Cap job?

• Thread starter SeanMichael
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

damienbeale

Reaction score
Yes. They take a little while for an electrical path to settle. Certainly the first few hours will sound markedly different, and often thin and lacking punch.

SeanMichael

Reaction score
Can I just throw a CD player in front of it with the volume down for a few hours to kinda break them in?

damienbeale

Reaction score
Absolutely. It will help, but not completely, since the lack of volume will render the discharge cycles of the caps close to non-existent.

SeanMichael

Reaction score
Alright, thank you much for the help Damien, and everyone who has contributed to helping this kid out :D

damienbeale

Reaction score
F&T's are what most people use for standard filter cap cans, but I prefer ARS and they're usually cheaper too.

Also, if you can stomach undoing the nuts on all the pots and lifting the PCB up, it's well worth changing the 2 electrolytics in the bias circuit too. 10uF 160V axials. Risk of bias voltage failure is not an option you want in your amp. ;)

SeanMichael

Reaction score
So, If I were to do a complete cap job on the amp, what types would I need? How many of each? etc...

What do I need to look for, basically. My father is experienced in electronics and would be able to assist me in this endeavor.

damienbeale

Reaction score
Just the two 10uF's above (Rifa or Vishay would be best), and three dual section 50uF/50uF 500V can caps (ARS, F&T, Ampmedic, preferably NOT JJ).
Easy job, just make sure he safely discharges the caps before touching anything. ;)

Nudge68

Reaction score
I have 7 units from 69 - 77. All components ex one resistor in a '69 are original.

Other than a '77 1959, these all sound awesome. That's not to say all units wouldn't sound better with a complete cap job :yesway:

Without blinking, would you replace all the caps? OK, no one would drive a '70 Ford Falcon with the original oil filter and battery. But bugger me, the tone. Why muck about with it? :hbang:

cheers,

Matt.