Cardboard boxes? Really?

• Thread starter Goes211
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

frankyfal

Reaction score
I ditch the box as soon as my 30 day return period is over.

Gianni

Reaction score
I sent my YJM100 back for warrantee service in it's original mint condition box, it returned in a ratty looking box with "EVH 5150" on the side.

I was furious at the time! Oh well...

CardboardCats.jpg

klaatutooyou

Reaction score
that's amazing ne never misses . he could play a dsl . ( jus kidding )

Sournote

Reaction score
I have room in my basement, so I've kept a few larger boxes for guitars and amps I've bought. At first the thinking was if I decided not to keep it, then I thought well if I ever have to ship the amp for warranty work, I'd need the original box then the pile got a little bigger and it just became laziness as throwing them out would involve work, but if I ever sell to a cork sniffer, I'll tell them they can have the original box but there will be a 25% price premium for the original "corrugated enclosure".

I guess some of my penchant comes from Firearms collecting where the box does make a huge difference in the value of some firearms.

klaatutooyou

Reaction score
sure I agree there .I keep certain boxes like for my sennheisers and such that have boxes of some substance . but just cardboard .
heck down here in keywest it would just be termite desert .:applause:

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
My father-in-law had an HDMI board go out on his $2,700 Onkyo receiver. They told him to ship it to the nearest authorized repair center under warranty and everything would be taken care of, no problem. So he throws it in a box his microwave came in with nothing more than packing peanuts and empty space and ships it off. It arrived a few states over in more pieces than it went out in. UPS denied the damage claim and he was out $2,700. Mortal of the story? Keep the box.

poeman33

Reaction score
I put the original receipt in the box, and store the box. If I do sell it...the new owner has proof that I bought it new, where I bought it, and for how much. It gives them confidence I am not bull****ting them, or that it is stolen. It certainly has sealed the deal more than once.

frankyfal

Reaction score
Hey. Save the cat pics for the Line 6 board okay?

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
boxes can be useful :applause:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABrSYqiqvzc[/ame]

and while we're at it-

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUn-xKbBDxE[/ame]

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
I apologize for the rant...

I'm attempting to sell an amp and I'm shocked by the number of guitar "players" who are worried about whether or not I have the "original box" for the amp. I know there are those out there who obsess over "case candy" (the silliest term on the Web) and the like, but I just don't get it.

I've never once bought an amp, new or used, that came in a box. The idea of such a thing never even occurs to me. It's a cardboard box. In fact, I'm not even sure what the box is that they're talking about. I used to work for a Fender dealer, and the amps were shipped in cardboard boxes that we unpacked and threw away. Is this what guys want? The shipping boxes? The cardboard shipping boxes? Does the box make the amp more valuable, like your mint Luke Skywalker action figure that's still sealed in the package?

Forgive me, but I buy amps and guitars to play, so I guess I'm somewhat clueless on the whole cardboard box thing.

Yes.

But also consider other possible reasons: maybe they want to be sure you're shipping it in a proper box, maybe they want it in case they resell it, etc. That box can come in handy, not to mention that it's a bit of a charm to know that you have very single item associated with your product 20 years later.

Some people buy things and store them. I myself considered buying a second SL5 NIB and storing it unopened for some imaginary future magical day. But that's kinda silly. Now if you had a mint 1959 Les Paul with all the case candy AND the original Gibson shipping box, I could easily see that box adding a couple thousand to the selling price.

atarilovesyou

Reaction score
....wut?

Sorry, I was too busy sniffing corks to bother with anything in this thread after my own post :D

JAC

Reaction score
I hear you man but............................I have three of the boxes of my four Marshall amps I have. I wish I had the box to my C5H but, I don't!

Latest posts