Cab choice

• Thread starter wareagle
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wareagle

Reaction score
so apparently i blew my speakers. i need a cab. all of the speakers. anyway what cab would go well with a 78 jmp super lead 100 watt head. and what speakers at that also. anyone selling anything? anyway advice needed on speakers and cab type. thnx :)

ironlung40

Reaction score
i always see the greenbacks mentioned for these amps. If it were me I would check out the vintage modern series 425a or 425b cabs. they have the g12c's which are marshall's new greenback version, really vintage sounding cabs. I've played them in the store with the vintage modern, and they're really good. the cab would have a total rating of 100 watts though, but they pair these with the 100 watt 2466 vintage modern head....I believe that head's output is going to be less than your super lead, not sure though....

What was the total output of the speakers you blew?

wareagle

Reaction score
well 75 watts for each speaker. i had 2. so that would be 150 watts. the technician said i needed at least 300 to be safe. so i was thinking just get a full cab. are the jcm 900 cabs 1960 model good? he said hed sell one for 400$ good price or no? i cant really afford anything over 500$ so is that good?

ironlung40

Reaction score
I'm sure those are pretty good cabs. Probably has the celestion 75's in her, so sounds like the same type you had before, just 4 of them to disperse the 100 beast you have...I don't really know how a JCM 900 cab compares to a newer 1960A or B, but someone in here probably does. I wouldn't think that there would be much difference if any. I'd say 400 dollars is a pretty good deal provided that the cabinet is in good shape all around. Maybe, see if they'll let you take it home for $400.00 even. Check ebay for cabs too...loads of them on there with 75's....I've seen prices from $300 on up, but shipping will usually bite you. If the $400 cab is local and you want the celestion 75 watt sound, i'd probably snag it up. I paid $350.00 for my 2x12 cab not long ago.

Good luck to you

wareagle

Reaction score
yeah, it had 75s in them. i found a couple on craigslist for less but im really fed up with craigslist. ill try there but it seems most are just scams. the jcm 900 1960 is in okay condition. its the techicians tryout amp. basicly he keeps it in his shop, whenever somone brings in their head to be fixed he uses that cab. he doesnt play outt it normally unless hes testing some of his products, which thinking about it he has alot of, and his amps are kick ass. maybe has too much use?

rocknrollamps.com

thats his site. hes really good at what he does. buys broken amps and fixes them up from scratch. very good stuff. anyway, thanks for all your help, maybe another member can tell me the difference between all the 1960 cabs, thanks

janarn

Reaction score
so apparently i blew my speakers. i need a cab. all of the speakers. anyway what cab would go well with a 78 jmp super lead 100 watt head. and what speakers at that also. anyone selling anything? anyway advice needed on speakers and cab type. thnx :)

You should try a 4x12" with G12H 30w with your amp, if you want a vintage sound.
For metal you should try high-watt speakers like the Vintage30 or G12T-75.

wareagle

Reaction score
well the thing is id need to buy like 2 cabs if i got 30 watt speakers...or more then that. i want a vintage sound def, but only have the only for one cab, so i need at least 75 watts ea. or 300 for the cab. i crank my amp a lot.

janarn

Reaction score
The G12H 30w 4x12" cabs was made for 100w amps.
That's why the old 1982 cabs had the "100" logo in the corner.
You can safly use one G12H 4x12" cab with a 100w amp.

wareagle

Reaction score
really? i read somewhere and my tech told me you need at least 300 watts to be safe on 100 watts. are these speakers special?

janarn

Reaction score
One cab was made for use with a 100w amp.
I have used my 1982 cab with G12H's with a 100w Super Bass,
and had no problems. Just a very good vintage sound if you dial in the amp the right way.

There is no need for a 300w cab, unless you want a lot of bass,
and no breakup from the speakers.

wareagle

Reaction score
then why would my speakers blow if it says its able to hold 170 watts? i didnt crank it like everyday, only once in a while.

ironlung40

Reaction score
I don't know how you blew your speakers. Do you dime the amp and boost it on top of that?

I know that some of the older 100watt marshall amps will actually put out more than 100 watts when you dime the volume and dime the gain, ie a jcm 800 2203 with all knobs cranked can yield 120 watts +/-....so I've been told.....but the above comments are true...a 100 watt cabinet should hold up to your 100 watt amp.....check how many players use a loaded 4x12 with greenbacks (25watt each) for a total of 100 watts and never have problems....

That is why I recommended the vintage modern series cabs....they have the new marshall greenback version speakers rated at 25watts apiece for a total of 100 watts for vintage vibe.....If I had your amp, I would run greenbacks or the vintage modern cabs (425a or 425b)....I think the celestion 75's would sound harsh with your amp...not enough mids in those speakers imo.

celestion 65's would be good too....they have a similar voice to greenbacks, but with 65 watts of power. 4 of those would yield you 260 watts. I have a 2x12 with them and love them. be advised though, they're not cheap, and hard to find originals.

wareagle

Reaction score
nope, if anything i do a slight boost on 6 v1 to add sustain. never over that really. maybe once or twice but never add boost. so wh would he tell me i need at least 300 watts? he said that vinage jmps like mine oten do this

janarn

Reaction score
Marshall did not use more than 30w speakers in their 4x12" cabs until '79,
when the G12-65 speaker was introduced.
So if you have a vintage Marshall, and want a vintage sound,
you're choice is 4x12" G12H 30w or G12M 25w speakers.
(1982 cab, or 1960 cab, as they had from '67 to '79)

wareagle

Reaction score
o i see, i have g12k-85's in my marshall from '78. theyr orriginal speakers...

ill look into those, are they much more expensive?

wareagle

Reaction score
anyone heard anything about jcm800 1982 cabs? anygood?

so lower wattage speakers also sound better but whats the point when your just going to blow them?

also my amp tech called it tone/cone cry, thats what i have, however when he played it in his cab it went down not fully away, is it any chance my amp is doing this? could i try it on my friends...dare i say, spider 3 cab (lol) and see if the tone/cone cry is there or will that completly destroy my amp?

Last edited:

Ken

Reaction score
There is no need for a 300w cab, unless you want a lot of bass,
and no breakup from the speakers.

That's what I have: 12H80's with 444 (bass) cones for 320 watts for my DSL 50.

Pros: VERY loud cabinet (100 dbl instead of the common 97) Super great response. What you put in is what you get out. Power chords are massive and leads really sing. It's easy to control the sound with amp/pedals since the speakers are neutral.

Cons: VERY loud cabinet! Bedroom volume requires a great amp for low volume (like a DSL). You get no speaker distortion, so you better be a good player! Blues players might prefer the GH30's. For modern rock it works well for me.

Ken

wareagle

Reaction score
what do you mean speaker distortion. one thing i love about my amp is how the natural distortion comes in at volume 1: 2 or 3. will that go away? i like to boost my leads ever so slightly to get that sustain i like.