Can I Get a Pop- punk tone from a jvm410

• Thread starter Thedec
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
For Greenday tone, you will never exactly nail it with a JVM (the JVM is too stiff IMO), but you will get close.. The JVM can get close to many past Marshalls, but will never sound the same.

OD1 green mode, Treble 5, Mids 10, Bass 5. Gain 3. Volume above 4. Pres 5. Res 6. Master above 4..

Now that should get you close, tweak from there.. Well that is my opinion anyway..

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh Greenday is "pop punk" is it, ok...you'll need more gain than the settings I suggested...I had a more vintage Brit tone in mind. The settings 'dozer posted will get you there methinks def. OD1 green and watch the gain once you get your vols above 4 or it will be squeal city. :rock:

Furies

Reaction score
I agree, "pop punk" is a very specific produced sound imo...

Respectfully disagree...I recorded several hundred pop-punk bands back in the early nineties, and while there were plenty of Marshall half stacks brought in (mostly beat up 800's back then), I recall recording a host of other amps, too. The tonal palette was pretty diverse (well OK, all were completely saturated distortion, but hey).

Crunchcity

Reaction score
Respectfully disagree...I recorded several hundred pop-punk bands back in the early nineties, and while there were plenty of Marshall half stacks brought in (mostly beat up 800's back then), I recall recording a host of other amps, too. The tonal palette was pretty diverse (well OK, all were completely saturated distortion, but hey).

The bands I identified with that slick "pop punk" sound back then were more firmly rooted in the Mesa camp at least with what I was exposed to.

It's more the attitude than the amp though for sure. :)

Thedec

Reaction score
hey guys i know i haven't replies for ages i got the amp and love now im looking for an exact song tone

"all signs point to lauderdale" by a day to remember

advice would be great
oh and i have my main tone now

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys i know i haven't replies for ages i got the amp and love now im looking for an exact song tone

"all signs point to lauderdale" by a day to remember

advice would be great
oh and i have my main tone now

Hey mate i had a listen to the song and it sounds like a Mesa to me so you wont replicate it exactly.. Plus its a very smooth post eq'd tone IMO which will be hard to replicate live. But to get you close i would suggest..

OD2 Red (there's alot of gain in the song)
Gain 4 (no more than 4 because you will lose definition)
Treb 6
Mids 5
Bass 7

Res 4
Pres 5

Now that would get you pretty close
Although i dont know what speakers you are running...

Lucifuge

Reaction score
Also depends on the guitar and the pups....

I remember when it was fun to try and get your own sound and get to know your equipment... Guess I'm getting old...:lol::lol::(