head has MIDI and a built in speaker for jamming when you dont have the cabinet with you or want to bother with it. They have also found a way to "unlock" the other tones in them.

Here's my 50 watt:

dslman

Reaction score
I've had a few Japanese Sd-1's and numerous Taiwan models , I haven't noticed much difference.
And I have a/b'd side by side.
YMMV.
I didn't care for the OD-1X at all.

dslman

Reaction score
Best 100 bucks on a O/D for me is the MXR M77. QUIET,OPEN, AND PLENTY OF GAIN. IT JUST HITS HARD , COMPARED TO MOST.
why was I on caps?