Can't play guitar, what can I do?

• Thread starter Jesstaa
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jesstaa

Reaction score
Wow, I've been posting alot of threads on this forum, but that's just cause I like the advice I get here, and the threads are much longer lived than that on Ultimate-Guitar (The only other internet forum I use).

So anyway, I've done damage to my hands, what I believe is tendinitis on my index finger on my right hand (Hurts when I play, and is getting worse) and carpal tunnel on my left hand (Don't wanna stir it up any more) so I've decided to do the hard thing, and give up guitar for like 3 - 5 days.

I've done this before without too much hassle, but here's my problem now;
It's school holidays, so I have nothing to do, I've got alot of shit going on in my life at the moment, and so if I'm not doing something to keep my mind off it, it starts to get to me. And for the first time, I've begun getting really good at guitar really quick. So in the last few days, I've basically become dependant on playing guitar.

I may sound like a whiney teen, but as I said, stuffs really getting to me and I need something to do, I can't go hang out with my friends, because all my male my friends are off doing stuff, and I'm kinda in an awkward position with the 2 female friends I have contact with at the moment.

Any suggestions are helpful, thanks guys. :dude:

Dino

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this Jess.
Maybe you can take advantage of the "time off" to study some music theory?
Just a thought. :)

Jesstaa

Reaction score
I'm not much of a fan for theory, I just play. Anything I research is more the actually instruments and amplifiers.

But here's the good news, over on Ultimate-Guitar, I found a very helpful chap who pointed out an issue and helped rectify my situation, I still have some issues, but it no longer affects my playing, and I feel safe to progress. =)

Dino

Reaction score
I'm not much of a fan for theory, I just play. Anything I research is more the actually instruments and amplifiers.

But here's the good news, over on Ultimate-Guitar, I found a very helpful chap who pointed out an issue and helped rectify my situation, I still have some issues, but it no longer affects my playing, and I feel safe to progress. =)

Whoa ... just be careful not to do any more damage! :(

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I couldn't play guitar I'd sell all my gear and get a Harley, just ride around getting hammered and banging sluts...

Either that or join the Army. Killing and carnal pleasure are pretty much one in the same.

Or I'd cut my grass and clean my pad for once...

Hope you don't have to go long without playing, that sucks. Easy on those paws, they gotta last you.

dmnall

Reaction score
I would say take the time off and to let your hands get better.. Don't try to push yourself when it hurts stop because you can do permanent damage..

Cheers,
Charlie

luekemeyer

Reaction score
See a doctor and consider getting surgery if needed. I have seen several people have surgery and they are much better afterwards. It will only get worse as you get older.
Hope everything works out for you..:fingersx:

carnada

Reaction score

Part of being a musician is knowing theory. I bet all your favorite musicians know their theory. If you dont learn theory, you will always feel like a noob even though you have been playing for like 5 years

Okay so goin to the medical part....I really recommend to not use the computer for atleast a week. Tendonitis is a common "decease" these days. try to not do much clicks on the mouse, so just stop using your pc for like a week or 2 and then, if you got any video games or something, just stop playing that too.

Jesstaa

Reaction score
Part of being a musician is knowing theory. I bet all your favorite musicians know their theory. If you dont learn theory, you will always feel like a noob even though you have been playing for like 5 years

Okay so goin to the medical part....I really recommend to not use the computer for atleast a week. Tendonitis is a common "decease" these days. try to not do much clicks on the mouse, so just stop using your pc for like a week or 2 and then, if you got any video games or something, just stop playing that too.

I don't do much other than play guitar and do shit on the computer.

Edit: Favourite musician - Dave Mustaine, doesn't know squat about theory lol.

Jesstaa

Reaction score
Sounds like a pretty good life.

Sounds like, isn't really. I'd prefer to get out more lol. I mean, guitar and computer are fun, but I'm starting to get fat and lazy lol.

Also, two very expensive things, I'm wanting more expensive guitars and amps because I spend so much time with the items.

Publius

Reaction score
Hey Jess about 15 years ago I got that (I can't even spell it) tendinitis it kept me for about 2 months without touching or looking at my guitar but I've learned that practicing for 8 hours straight will ruin more than your social life.

Your life does seem to be great, you lazy bones. Here's a list of what you can do with your free time

1. Get a life (Sorry if I offend you, I really am but there's more in life guitar and amps)
2. Try to learn some theory if not just take a glance of it, its the foundations of your music
3. Learn more on writing and orchestrating music
4. Learn more on recording and producing music. Nowadays you can do much just with a computer. Software can simulate the sound of drums almost perfectly so with a computer a guitar and bass you will be able to record your own music...when you get well
5. Try to go out more and walk, my advice to all my friends which I am not able to follow nowadays. When I started to systematically walk for an hour a day I had a load of albums on my iPod. Each day I was listening on just one album, I believe that walking made listen to more 300 albums both studio and live. It'll do you good but mind your hearing.

If you can't use your body, use your mind!

Jesstaa

Reaction score
Lol, my mind fails.

I want to be more social, but as I said, I'm isolated, 20km from town and no busses, I'd have to call a taxi, and I don't have a job. Lol.

I'd rather just get really good at playing than hang out with my friends anyway, they get annoying, and one of my mates wants me to join his band, so I gotta learn a lot of songs really quick.

Latest posts