Can Guys Tell Me Anything About This Jcm 800?

• Thread starter LawfulCitizen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThePitbullofLove

Reaction score
Got it! It is the 8412 cab, which I don't really care about since it is in fact a 2204 JCM. I'll post more later when I clean it up and get a chance to play it.

noiKLW8h.jpg

Sweet! You got it!
I picked up an 82 JCM800 and a 1960 cab loaded with Celestion 65's for a deal too. Love mine dearly....you'll love yours too! Congrats!

20160509_220634_zpsgvcswvkv.jpg

BowerR64

Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder, at least about current "steals" like these. Is the person a half-wit? Is it stolen? Is the guy a crack head? Is the guy just really hard up for cash and willing to take almost anything?

I figured it was an ex wife that got everything and is now unloading everything.

I bought a Fender 4X12 once off craigslist from some kid and i asked him if the speakers were stock and he said he didnt know it was his brothers who moved out years ago and he was tired of it in the house so he sold it for $60.

I put a little note inside the cab when i checked out the speakers with his name, number and e-mail incase anything happens i got some info where i got it.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad on the cab, but yea who cares. First year jcm800 2204 for 300 bucks,..holy crap, epic. 81s are seldom seen in my neck of the woods. Thats awesome...id see whats in it for tubes. Could be vintage 6550s and 12ax7s worth 200 or better alone. Shit with your luck you may find a unicorn in there...lol..

Last edited:

LawfulCitizen

Reaction score
Too bad on the cab, but yea who cares. First year jcm800 2204 for 300 bucks,..holy crap, epic. 81s are seldom seen in my neck of the woods. Thats awesome...id see whats in it for tubes. Could be vintage 6550s and 12ax7s worth 200 or better alone. Shit with your luck you may find a unicorn in there...lol..

Haha yeah should open it up and take a look. What brand of tubes would fetch that kind of money? Here's another pic, with my new (to me, basically in mint condition) Avatar.

dzWl8dZ.jpg

LawfulCitizen

Reaction score
Id open up that cab. You never know whats in there. If the previous owner had enough knowlege to run a 2204 that cab may just be loaded with something other than stock speakers.

I have 2 stock avt cabs that i run my 800 2204s, both an 82 and a clone through and as a full stack sound incredible, and seem to tame some of the highs the 800s have. I also have a 1960a and a 800 1936 and the 2 avt cabs do the job just as well as either of them imo.

What kind of speakers are you using?

Edit: ahh, stock Marshall AVT, I thought you were abbreviating Avatar. Haha.

Last edited:

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes avt cabs. I also have a 1960a and a 1936 both g12t75 loaded ..hard to make a 2204 sound bad with anything.

Last edited:

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet he scores again on the tubes...hes lucky, Just the opposite of me. If i was in a football field, and there was one pile of dogshit on the whole field, Id step in it..guaranteed.

LawfulCitizen

Reaction score
I bet he scores again on the tubes...hes lucky, Just the opposite of me. If i was in a football field, and there was one pile of dogshit on the whole field, Id step in it..guaranteed.

I'll open it up when I get the time and let you guys know. I think my luck may have run out though, the guy I bought it from did mention that he thought the tubes had been replaced sometime in the 90s. We'll see.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
When somebody sells an amp, it's usually cause something is wrong with it....(especially on e bay etc...)

Be prepared to do service to make it work correctly. Don't assume that it's 100% working.

"...You'll need a guitar with advanced pickup designs, just to get more than 1 sound for your playing...."

That depends on "who" is playing! It has a lot more to do with skill - than equipment.

Don't forget: you can give the greatest guitar player the crappiest amp.......and they will still sound great.
FYI: the equipment doesn't matter... the Pickups don't matter...it's TALENT that matters.

LawfulCitizen

Reaction score
When somebody sells an amp, it's usually cause something is wrong with it....(especially on e bay etc...)

Be prepared to do service to make it work correctly. Don't assume that it's 100% working.

"...You'll need a guitar with advanced pickup designs, just to get more than 1 sound for your playing...."

That depends on "who" is playing! It has a lot more to do with skill - than equipment.

Don't forget: you can give the greatest guitar player the crappiest amp.......and they will still sound great.
FYI: the equipment doesn't matter... the Pickups don't matter...it's TALENT that matters.

Ok.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its a tube amp..at some point it will need work. Thats for sure. But right now if it aint broke i wouldnt fix it. My original 2204 hasnt had anything done to it other than tubes and deoxit on the pots and it is still going strong with no hum buzz or wierdness. Mine has pretty much been in constant use since new. It will need work at some point im sure, but im not touching it repair wise until it tells me to. It still sounds like it always has.