Celestion G12T-75 opinions...

• Thread starter shades of blue
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shades of blue

Reaction score
That's my experience as well. they take YEARS of heavy use to break in well but once they do they sound great with the right amps.

Just a word on that, I have played AC15's for years and just always found them disgustingly harsh and bright with various speakers. Then, I got the new AC15c1 with the Greenback and it's like night and day over the previous AC15's I've played. Surely they didn't totally redesign the Vox with the AC15c1.

My point is that I don't want to wait years for a speaker to break in, and I'm never going to be playing it loud enough to break it in anyways so it may never break in fully to that point. No disrespect intended, just stating my POV.

Got my Creambacks on the way and I'm looking forward to hearing them.

Ken

Reaction score
That's my experience as well. they take YEARS of heavy use to break in well but once they do they sound great with the right amps.

Years? :wow:
That sounds like a violin, or scotch or something!!

I've never had to break in new speakers as my cabs were all over 20 years old and gigged heavily when I bought them. I know speakers get better with age, but I would hope 20 hours or so on new G12T-75s would be enough so they sound okay at worst, and they should get better in time. I like them even though I don't use them.

Ken

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
You know, I bought a brand-new 1960A without having even tried it out at a Guitar Center. And it sounds bad-ass. Do you want to know what i did?

I TURNED THE F***ING TREBLE KNOB DOWN!

To this day, I still don't get HOW that simple statement is so f***ing hard to understand for some people. When I play on an amp through Vintage 30s...take a wild guess what I do with those.

I turn the MIDs down. Yes, I do.

Learn to EQ your amps for your speakers, people. If you don't know how to use an amp, you shouldn't have the amp. PERIOD.

Now will people please quit bashing perfectly good speakers in here? You notice I don't call Eminence Swamp Things garbage. I've never played them. I don't know.

I have a quad of 75s, no issues here...
I haven't tried sufficient amps to speak for all of them, but the louder I crank my Orange AD30, the less the EQ affects the sound. If I have the amp FULL blast, the EQ doesn't do much, the amp is wide open, and I guess the powertubes and transformer is when they become more evident at this point, how they sound/interact I guess...

Now if you're using lower volumes, by 'turning down the treble' it can help tame it a bit, but it's still not the same. It helps of course! But if you're diming the amp and the EQ isn't realy affecting the signal much, your last options for "shaping" the sound that you have is the speakers.

Marshallmadness

Reaction score
I have had both v-30 and g12-t75. I like the v-30's better. For me they had a better hard hitting bottom end punch and the sound was more balanced. I actually thought the v-30 had less midrange sound unless you wanted them to have more.

rmlevasseur

Reaction score
I find the earlier comment about just learning how to use your eq to match you amp to your speakers to be quite inadequate. I dont think anyone needs instruction that bright speakers might need a roll down on the treble. But when judging speakers response time/articulation is as important as the frequency response.
My primary beef with the 75's is just that...they seem, well, slow. The notes dont jump off the speakers like my greenbacks. Fine for loud, fast power chords, but roll off the guitar volume for anything articulate or bluesy and the magic is gone.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not like them ...period.
If any of you 75 fans in the USA want a good pair from out of a 1966 cab,I'll trade ya for some Chinese greenys....

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet you would...considering that Greenbacks run twice the price of G12T-75s. -.-

? I dont know . I see Chinese greenbacks not goin for more than 70 bucks
I just know, from this and other threads ,there are fans of speakers like 75's & V-30s here ...not me, but we help each other out sometimes .

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
i love 'em in my jcm800 4211.....seem to suit the open back cab nicely...

That's a great amp you've got there, 12 months since I sold mine. I miss it's tone when it was working well but it developed issues even the Marshall factory couldn't cure. You're right, nothing wrong with the 75's in that amp. Now add a 2 x 12 extension cab with V30's in to hear what Marshall's sound like in heaven. :dude: Used to use it as a cab for my DSL too :thumb:

georgiatec-albums-new-amps-picture4948-800-2000.jpg

Strateuphoria

Reaction score
I don't like them, but I prefer it over the 3k hi mid spike of a V30,
I like G12H65's or greenbacks or even some Jensens.

kamran

Reaction score
i was never a huge fan of 75s. i would never hate on them cause i know they can sound awesome. i got a 1960A loaded with them (it was a great deal and it was better than my previous A cab) and while i didn't have anything bad to say about it, it never stuck me as phenomenal like the V30s in my avatar did. a little less life to them and they just didn't cut as well in my band.

it wasn't until i got my super lead that things changed. it took a few weeks of blasting through that cab with my cranked up 1959 for the speakers to start breaking in, without me even realizing it. one day i just noticed that it didn't have the metallic lifelessness to it any more, just juicy classic marshall crunch. i would still say that it has a mid scoop, and i still prefer my V30s to it, but they've really grown on me. they just take an INSANE amount of abuse to break in. maybe ill loan it to my bass player for a week and see if it makes them even sweeter.

J. Burns

Reaction score
Do not like. I've tried new ones, I've tried older ones, they just don't work for me. I've tried turning the mids up, I've tried turning the treble down, and it just ain't happening.

I guess if you don't have any speakers around, 75's will do, I guess.

Rozman62

Reaction score
It does not take years to break in 75's. After 30+ hours they should smooth out. Trimming down the treble on '75's and mids on V30's is just common sense. It works for some and not others. Not my 1st choice in speakers but when mixed with V30's sound very balanced.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts on these? I've got a set in my 1936 2x12, and while the cab sounds great, these speakers sound a little harsh and brittle in the top end.

Is that most people's experience?

I had them in a stock 1936 and thought they sounded great. I prefer V30's, so I can recommend giving one a try: using both has become a classic combination these days. If you really like the V30's on their own as I do, using two might be even better.

Actually, Marshall does something similar for a JVM version.

Reckless_Life

Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts on these? I've got a set in my 1936 2x12, and while the cab sounds great, these speakers sound a little harsh and brittle in the top end.

Is that most people's experience?

My amp has EQ knobs that allow me to adjust/lower the treble.
Aside from that, the type of pickups can also make a difference.
It's usually a combination of various things that either add or take away from the sound.

bdubbs

Reaction score
I like the marshall v30s. I have cabs with both. The highs aren't actually the tough part for me with the 75s. Its all teh bass. You have to reign in that bass enough to not boom but stay thick. That can be a little tough. I find the marshall V30s thicker.

Karloff

Reaction score
You know, I bought a brand-new 1960A without having even tried it out at a Guitar Center. And it sounds bad-ass. Do you want to know what i did?

I TURNED THE F***ING TREBLE KNOB DOWN!

To this day, I still don't get HOW that simple statement is so f***ing hard to understand for some people. When I play on an amp through Vintage 30s...take a wild guess what I do with those.

I turn the MIDs down. Yes, I do.

Learn to EQ your amps for your speakers, people. If you don't know how to use an amp, you shouldn't have the amp. PERIOD.

Now will people please quit bashing perfectly good speakers in here? You notice I don't call Eminence Swamp Things garbage. I've never played them. I don't know.

LOL ! I like this guy... yep, thats what all those little knobs are for on that thing. I bought a DSL50 1/2 stack 8 yrs ago without trying it out. got it home hooked it up and spent about 10 minutes tweaking it till I got what I like. first things i twisted to the left was the treble and presence, then backed off the mid till it was where I wanted it... adjust.