• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Ceriatone, Getting close.....

• Thread starter ampeq
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

johan.b

Reaction score
I’m about to build a 5e3 type amp. Everything about it will be 5e3 but I’m going to loose the cathodyne phase inverter and use a long tailed pair.
I realise your post above is going on 9 months old, but if you've not done it yet, may I suggest...50s gibson style paraphase... it works great with the 5e3 front end and is oh soo sweet going into overdrive.. and it'll give you major vintage amp mojo. Can be done on the 5e3 board using the connections already in place...
J

ampeq

Reaction score
Thanks for the info man. I'm going to put your advice to practice. Been building pedals for a little while now and have opened up a couple of amps and done a quick fix or two, but haven't done a full kit yet. I thought I'd order and amp to have and play -- and maybe mod -- then decide on a kit to build. For months now I've been reading/watching what I can about tube stuff, trying to retain little bits of knowledge here and there. My lack tube science and troubleshooting knowledge dealing with tubes is what has been holding me back in case I made a mistake, but I only learn by doing so I should get on it.

Regarding the AH and KK... I have both amps now and they are both pretty good. The KK is closer to what I'm looking for though. I'd ideally like to start with some mods to these amps to get some more experience. I've spent days looking over the AH/Yeti/Chupa layouts comparing them. When I look at the Yeti and Chupa layouts, it looks like the main difference is just the plate and cathode resistors/caps in the preamp.

If the KK is a Yeti on channel 2, can I just swap out the 1uF/3K on the cathode bypass back to .68uF/2.7k-10k? Maybe drop the plates to 330k?
Can I just play with those plate and cathode values and not worry about causing something unwanted down the circuit?

I'm looking for mods that gives more bite/hair/kerrang on both of these amps. I lifted the plate bypass 500pf cap on the AH but it could use some more help too.

Saying that, I got these amps for the channel switching and modern features, but a 1987x with a master volume and a boost might probably be what I am looking for in the end run.
Hi Mjh36, I have both a 100w Chupa & 100w KK. I had Nik wire the drive ch of the KK like the Chupa which it is very close too. (There is just something about the Chupacabra that makes you want to blow the windows out of your house with it.) The Chupa is brighter and seems more "in your face" than the Yeti so I went with it. The KK just has so much to offer, the boost alone is fantastic with the ERA switch. And the so called "clean ch" can sound pretty mean with a great over all tone. I got both with the idea of selling one of them, however I just can't seem to bring myself to do it!

Mjh36

Reaction score
For more bite or kerrang, rework the depth NFB to cameronize it. Try a depth control like this. You can exclude the 3 way and just solder a 33-39k in series with the 2200pf. As for the the NFB resistor, the higher the value, the brighter/edgier it will be. 100k is a good starting point for a 100w amp.

Thanks for that info I will put that into use. Yeah I've been slacking on getting this project going. Even though I complained about the AH Deluxe it's actually the one I play the most, I barely turn on the KK, mainly out of convenience of what I was plugged into last. I guess my ears have "settled" a little with the AH, or more like I learned not to care about it so much once I lifted the 500pf bypass cap. But I will get a parts list ordered soon and definitely revisit the depth and NFB like you mentioned. This is the current setup on the AH.

deluxe.jpg

Mjh36

Reaction score
Hi Mjh36, I have both a 100w Chupa & 100w KK. I had Nik wire the drive ch of the KK like the Chupa which it is very close too. (There is just something about the Chupacabra that makes you want to blow the windows out of your house with it.) The Chupa is brighter and seems more "in your face" than the Yeti so I went with it. The KK just has so much to offer, the boost alone is fantastic with the ERA switch. And the so called "clean ch" can sound pretty mean with a great over all tone. I got both with the idea of selling one of them, however I just can't seem to bring myself to do it!
I hear ya. I bought the KK with intent of offloading either it or the AH once I did an a/b test. Still have both.

ampeq

Reaction score
I hear ya. I bought the KK with intent of offloading either it or the AH once I did an a/b test. Still have both.
Did you have Nik change anything in the KK or is it stock? If stock is it a true Yeti like they say? I really like the clean ch, I go to it more than the dirt ch for quick dubbing around and for testing effects. I really like the tone of it, as well as the versatility. I think a lot of people that need a channel switcher amp would be very pleasantly surprised with a KK. I also wish I knew about the boost switch With ERA switch, I would love to have a Chupa with one in it. Please keep us posted what you do and haw it sounds as you go along. I wish you all the best with those beauties and hope they last forever.

Mjh36

Reaction score
Did you have Nik change anything in the KK or is it stock? If stock is it a true Yeti like they say? I really like the clean ch, I go to it more than the dirt ch for quick dubbing around and for testing effects. I really like the tone of it, as well as the versatility. I think a lot of people that need a channel switcher amp would be very pleasantly surprised with a KK. I also wish I knew about the boost switch With ERA switch, I would love to have a Chupa with one in it. Please keep us posted what you do and haw it sounds as you go along. I wish you all the best with those beauties and hope they last forever.
I believe it's just a stock KK. Bought it off of Rerverb from a guy that didn't end up liking it after he got it delivered. I have not played a Yeti, so I'm just going off what I've read about that channel. The clean channel is lovely I agree and I love it cranked as well. Just a great channel.

One bad thing was I bought it being told it had the buffered loop installed, but that was not the case, it is just a passive loop. I was able to work with the seller about it though and get a little discount which was nice of him. I wouldn't have bought it had I known it was the regular passive loop. So that's also something I'll end up doing here soon if I don't end up selling it.

ampeq

Reaction score
I believe it's just a stock KK. Bought it off of Rerverb from a guy that didn't end up liking it after he got it delivered. I have not played a Yeti, so I'm just going off what I've read about that channel. The clean channel is lovely I agree and I love it cranked as well. Just a great channel.

One bad thing was I bought it being told it had the buffered loop installed, but that was not the case, it is just a passive loop. I was able to work with the seller about it though and get a little discount which was nice of him. I wouldn't have bought it had I known it was the regular passive loop. So that's also something I'll end up doing here soon if I don't end up selling it.
I think if you email Nik and tell him you would like a buffered loop for that amp he would sell you the one you need and tell you how to install it. They are not a lot of money. I only had them put in my two new amps “just because”, not sure if I even need them. I never had any problems with the standard ones in my 50w Chupa.

pwrmac7600

Reaction score
Well I fell into it again.....
Last year I received my Ceriatone AH100 Deluxe, and I am still loving this amp to pieces.
BUT.... I got the bug again, so i just commissioned another build from Nik.
This time around I am ordering up something a bit custom. I have been hearing a lot of clips of the Headfirst Cali, and I fell in love with it. So I reached out to Nik and had a conversation with him about it. He made me aware that the Chupa was pretty much the same amp, he stated he could alter the values to match the Headfirst Cali layout I provided him and it should be pretty damn close. Biggest difference being this will only be a single channel amp, as opposed to the cali being multi channel.

Last edited:

ampeq

Reaction score
Well I fell into it again.....
Last year I received my Ceriatone AH100 Deluxe, and I am still loving this amp to pieces.
BUT.... I got the bug again, so i just commissioned another build from Nik.
This time around I am ordering up something a bit custom. I have been hearing a lot of clips of the Headfirst Cali, and I fell in love with it. So I reached out to Nik and had a conversation with him about it. He made me aware that the Chupa was pretty much the same amp, he stated he could alter the values to match the Headfirst Cali layout I provided him and it should be pretty damn close. Biggest difference being this will only be a single channel amp, as opposed to the cali being multi channel.
I can tell you the Chupacabra is a VERY good amp, I have a 100w one with a buffered loop that I just love. I had a stock 50w one first. I also have a 100w King Kong with a buffered loop, 2 ch w/ boost. (The boost has en ERA switch to.) The ERA switch boost would be a great add on to the Chupacabra, ask Nik about it. Good luck with the Chupa it’s a keeper all the way.

Wolvieberzerker

Reaction score
I o
I can tell you the Chupacabra is a VERY good amp, I have a 100w one with a buffered loop that I just love. I had a stock 50w one first. I also have a 100w King Kong with a buffered loop, 2 ch w/ boost. (The boost has en ERA switch to.) The ERA switch boost would be a great add on to the Chupacabra, ask Nik about it. Good luck with the Chupa it’s a keeper all the way.
I ordered a 50 watt chup in March with 6550s. Can’t wait. Was just playing my ceriatone 2204. Thinking there’s nothing that will beat this amp. We shall see.

ampeq

Reaction score
I o

I ordered a 50 watt chup in March with 6550s. Can’t wait. Was just playing my ceriatone 2204. Thinking there’s nothing that will beat this amp. We shall see.
Have you ever tried that foot pedal they sell called the HorseBreaker? The Chupacabra does not need a pedal at all. However I bought a 20w amp from Nik called the 2202, similar to the 2204 but has a few extras in it as well as a very good PPIMV. I also ordered one of these pedals just incase it needed a boost. I normally don't like dirt pedals but this one is very, very good. The Blues Breaker side has a great tone to it with not to much distortion. The Klon side can do a lot of stuff, from very mild dirt to a ton of it. Plus the 2 can be used together with either BB into Klon or Klon into BB, for heavy distortion. Give it a shot if you get the chance.

Wolvieberzerker

Reaction score
Have you ever tried that foot pedal they sell called the HorseBreaker? The Chupacabra does not need a pedal at all. However I bought a 20w amp from Nik called the 2202, similar to the 2204 but has a few extras in it as well as a very good PPIMV. I also ordered one of these pedals just incase it needed a boost. I normally don't like dirt pedals but this one is very, very good. The Blues Breaker side has a great tone to it with not to much distortion. The Klon side can do a lot of stuff, from very mild dirt to a ton of it. Plus the 2 can be used together with either BB into Klon or Klon into BB, for heavy distortion. Give it a shot if you get the chance.
Yes. I have one haha. It’s awesome. I use it through a clean amp for slide and blues playing. Killer pedal

ampeq

Reaction score
LYes. I have one haha. It’s awesome. I use it through a clean amp for slide and blues playing. Killer pedal
Thats great, a lot of people never get to try them and I think they are missing out. I’ve tried all the regular suspects like most folks, TS, Rat, OCD, DS-1, SD-1, but none gave me the tone I was hoping for. This pedal does a great job with the distortion but really shines in the tone department. The 3 amps I have used it on sounded so sweet, plus gave them a real nice lead boost. I think a lot of people would benafit from this pedal it they just gave it a shot. I took a chance with it and it turned out to be fantastic. Enjoy!

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
I o

My 2204 came in today, gotta put in tubes and bias it up and jam! I did get the push pull bright switch that’s supposed to put it into JMP mode. Excited!!!!

I don’t have any old tubes for it unfortunately, I’ve got 4 EH EL34 and hopefully 2 of them are close enough to be a pair. Preamp tubes? I’ve got some EH Russian, some grooveTube JJ, a groove tube shuguang , and a couple PSVane.

I *could* steal the old tubes out of my Peavey VTM, I think they’re Phillips/Sylvania but really not sure.

'2204'

Reaction score
My 2204 came in today, gotta put in tubes and bias it up and jam! I did get the push pull bright switch that’s supposed to put it into JMP mode. Excited!!!!

I don’t have any old tubes for it unfortunately, I’ve got 4 EH EL34 and hopefully 2 of them are close enough to be a pair. Preamp tubes? I’ve got some EH Russian, some grooveTube JJ, a groove tube shuguang , and a couple PSVane.

I *could* steal the old tubes out of my Peavey VTM, I think they’re Phillips/Sylvania but really not sure.
Any chance of posting a clip of your new Ceriatone 2204? I`d love to hear it, esp. the differences with the 3-way bright switch as I am thinking of buying one [even though I have the 2204 as a 1x12 combo.

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
Any chance of posting a clip of your new Ceriatone 2204? I`d love to hear it, esp. the differences with the 3-way bright switch as I am thinking of buying one [even though I have the 2204 as a 1x12 combo.
I will get one up, I do not have a 3 way, it’s just a push pull pot on the pre.

ampeq

Reaction score
I believe that your going to love that Ceriatone Chupa!
Congrats!
I sure do love mine! I had a 50w and from the first power chord I hit I was sold. If it had had a buff. loop I would have just kept it. Now I have a 100w Chupa w/ buff. loop and it NEVER ceases to amaze me. This is the amp I have been searching for my whole life. I also have the 100w King Kong that I like very much, super versatile. I still have a 2202 20w with both head and combo cab. It's basically a JCM 800 with a few extras. To make it sound it's best you need a pedal in front of it. The HorseBreaker pedal works really good with this amp. Mine is as new with a bunch of extra's in it. I would like to sell it if anyone is interested.

pwrmac7600

Reaction score
Question for you guys who have ordered direct from ceriatone before.
I have only ever ordered through guitarampsusa when buying ceriatone. So I never had to deal with paying duty for delivery.
This time i was ordering my chupa with some custom options so i had to order direct via ceriatone, At what point do you pay the duty taxes? I haven't received anything from UPS yet for duty owed, and it appears my amp should be getting delivered this weekend. And the amp is already in the US. So when should i expect a invoice for duty and import taxes?
Any insight would be appreciated.

Latest posts