Celestion G12T-75 opinions...

• Thread starter shades of blue
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rick16v

Reaction score
I''d like to agree being a good combo with a V30 but the g12t-75 may only being filling in a void being that the V-30 being 3db louder which is noticeably louder

I don't really understand what you mean here? I have this combination in 2 of my cabs and it sounds great.

Are you saying that hypothetically you don't like this speaker mix?

Coronado

Reaction score
Love the 75 (from 1982). I put on in a Fender Deluxe 1x12 cab (ISO cab) for recording.

McNamara

Reaction score
I've played my 2204 through three different cabinets, all 4x12s.

1) Avatar with Vintage 30s
2) Line 6 with unknown 75W speakers
3) Marshall 1960A with G12T75s

It sounded increasingly better in that order. Yes, even the cheap Line 6 cab sounded way better than the Vintage 30s. I vastly prefer T75s to V30s. I really can't stand an excess of high mids, regardless of whether I'm playing classic rock, blues, or metal.

EL 34

Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts on these? I've got a set in my 1936 2x12, and while the cab sounds great, these speakers sound a little harsh and brittle in the top end.

Is that most people's experience?
i don't like them as i find them too mid scooped sounding. i used them for years in a 1936 as well and i thought they were fine until i used greenbacks and marshall/celestion vintages. the vintage speakers are way better. there's a 1936V with vintage speakers. the 2536 is the same.

BrentD

Reaction score
Ima pile on here. I don't have the room for multiple cabs, so at the moment I don't have 75s. But I think they are a great all-around speaker. They're a little scooped compared to Greenbacks or V30s, but they are fairly versatile in my experience. They are also very reliable and, because they get a bad rap from some and are the standard "everywhere" Marshall speaker, they are inexpensive.

Kris Ford

Reaction score
I have 16 of them, a very first year '84 quad, a '93 quad, a '01 quad, and a '10 quad..which seems to be a set from every generation..I love them! GREAT match for a Super Lead and my 2203 sounds great through them too!

Being a gain freak, these take it and beg for more!!

Was VERY pleased with the results when I put the '01 quad in my '78 cab..sounds great!! Like tight and chunky, that is paired with the '11 set in a 1960AX cab, and I can dispel the myth that the Chinese is inferior, at least the set I have surely isn't, actually, they get played the most, if that means anything...could NOT tell them apart to be 100% honest. All WELL broken in.

Not scooped either, though I do peg my mids..

johan.b

Reaction score
I never really heard the famous 'scoop' in the same way lots of people refer to it. Its not nearly as aggressive as it's made out to be IMO.
..it's the V30 crowd...They turn the mid down so the V30 gets tolerable, then they think everything else is mid scooped

EL 34

Reaction score
the T in the G12T-75 stands for Treble. celestion's attempt at it may have made it sound mid supressed to my tastes.

i did an A/B comparo at my jam studio and the difference is quite noticeable. the vintage has a heavier magnet as well so it can push out tunes without coloring them. it's just a transparent sounding speaker. celestion say they will show your mistakes. playing clean at low volumes through my 800 or 1987 and vintage speakers, it sounds similar to the acoustic sound from the guitars, live.

with boss guitars, pickups and amps i don't want the speakers to mess with the signal chain.