• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Celestion Creamback G12M-65 Bright

• Thread starter littlewyan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I have 2 4x12s (all solid birch) loaded with older auK made greenies and 1 2x12 loaded with the G12M 65 Creambacks and they all sound very close to each other regardless of the amp and I do not find any of them bright at all. I ay LPs and I usually have the tone on the brigde set to around 6-7 depending.

I also have them in all of my combos and love them, once again, not bright at all.

littlewyan

Reaction score
Hang on, are your Creambacks UK made? As production has been moved to China now which are where mine came from. I also know the design changed slightly a few times the first year they came out.

Kutt

Reaction score
I just got my four Creambacks in October of this year. They are U.K. made. If Celestion did in fact move production on them to China, it would have been very, very recently. I contacted Celestion when I purchased them specifically to find out where they are made. There was no mention of China at the time.

You may be on to something...

:ugh:

Edit- Here is the thread with date stamps:

##

To:
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 4:44 AM
Subject: RE: Creamback inquiry

Hi - the Creambacks are made in the UK.

Regards,

The Doc
Dr. Decibel, Celestion, Claydon Business Park, Great Blakenham, Ipswich IP6 0NL, UK
+44 (0)1473 835300; drdecibel@celestion.com; www.celestion.com
Facebook.com/Celestion
Find tone samples here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2B5D46028A98E612

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 16 September 2015 01:56
To: drdecibel
Subject: Creamback inquiry

Could you please tell me if your Creambacks are currently manufactured in the U.K., or elsewhere?

Thank you

##

Kutt

Reaction score
Hmm mine have Celestion International written on them.

I just went through all this recently because I never bothered to swap and test speakers until a few months back (hence my road to the Creambacks).

Basically, if it's modern production, which these are, and it doesn't explicitly read "Made in U.K." or something else explicitly similar, it is not made in the U.K.. I went 9 rounds with a quad of G12T-75s trying to iron the same thing out after getting bad information from U.S. Music/Marshall. Turned out they are Made in China as confirmed by Celestion.

Can you post a picture of the label, or is the cab all buttoned up and a pain in the backside to get to?

Blueslicks

Reaction score
Hmm mine have Celestion International written on them.

There should be a white sticker on the frame or magnet cap that has either "Made in UK" on it or "Made in China" or alternately it will have a numerical code of "50" which also means "Made in China".

That said...the 1936 cab is not a straight projection cab at all. The baffle inside is actually angled a bit almost like the top of an A cab baffle, just not as sloped. You can try turning the cab upside down to reverse the projection towards the floor and alleviate sonic beam.

Attachments

• uk.jpg
    uk.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 17
  • china.jpg
    china.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 19

Blueslicks

Reaction score
I took a photo of them before putting the back on :).

And if you weren't already aware...

That looks (unless my bad eyesight is worse than I thought) to be a 100%
MDF constructed cab.

I recommend getting a birch ply cab if it is MDF. A ply cab will sound much better regardless of your speaker woes IMO.

Kutt

Reaction score
- We'd need the pic of the white label as Blueslicks notes to be certain on country of origin.

- The MDF thing is another whole can of worms (I was hoping we weren't gonna go there :). My guess is that is not related to brightening the tone any where near as much as littlewyan states.

Kutt

Reaction score
Oh! And!

I just noticed that you've got 8 ohm Creambacks installed. Not sure if this is related or not, but I too have a 1936 cab and it came stock with two 16 ohm speakers (G12T-75s). They are wired from the factory in parallel because it's an 8 ohm cab in mono.

If you wired in two 8 ohm speakers in the same parallel fashion as the stock speakers, I think it's now a 4 ohm cab in mono. Might be worth testing their output impedance with a multimeter if you have one and link up your amp accordingly.

Anyone else... please correct me if I'm wrong.

littlewyan

Reaction score
I'll have to look at the sticker later on when I can take the back off. I thought UK speakers said Made in England on the back and China made speakers had Celestion International on them.

As for the wiring I redid the wiring in this cab so I can go between parallel and series wiring.

I must admit I didn't know the cab was made of MDF. I knew these cabs varied over the years but never thought to look at what mine was. Mine is a slightly older cab as its a JCM900 Cab.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I took a photo of them before putting the back on :).

This looks like a 1936 2X12 cab correct? It looks just like my 2X12 and is MDF. To be honest, I don't hear any difference between the MDF cab and the solid birch cabs however, if I had a choice I would by the birch just because. As far as I know, all G12M-65 Creambacks are made in England/UK.

Copperheadroads

Reaction score

RobS

Reaction score
Yeah but a 4x12 Slant is quite different compared to a 2x12 straight. I'll give them another go today. Can you safely play bass through guitar speakers? I plugged a bass into my Marshall AVT20 years ago and it did not sound good for the speaker at all.

you dont play the bass at full tilt, just enough(within reason) to get the speakers moving.

your ears will let you know what is too much.

did it to mine and they are fine

neikeel

Reaction score
you dont play the bass at full tilt, just enough(within reason) to get the speakers moving.

your ears will let you know what is too much.

did it to mine and they are fine

I ran my G12hs in a 4x12 through the slave output of our bass players Ashdown 300w combo at a couple of gigs. That way is shared the output from the amp for 3 hours or so for two nights. It just helped knock the 'sharp edges' off the tone.

littlewyan

Reaction score
Well I just took the back off the cab and can confirm these speakers are made in the UK. So sorry about that! I also just tried playing through the cab without the back on and its a huge improvement. If I put the back of the cab on then it just sounds crap to my ears. The high end dominates the lower mids. I think I might look at selling these on Ebay.

I've looked at the WGS Speakers and where they are all reasonably priced they are also very efficient. I moved to the Creambacks for the Greenback Tone and the lower efficiency. I'm going to see how much the Scumback M75s are. They're on sale at the moment for $119 each but I'm just waiting for Jim to come back to me about the shipping costs.

I might see if I can take my amp to my rehearsal space first though to try it out. See if a much bigger room makes a difference. Plus considering I mostly play my amp in that rehearsal room and not at home it will be a better test.

littlewyan

Reaction score
Dam, shipping is $111 for the Scumbacks and duty/tax will be on top of that. Man I think those speakers would be perfect as well.