• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Ceriatone King Kong?

• Thread starter ampeq
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ampeq

Reaction score
I know this is a long shot but does anyone here have a King Kong? I’m thinking about trying one. They are supposed to be like a Yeti but Nik says he can make it a Chupacabra on the dirt side, Plexi on the clean side. I’m going to order a 100w Chupa with a buffered loop and sell my 50w one. But because Nik is to busy to build a custom amp, I think the KK is the next best thing. From what I have seen so far it is close to what I want anyway, however time will tell. One of my fears is Nik may not be able to get the original components that make the Chupa what it is. They are up to 10 months wait time! @#*% #&! Oh well, it will be a good day when it comes. If you don’t know what a KK is, this is it.
http://www.ceriatone.com/hot-rodded-plexi-king-kong-100/

Zado

Reaction score
A Chupa based KK would be indeed interesting. Dont be concerned with components and stuff like that, parts shipping is slow due to covid, but I'd not worry too much about getting a subpar amp in the end.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I know this is a long shot but does anyone here have a King Kong? I’m thinking about trying one. They are supposed to be like a Yeti but Nik says he can make it a Chupacabra on the dirt side, Plexi on the clean side. I’m going to order a 100w Chupa with a buffered loop and sell my 50w one. But because Nik is to busy to build a custom amp, I think the KK is the next best thing. From what I have seen so far it is close to what I want anyway, however time will tell. One of my fears is Nik may not be able to get the original components that make the Chupa what it is. They are up to 10 months wait time! @#*% #&! Oh well, it will be a good day when it comes. If you don’t know what a KK is, this is it.
http://www.ceriatone.com/hot-rodded-plexi-king-kong-100/
Look up @johnfv he has one.

johnfv

Reaction score
Howdy guys! I don't pay much attention here these days but Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays all!

The KK is awesome. My impression is CH2 of the KK is pretty close to Chupa/Yeti but Nik will make them however you want it. Cheers!

ampeq

Reaction score
Howdy guys! I don't pay much attention here these days but Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays all!

The KK is awesome. My impression is CH2 of the KK is pretty close to Chupa/Yeti but Nik will make them however you want it. Cheers!
Thank you very much. I have a 50w Chupacabra which is the best amp I have ever played, by far. I also have a 2202 combo that I love, great grab and go and like the Chupa it can sound good at any volume. I am going to replace my Chupacabra with the 100w one and also a buffered loop. However I want a channel switcher as well. I wanted Nik to custom build me a 2 channel Chupa but he is way to busy. Then I learned about the King Kong which already has a lot of the stuff I want in it. Nik told me it’s basically a Yeti so it will be easy to turn into a Chupacabra on the dirt side. I’m going to give it a shot and order both. If the KK is just like my Chupa I will be very happy to say the least.

johnfv

Reaction score
Beyond being a channel switcher, the KK has the solo master which is like a 3rd channel. For guys like me that like classic rock (lower) gain, CH1 is awesome because it can run nicely clean in plexi ERA mode, but is also super flexible for higher gain ERA modes. And of course you get Nik's outstanding turret board construction. It's difficult to find better amps than Nik's at ANY price IMO.

ampeq

Reaction score
Beyond being a channel switcher, the KK has the solo master which is like a 3rd channel. For guys like me that like classic rock (lower) gain, CH1 is awesome because it can run nicely clean in plexi ERA mode, but is also super flexible for higher gain ERA modes. And of course you get Nik's outstanding turret board construction. It's difficult to find better amps than Nik's at ANY price IMO.
I’m with you, I don’t really even look at other amps anymore. Once you own one of Nik’s amps it’s hard to pay more for less. The solo knob is one of the options I was going to have Nik add to the custom amp I wanted him to make. I think the KK is going to do it for me it seems to already have everything I want. I will have a buffered loop installed though. The main thing I want is the Chupacabra sound, it’s the best Marshall type amp I have ever played. I wish I knew about Jose modded Marshall amps a long time ago, it would have saved me a fortune. It’s also the most versatile amp I’ve owned, it’s crazy how much you can do with these amps. The KK should be even more versatile.

Wolvieberzerker

Reaction score
I’m with you, I don’t really even look at other amps anymore. Once you own one of Nik’s amps it’s hard to pay more for less. The solo knob is one of the options I was going to have Nik add to the custom amp I wanted him to make. I think the KK is going to do it for me it seems to already have everything I want. I will have a buffered loop installed though. The main thing I want is the Chupacabra sound, it’s the best Marshall type amp I have ever played. I wish I knew about Jose modded Marshall amps a long time ago, it would have saved me a fortune. It’s also the most versatile amp I’ve owned, it’s crazy how much you can do with these amps. The KK should be even more versatile.
Same here. I own 3 Ceriatones. I don’t look at Marshall’s anymore. I’d have more but covid has everything backed up. Awesome amps.

ampeq

Reaction score
Same here. I own 3 Ceriatones. I don’t look at Marshall’s anymore. I’d have more but covid has everything backed up. Awesome amps.
Awesome, which ones do you have? I have a Chupa in 50w and a 2202 combo I really like as well. I’m going to replace the Chupa with a 100w head with a buffered loop. Plus get a 100w KK for a channel switcher. These are easy amps to sell also and bring everything you paid for them and more. I sure ain’t used to that.

Wolvieberzerker

Reaction score
Awesome, which ones do you have? I have a Chupa in 50w and a 2202 combo I really like as well. I’m going to replace the Chupa with a 100w head with a buffered loop. Plus get a 100w KK for a channel switcher. These are easy amps to sell also and bring everything you paid for them and more. I sure ain’t used to that.
I’m the guy that has a 2202, 1987 and 2204. All heads. I want a chupa with 6550s. Nik said he’ll do it. But 6 to 8 month wait. Not sure if I’ll be living where I’m living by then. That’s the only reason. Used to be 6 to 8 week build time. And whatever date Nik said it would arrive, it was always early then the date specified. Don’t know how they do it. But they do it. I don’t see myself dealing with anyone else honestly

ampeq

Reaction score
I’m the guy that has a 2202, 1987 and 2204. All heads. I want a chupa with 6550s. Nik said he’ll do it. But 6 to 8 month wait. Not sure if I’ll be living where I’m living by then. That’s the only reason. Used to be 6 to 8 week build time. And whatever date Nik said it would arrive, it was always early then the date specified. Don’t know how they do it. But they do it. I don’t see myself dealing with anyone else honestly
Thats right, you told me about the 2202 and I love the thing. I find it really shines with a WGS Retro 30 and even better with the Retro30 & ET65 together. Fantastic little amp, in mine I had Nik add a choke, buffered loop and NFB switch. Still about $1000 for the combo, talk about a deal! (No speaker) I think I'll just get heads for the Chupa and KK so I can stack them on the same cab. Although it would be nice to have them in a 2-12" combo package with wheels.

Hydreigon

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
ampeq, how different did your KK end up being from your chupacabra? I'm trying to decide between the chupa or KK with chupa preamp but want that chupa sound.

ampeq

Reaction score
ampeq, how different did your KK end up being from your chupacabra? I'm trying to decide between the chupa or KK with chupa preamp but want that chupa sound.
I think it’s the same for the most part. You have settings that can change your sound slightly that are more global, but if you set it up to use the Chupa side first you should be fine. What an amp this thing is though, even the clean side is awesome. In fact I use the clean side as much as the dirt. Which can get pretty dirty with ease. I really like the boost and the fact it has a ERA switch all its own so you can change your lead tone and volume quite a bit. The Chupacabra should have the boost option as well.

As far as the 2 amps go look at it this way, if you like a lot of versatility and switch between different sounds then go with the King Kong. If you’re more of a one sound at a time guy, and only step on a pedal for a lead boost at the most, get the Chupa. People that don’t use a couple different sounds while playing are usually much happier with a simpler setup, and it will still do just about anything you want. Either way you will be very happy. Lead times are way shorter now too.

*get the buffered loop, but see if Nik could put a switch in that you could change what channel was using the effects. Switch should be: Clean - Drive - Both
Also check on the boost if you go with the Chupa.

I hope this helps, please ask any questions you have and I’ll try to help.

Hydreigon

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I originally asked Nik if he could mod the chupa to be a 3 channel, 1 clean and 2 OD but he said they don't offer that so the KK with a chupa preamp was the next best thing. I found your other thread where you go into detail after posting this so that was a good read.

I absolutely love the sound of the clean side, especially in Wan's demo on their youtube channel. Maybe I need to put some of those EMGs in my strat, lol.

The era switch on the solo boost is a cool feature for sure.

I think this amp may turn out somewhat perfect for me!

ampeq

Reaction score
I originally asked Nik if he could mod the chupa to be a 3 channel, 1 clean and 2 OD but he said they don't offer that so the KK with a chupa preamp was the next best thing. I found your other thread where you go into detail after posting this so that was a good read.

I absolutely love the sound of the clean side, especially in Wan's demo on their youtube channel. Maybe I need to put some of those EMGs in my strat, lol.

The era switch on the solo boost is a cool feature for sure.

I think this amp may turn out somewhat perfect for me!
Good luck, I think you’ll really like the KK. It’s by far the best do everything amp I ever played and sounds fantastic in every mode I use. Mine is a 100w, I find 100w amps just sound better to me. Although I really liked my 50w Chupacabra the 100w really shines. I would pull the trigger if you’re ready, email Nik to add what you want and make sure he goes with the Chupa part. When you get it you will be a happy camper. Please let us know how you like it and how the specs you gave worked out.

By the way, Welcome to the Forum!

Hydreigon

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I will be pulling the trigger shortly and will keep you posted. The wait time is currently only 4-6 weeks and that is including getting custom face plates made.

Hydreigon

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finalised my order last night with Nik, very keen!

I got the chupa preamp, buffered FX loop and added a NFB switch.

I'm going to spend the time to understand how these circuits work. If the modern era switch position isn't all that useful to me I will see if I can make it more like an Atomica, maybe that's not possible. We will see.

I also plan on getting a 100w 800 kit and possibly a JTM45/100.

I'm getting new speakers for my peavey quad to go with the kk, currently thinking all et65s at this stage.

Last edited:

ampeq

Reaction score
I finalised my order last night with Nik, very keen!

I got the chupa preamp, buffered FX loop and added a NFB switch.

I'm going to spend the time to understand how these circuits work. If the modern era switch position isn't all that useful to me I will see if I can make it more like an Atomica, maybe that's not possible. We will see.

I also plan on getting a 100w 800 kit and possibly a JTM45/100.

I'm getting new speakers for my peavey quad to go with the kk, currently thinking all et65s at this stage.
Congratulations my friend you're going to love it! Sounds to me like you have set it up to win from the get go. The ERA switch is one of its best features and is like having 3 totally different amps, clean, crunchy and liquid smooth metal. Even the boost has one so you can change your lead tone to either match or contrast your drive rhythm and it works great. I think Friedman uses something like this as well. Study the clean ch well, it can do sooo much, if your a pedal guy it works very nice for that. Then you just use the Chupa side for heavy rhythm & leads. I use an HX Effects and it really shines in the clean side, but for a heavy rhythm I like to hear the amp open up by itself. (And nothing does that better than the Chupacabra.) Did you go with a 100w unit? If you're looking at some others from Nik, I would check out some of the All Access amps they make. The folks here that have them seem to really love them and they are so versatile it's crazy. (How about one of them with a Chupa channel, huh..huh..) Dam it, now I want one. Those ET65's should work very nice, they pair well with their Retro 30 & Veteran 30 speakers to add more high's. I use a V30 & G12h-75 Cream Back or Retro 30 & G12h-75 CB, depending on what the cab likes. *I will tell you with WGS you have to give it a long time to break in. You may not think they are all that great at first, but give them time because they NEED to break in.
Good luck, I can't wait to see how you like it.

FourT6and2

Reaction score

Totally possible. The Atomica, Gargoyle, Chupa, and Yeti are all the same circuit. Just small value changes here and there for voicing. If you're handy with a soldering iron it doesn't matter which one you get; you can turn any one of them into another.

Last edited:

ampeq

Reaction score
Totally possible. The Atomica, Gargoyle, Chupa, and Yeti are all the same circuit. Just small value changes here and there for voicing. If you're handy with a soldering iron it doesn't matter which one you get; you can turn any one of them into another.
I would check with Nik before doing anything crazy. I was just looking at the board layouts and the Yeti & Chupa are the only two that look similar. The other two are completely different looking. They can all be changed around though in one way or the other, however I would check with Nik to find out what to change to get what you may be after.

Latest posts