Can I Get a Pop- punk tone from a jvm410

• Thread starter Thedec
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thedec

Reaction score
hey there just seeing what people reckon im looking for a sort of day to remember, paramore, emarosa tonehttp://www.marshallforum.com/images/smilies/hmm.gif

any help would be great (exact channel and settings would be best)

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
hey there just seeing what people reckon im looking for a sort of day to remember, paramore, emarosa tonehttp://www.marshallforum.com/images/smilies/hmm.gif

any help would be great (exact channel and settings would be best)

My choice would be OD1. Make sure the bass player follows your every root note and it will sound like Punk. :jam:

Furies

Reaction score
Don't let us take the fun out of it - experiment on your own. As you know, punk isn't picky. Go grittier and gainier for starters. And of course, no reverb be needed here, says I. Let us know what you discover.

Thedec

Reaction score
thanks guys but im asking because i want to purchase a good amp but am stuck between orange , mesa or Marshall and although i had something against Marshall i really was impressed and was just wondering what amps people would suggest under the Marshall brand i mean i love the tone of the classic green day (1959 plexi) and blink but i want an amp capable of more depth eg paramore , emarosa, day to remember so pop punk but with capabilities to enter metal if neededhttp://www.marshallforum.com/images/smilies/hmm.gif

Thedec

Reaction score
hang on guys i get what your saying but the reason i ask is i havent got this amp yet ans am still deciding on a few amps im looking at a duel rectifier (messa), Orange rockerverb 100 or this marshall but was really impresed with this amp but just asking people what they suggest from marshall

i want an amp to be able to cover the classic green day (1959 plexi) and blink tones but also stuff with a bit more depth like paramore, you me at six , day to remember and emarosa so pop punk with the capability for metal

Thedec

Reaction score
OK guys cheers for the comments but i just want to make sure people realize i haven't got this amp yet i'm still deciding on a few amps

1) Messa Boogie Duel Rectifier

2) Orange Rockerverb 100

3) Marshalls

you see i tried the jvm 410 today and was really impressed but i was just wondering what people think about other marshalls too i want an amp that can get the classic green day (1959 plexi), Blink 182 but would also like it to achieve paramore cleans and distortion as well as the more hardcore A Day To Remember , emarosa and Yo Me At six

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
it's not about what other people think about an amp you want for a certain goal, it's what you think of the amp itself...
the JVM covers alot of ground, but many people think it's way too complicated to be a marhall as it has 28 knobs on the facepanel... they'd rather have 6 knobs on there and the remaining 22 on their pedalboard :D

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Use the crunch channel with the gain all the way up in green mode. Volume to suit mid and bass 1/2 way up and treble 3/4. This for a humbucker equipped guitar. Use the same settings but switch to orange or red for single coils (whichever you think sounds best). I don't know any of the bands you mentioned because I'm an old fart. But I use this setting for one of the best punk/pop songs ever written (Milk & Alcohol by Dr. Feelgood). Best advice I can give you is learn how to use your amp and come up with your own settings. At the end of the day trust your own ears (unless you're tone deaf, then take up fishing!!) :dude:

Wiseblood

Reaction score
You can easily get a Punk tone with a JVM. Really you can get anything from a clean Blues tones all the way up to Nu Metal. Everything in between, all by simply plugging in, no pedals. The JVM is far more versatile than the Dual Rec, and it's tone kills the Boogie. I'm not familiar with Orange amps. I can't see how you would be disappointed with the JVM.

To Big Dooly's point about the knobs. This is an interesting point, many people (who are used to 6 knobs) do complain about the JVM having too many. Funny thing is, the JVM has 4 channels, each channel has 6 knobs, so really you got the same 6 knobs, it's not like you need to adjust all 24 knobs for each channel. Get what I mean?

After 5 min of using the amp you'll realize it's not at all complicated, that amp does so many Marshall tones, you got the 2203, 2203 hot rodded, 1959, JTM 45 plus the new JVM Marshall tones.

I can't see someone plugging in and not liking it, I just can't. That's me.

Good luck with your purchase.

jag-man

Reaction score
Actually on the JVM you're using 8 knobs at the same time (9 if you have the reverb on) and they are the same knobs on a 2203, plus the channel volume and the resonance (and the reverb if you are using it)... There is nothing complicated on a JVM!!
By the way, back on topic... For a punk tone i'd personally use OD2 orange because my pickups are veeery low output even if they are humbuckers... But maybe you can get away with OD2 green with your guitar ;)

Crunchcity

Reaction score
But "Pop-punk" is. Pop punk is not punk.

I agree, "pop punk" is a very specific produced sound imo.

I have an idea of the amp(s) involved, not a JVM 410H. :hmm:

But to the OP, it depends on how picky you are really.

Last edited:

Thedec

Reaction score
well no body has suggested any other amps you see i think this one may be the one due to the fact its apparently nice at low volumes plus i would like more that two Chanels but if there are any other amp suggestions i would be grateful?

but thanks guys so far been consistent thanks

oh and by the way just if any one was wondering im gonna be using a custom tele fmt , and a Gibson LP 2008 standard and a Parkwood H2 and a mexician tele through the amp i hope the gibson tears it up

JayCM800

Reaction score
If you know how to play a "powerchord", there you have your punk!

JCM800 2203X
VM 2466
JVM210H
DSL100

They're all great Marshalls! Try them all and choose the one that goes best with your "punk".

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
For pop punk, its more of an 'American' sound, right? (I suppose :hmm:) Like Mesas. Would a JVM do the job? (Those who have the experience, I never tried one)

Thedec

Reaction score
hey guys sorry to keep going on what cab do you guys recommend with this amp

and still actual settings would be nice if any of you own one of these ?

cheers for all the help

Wiseblood

Reaction score
Any Marshall 1960 cab will do, whether they have G12T-75's, or the 70's or the V30's - you'll be good.

Honestly, put all the controls at 5 (12 o'clock) and then adjust the channel volumes and master volumes to suite your need volume wise. Then go through each mode and see which "voice" you prefer, there are 4 channels and 3 modes in each, so you have 12 options. Once you find the one that sounds best to you then fine tune the EQ knobs. I know it sounds generic but this really actually is good advise.

A JVM is a sure thing only because you have so many modes within so your bound to find your tone. But honestly you'd be good with a DSL which is like half the price of a JVM.